Notices

Surprised after taking stock of my drinking

Old 02-13-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Surprised after taking stock of my drinking

This is one of the things so many people recommend, but I have never done before this morning. I finally did a cost and benefit assessment of my drinking. I was very surprised to only come up with four benefits. Only two of those which I would consider "real" and neither was unique to alcohol, meaning I could find them elsewhere. The two "real" ones were camaraderie and taste.

The list of costs seemed endless as I had no trouble filling an entire column for a page. It was great motivation to stay sober today. Now, to keep this motivation clear in my mind!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
Only two of those which I would consider "real" and neither was unique to alcohol, meaning I could find them elsewhere. The two "real" ones were camaraderie and taste.
With some reflection, you might discover these are illusionary too.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I'm with carl on this one - camaraderie is fleeting, for the most part, when alcohol is involved. It can be fun, no doubt, but it's short lived. It doesn't have the flavour of a true deep friendship or relationship.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Paul, I agree it is only fleeting, but that doesn't make it any less real. It is, however, quite insignificant when stacked against even a few of the costs - especially as the costs tend to be long-term in nature.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Leverage is a great way to get perspective and give us compelling reasons to truely live life again. In many cases we are caught up in the moment, and drinking seems like the best and only option, which is nothing more than illusion. Hanging on tight to this list would give anyone enough reasons to play out situations in their mind rather than act on impulse. Perhaps if we beleive there are absolutely no upsides to drinking, drinking will serve us less and less