Notices

Looking at World through Sober Eyes

Old 02-15-2013, 04:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking at World through Sober Eyes

Ok. I know that I'm new and that I've only been sober for 12 days. (Today is day 13!)

However I see things a little differently now.

For example, a popular morning news show here in the US changes over to a talk format around 10am and they're always boozing away at 10 am. They get pretty drunk too. Literally every single weekday at 10 am they're drinking wine on TV and getting hammered.

How is that good for people to see every day? I can now see that it could be offensive to recovering alcoholics. Not to mention setting a bad example for kids and teens that might be home on a weekday from school.

Don't get me wrong, I am FAR from a goody two shoes and don't usually get in people's business. But that's just an example.

Has anyone else had experiences where after you've become sober and committed to change your life, you see the world differently?
Old 02-15-2013, 04:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes clarity, I have more clarity now!

Are you referring to Kathie Lee Gilford?
Old 02-15-2013, 04:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just a guess, but I presume that you are talking about Kathy Lee Gifford on the Today show? It is almost a shame that they have been boozing it up on air for so long. I remember one time they blasting Lindsey Lohan for her substance abuse problems then proceeded to break into wine. (No joke)
Old 02-15-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah I'm talking about Kathie Lee and Hoda. I wasn't sure what I was allowed to say on forums. I have seen guest hosts also get super tanked live on the air at 10:30 am. Especially around holidays (St. Patty's, New Years etc.)

I used to think it was a little strange, but now that I'm sober I see it and it gives me the creeps! I just wondered if you guys ever thought anything of it because now I can see it from a different angle. I don't want my kid to watch it and think its perfectly normal to get smashed at 10:00 am.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

My kids are grown now, but if I turned back the clock 10 years and they were younger and at home, I think I would have to hold them at gunpoint to make them watch Kathie Lee and Hoda.

Your point is made, but I had much more influence over my kids than those two twinkies ever could have. Unfortunately, the example I set was also much worse.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've never watched that show but one thing I've noticed recently since I stopped drinking is how many people's comments and posts on Facebook revolve around drinking. "Funny" jokes about wine for dinner, clearly drunken ramblings posted at 2AM, comments about drinking the weekend away... it was sort of gross seeing one after another. Not that I'm anyone to judge obviously, a few short weeks ago that was me, but seeing it now as a sober person, it just seems really sad and pathetic.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlisonW View Post
I've never watched that show but one thing I've noticed recently since I stopped drinking is how many people's comments and posts on Facebook revolve around drinking. "Funny" jokes about wine for dinner, clearly drunken ramblings posted at 2AM, comments about drinking the weekend away... it was sort of gross seeing one after another. Not that I'm anyone to judge obviously, a few short weeks ago that was me, but seeing it now as a sober person, it just seems really sad and pathetic.
I notice that too. And I'm far from uptight and stuffy. I just see it more because I'm aware. I don't judge them because like you said, that was me not too long ago. I did have to "unlike" Miller Light and Bud Light and any other beer/wine/liquor company because the target ads were showing up in my news feed.

Nonsensical, I hear you. My son is 8 and one of the main reasons I no longer drink. I grew up seeing my father drunk all the time. Now that my son is getting older, he was starting to see me at family gatherings drinking with everyone. A couple times I blacked out and undoubtedly was stumbling and goofy. I will never let him see me without control again. I guess that's when I knew I crossed the line and was powerless to alcohol.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Clarity713 View Post
I notice that too. And I'm far from uptight and stuffy. I just see it more because I'm aware. I don't judge them because like you said, that was me not too long ago. I did have to "unlike" Miller Light and Bud Light and any other beer/wine/liquor company because the target ads were showing up in my news feed.
I did the same thing, went through and deleted/unlike any alcohol companies and also bars and restaurants that advertise a lot of drink specials and things. Just don't need the additional constant reminders...
Old 02-15-2013, 08:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Same here. I had to delete/unlike bars, breweries, wineries.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Another horrible offender is Cougar Town... I don't even think that there is a scene in the entire series without alcohol

I used to enjoy the show, but now I can only take it in small doses.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have thought the same thing about both shows!