Notices

New to this site and want to introduce myself

Old 02-13-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this site and want to introduce myself

Hello: I am new to this site and have been struggling with binge drinking for a few years. I stopped binge drinking about 2 years ago but have recently started again for about the last 6 months. It has started to take a toll on my marriage and on me physically. It's always been a closely guarded secret and now I am finally admitting it to friends and am ready to get help. My last binge was last week - Friday to be exact - I drank 2 bottles of vodka and woke up on Monday morning feeling horrible. I tell myself that I just want to drink so I can sleep...I struggle with insomnia and lately with depression. Not sure what else to say right now but I feel a little better having said what I have so far.

Thanks for listening!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi Connor, welcome to SR. It's a great place to find support and share your story. You'll find that there is just about nothing you can say that will shock anyone here about your drinking past, so feel free to let it all out if that helps you feel better.

Congrats on your honesty too, for me personally admitting the fact that I have a problem and being honest with others was the biggest step towards solving the problem. Read lots, and write as little or as much as you want, but definitely stick around...you won't regret it!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! This place is great for support and we all "get it." Sometimes it feels great just to get stuff off your chest here. And others' experience here is invaluable. Best of luck to you!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR. Lots of great information here, so make sure you read through the various forums.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome.

Originally Posted by Connor11 View Post
I tell myself that I just want to drink so I can sleep...I struggle with insomnia and lately with depression.
Next time, use the real reason. Tell yourself that you drink because you are struggling with an alcohol problem, perhaps even alcoholism. It will help with acceptance. With acceptance you move forward with recovery and the idea that you will never drink again.

Embrace a sober life and you will likely see that depression lift.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Hi there,

Welcome to the forums. Hopefully you find what you are looking for.

Natom.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Connor
whats your plan?

D
Old 02-13-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello;

You're right; talking about it makes us feel better. It is a part of the process.

That is why I joined today. Communicating will help me resist the strong temptations I have been feeling lately, in spite of years of sobriety. If I am drinking or if I am not drinking, I am an alcoholic and I have to keep my guard up.

I'm pleased to have found this site and expect it will help me be stronger. I hope that is true for you also.

Stay strong and keep fighting the good fight!

RobertP
Old 02-13-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I read the messages you received and I want to reinforce what one of them asked you; what is your plan?

Forethought and preparation are needed by most of us, I think, when push comes to shove and craving is powerful. It can make the difference between resisting and giving in.

RobertP
Old 02-14-2013, 01:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post

Next time, use the real reason. Tell yourself that you drink because you are struggling with an alcohol problem, perhaps even alcoholism. It will help with acceptance.
Yes. Love this, so simple but so true.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well then, Connor, you and I can get back on track together. I stopped binging two years ago and then picked up the wine bottle(s) again about 6 months ago. Take comfort from the support and sound advice of many here.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Connor x
Old 02-14-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My plan right now is to get up everyday and say something positive to myself instead of the awful dialog I usually say to myself. I didn't sleep a wink last night but got up this morning and took my dog for a walk around our 6 acre farm a few times. My husband is not very understanding - so that hurts a lot. He is really just over it and doesn't understand depression. I did have a cry fest last night and he did give me a big hug and tell me everything was going to be okay. He is trying his best. I plan on going to an AA meeting tomorrow morning. I'm just taking things literally hour by hour. I have no desire to drink at all....It seems strange to say that I have never really been a big social drinker but it's those nights when I can't sleep that I want to drink so I can sleep.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kizzie View Post
Well then, Connor, you and I can get back on track together. I stopped binging two years ago and then picked up the wine bottle(s) again about 6 months ago. Take comfort from the support and sound advice of many here.
Yes Kizzie....sounds like we both are going through the same thing! Reading through the forums have helped alot. I know I am not alone.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Connor11 View Post
but it's those nights when I can't sleep that I want to drink so I can sleep.
Then I hope you find you sleep better sober like I did. After the first couple of weeks of sleepless nights I have never slept better If that's not the case for you though I am sure there are some better alternatives to alcohol to help you get some sleep x
Old 02-14-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I never slept well while drinking - how ironic?? I am a big tea drinker and harvest my own chamomile here at the farm - so that will be my drink of choice - that and valerian root tea. I know it helps - I just have to turn my brain off at night. Just had a long talk with my husband and he is just so angry at it all. I'm trying not to let that get to me so I can stay focused. I taped a bunch of inspiring quotes on my dresser mirror today. If I mess up again - I know it will be over with my husband and I and I don't want that at all. Thanks everyone!