Notices

Valentines day bah !!!!!

Old 02-13-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Valentines day bah !!!!!

Hi all , so it's valentines day here already. I know load of commercial tosh right ? Still , was keenly aware of waking up alone this morning and knowing I won't even be getting a phone call Bc of the " space" we are taking. Still feeling ripped off by that but working my way thru it. However, I did wake up hangover free and took the kids to school. I watched a tv prog I recorded and gave myself a pedicure. I rang the therapist I've been putting off for a week and I'm going to force myself to the gym today. Just wanted to say to anyone else who is feeling fragile on this day, your not alone, I am too and I'm commited to not drowning my sorrows tonight in a bucket of red wine. Best x
Old 02-13-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't buy into it.
It's a Hallmark holiday.

My wife and I exchange gifts and whatnot all year round.
We just ignore Valentines Day

D
Old 02-13-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I kept thinking "Today is going to be my first Valentine's Day in a decade single" and have tried to replace it with "This is going to be my first Valentine's Day in a decade SOBER." I think there's lots of love here even if not with chocolates and flowers. Big hug from me, Stay strong!
Old 02-13-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah. Lets say happy sober 14 th of feb to each other x I started buying myself flowers every week anyway x
Old 02-13-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, I'm going to bed alone tonight and I could feel sad about that. But I am going to bed SOBER and seriously, for that I rejoice. I do wish TV would stop showing all those ads of romantic couples drinking wine and champagne. But why should it bother me? I don't care if they show ads for cars or baby clothes - two other things I don't have any requirement for in my life right now (and don't want!)
Old 02-13-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Being completely honest. If he were here tonight, we might go out, might stay in, but we would drink, lots. If we didn't fight and went to bed together ? I can pretty much say hundred percent I wouldn't remember what happened when the lights went out. If you get my gist. That's pretty sad. So at least I know that ain't gunna happen.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Im sorry, I know this Valentines sucks for me too, I just got my final divorce papers in the mail today - UGH! Happy F'in Valentines day

I just have to proud of myself that I am 30 days sober today.

Hang in there Seiceps!
Old 02-13-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by YouRmySunshine View Post
Im sorry, I know this Valentines sucks for me too, I just got my final divorce papers in the mail today - UGH! Happy F'in Valentines day

I just have to proud of myself that I am 30 days sober today.

Hang in there Seiceps!
Seiceps, just think though, you have a future that will be better for next Valentine's. Embrace yourself for taking care of you, and you know there will be plenty of us around tomorrow.

YouRmy ~ Ugh, sorry to hear that, Happy F'in Valentine's is right.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

We can believe what we are told.

We can believe what we feel.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Valentines Day has never meant that much to me. BUT, it will be my sober anniversary. Four months. I didnt realize it when I stopped back in October. Quite frankly, I did'nt even know what day it was when I quit.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's hard to not get caught up in the commercial business of Valentine's Day, but don't let it put you over the edge. It's just another day.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Here's a Hallmark Valentine's Story:

In 2007, I won two night's at a resort in an another state. We decided to go for Valentine's, and take the train. We added on an extra night, plus the railfare, plus Valentine's dinner, plus spa treatments, shopping in the big city before departure... it ended up being a several-thousand-dollar "free" trip.

Of course, we were drunk the whole time and I don't remember much.

But I do remember that, in the morning before the train got in to the station, our sleeping car porter asked us to leave our room while he made it up for later departure. I had a fantasy of getting it on in the public shower, so downstairs we went. As we were in the shower together, I noticed that I could see the tracks go by through the drain and I was distracted. Many years later, my wife said she felt I abused her in that shower--the only time she has ever said this.

Yup, that was a Hallmark Valentine all right. Today, just being with a sober mate is a gift we share every day.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Even though I don't really believe in Valentine's day at all, I always end up feeling completely miserable. If i'm in a relationship, I'm usually disappointed; if I'm dating, it's usually terribly awkward; if I'm single (most years) I feel depressed and alone, left out. And in all cases I end up drunk and crying into my wine. For this first time in easily a decade I'm going to be so happy to actually be sober (and alone - but sober!) tomorrow. And that - staying sober - is the most important thing I can do right now to ultimately find the kind of relationship I want anyway!
Old 02-13-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yrmysunshine that does totally suck, I'm sorry.x
Thought I'd share this with you guys. Just checked the mail, amount the bills a handwritten card. It said : this card is from someone who really admires you and us glad of your friendship. It comes from me. I think you are very special and I just want you to know how lucky I feel to have such a true and dear friend as you. All my love c
Awwwww
This is from one of my best friends, what a honey aye.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well to all my SR Friends out there

I guess we have each other today!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sorry people. I don't really want to say this but feel like I should be honest. Epic fail. I bought the wine. I couldn't stand the sound of my own head anymore. I went to the gym , I went for a walk. I feel like I've wasted your time for giving me your energy. I couldn't stand tonight or the arguing in my head. I don't have enough to get toasted, just enough to numb a bit. And no doubt ill be wishing I had more when it's done. Didn't even manage three days ! But I have gained a lot from all of your posts. Even though I havnt quite managed to make it work tonight.
Ugh. This is really hard work. Doing it and not doing it. It's all hard.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
xuse

Yep a Hallmark holiday but we do get the kids candy
Old 02-14-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Seceips ... Honesty is good. That voice got to you. Do not beat yourself up. It is a new day....it is a new day

Stay with us you are not wasting our energy. We are here to listen and support.

Sending hugs and prayers your way. You can do this
Old 02-14-2013, 07:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Valentines day: An excuse to buy yourself expensive chocolate!!!!

I broke up with my boyfriend on monday but i never celebrate valentines day anyway so it doesn't bother me that much.

Anyway, who says LOVING YOURSELF doesn't count! I think that's the most important love we have... without it little else is possible

(again, any excuse to binge on godiva...)