Notices

Completely new to this

Old 02-14-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome Carmen, another Day 1 for me. I grew up in a drinking culture - my parents, grand parents, friends. I had my first beer at 14. By the time I was out of my teens I was binge drinking every weekend. I have been pretty much every weekend since then too (I'm in my 50's). All I can say is if I knew then what I know now I would have gotten help. You are doing the right thing because believe me it only gets harder the longer you wait. Good Luck.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Louise82 View Post
Thanks for your reply to my post and for your kind words. I'm glad that being here is helping you.

Again I think I can relate to what you mean about your mother and your friends because I'm going through a similar thing. My mum's a recent widow after my stepdad died a couple of years ago (he died from alcohol-related problems and that still didn't stop me drinking at the time). She also has diabetes and other health problems so I don't want to burden her.

My friends have also cut me off with a joke when I've brought up deep subjects in the past, such as my faith. I'm just avoiding them at the moment because I don't have the energy to deal with them, but I guess I'll eventually have to come up with a plan to face them.

So at the moment I'm getting most of my support from here at SR, online AA meetings and face-to-face AA meetings. The first meeting I went to, I was one of only 3 women there, the only black person there and one of the youngest people there, but no one made a big fuss about me being there. I was treated just like everyone else. That's what great about AA, wherever you live.
It sure sounds like we have a lot in common, both good and bad! I never expected to see such similarities to my own life in anyone else's when I decided to get on here. In a way it also helps me realizing that I might actually have a real problem, when I see that others not completely unlike me also do.

I'm sorry about your stepdad and your mum - I hope she's OK despite of everything. My mother "only" lost her job, and everything went downhill from there. I guess finding yourself unemployed, on welfare and pretty much uneducated in your 50's doesn't make you want to jump up and down in joy. I just hope she's getting better soon - it's strange having to mother one's own mother.

Thank you for sharing your experience regarding AA, makes it a little bit less terrifying for me to consider Also, I'm glad you're getting the help you need!
Old 02-14-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VJ99 View Post
Welcome Carmen, another Day 1 for me. I grew up in a drinking culture - my parents, grand parents, friends. I had my first beer at 14. By the time I was out of my teens I was binge drinking every weekend. I have been pretty much every weekend since then too (I'm in my 50's). All I can say is if I knew then what I know now I would have gotten help. You are doing the right thing because believe me it only gets harder the longer you wait. Good Luck.
Thanks for sharing your story with me! I have no trouble understanding how easy it is to proceed that way - and that's also what I'll probably do if I don't change anything about my drinking habits. I truly appreciate your thoughts on this. Good luck to you too, I hope you'll get to where you want to be as soon as possible. I believe in you!