Notices

What can come of me being alcoholic?

Old 02-13-2013, 05:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

What can come of me being alcoholic?

When I discover something about myself that I attribute to being just Ken.... Who I am or innate... I try to exploit it for my benefit.

I cannot be sure applying that logic to drinking and drugging can be done sanely. I guess the translation of that is simply a positive attitude.

What then can come from accepting I am alcoholic? It's not a talent. But it does not need to end as a curse.

Accepting it means I care in some way. I get angry a lot about it. I wrestle my AV to the ground and pin it yet there is no great feeling of success. Just relief I made it past another attempt on my life at its hand.

I am compassionate toward others but not to myself. Understanding addiction gives me a way to be kinder to myself.

Now that I see what I have done, I have a way out. Before I closed my eyes and pretended it was not there. I can pretend a cliff is not in front of me all I want. Does not mean I won't be head long down it. But now I can see the cliff. The choice to jump is mine alone.

I don't know.... I can use what I have learned to help myself or hurt myself. There are days I swing wildly between the options. I see many here do the same.

But as each sober day passes I guess I come to the same conclusion over and over. With each swing of the mood....

I am one of the lucky ones. Someone who saw and changed. And continues to change. That's a pretty cool thing.

Ok.... Philosophical ken has to get to work today.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

You lit the path when I was groping around in darkness. That's what can come of it.

Have a great day at work, Philosophical Ken.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Generally speaking. recognizing when we are self destructive is essential to our survival. Silencing addictive voice allowed me to discover my destructive voice.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

That's really good escapist! I never thought of that. Thanks.

I am having a good day. Productive. Just had a lot in the head this morning I wanted to share.

Have a good day!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I am one of the lucky ones. Someone who saw and changed. And continues to change. That's a pretty cool thing.

In my experience the more we accept change , maybe even become the assertive drivers / instigators behind changes we turn from a "why me ?" to a look what i just managed to do

Bestwishes, M
Old 02-13-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I do not label myself alcoholic. I used to be addicted to alcohol. I don't drink, so now I'm not. I am very careful about all the labels that could be applied to me. If they are useful and serve a purpose, then I use them, otherwise, I don't.

Not everything I do or don't do is because I was once addicted to alcohol.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Your mistaken by saying that alcoholics have no talent. Infact, I beleive they are the most motivated, most driven people, on the planet but simply have put their focus on drinking. Isnt it so true that we would do anything for a drink or a drug? The truth is that many alcoholics are very very good at what they do, being an alcoholic. This means your an expert and high acheiver in this area!

Congratulate yourself, but getting angry and beating yourself up will never empower you. Accepting that past behaviors and our disease is just a SMALL PART of us and not the whole picture is when I beleive acceptance truely happens. Simply accepting that alcohol no longer serves you and you are a non-drinker can be more empowering that limiting oneself to a label or incurable disease.

If you are alive rite now, above the ground with clothes on your back, its sometimes hard to feel grateful but at times we need to do just that. If you are swinging between the options I would recommend that you find enough "why" reasons to compell you into a direction you can feel certain you want.