Notices

Need help from someone who's been there.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need help from someone who's been there.

Hi,
I am struggling horribly with opiat addiction, just a few days ago I told myself and someone very close to me that I would never be clean, I have struggled with this for so long and I was on suboxone for 4 years which I finally got off of only because I was in jail for a month, I dont want to go back to that as I feel it was just as addictive, if not more than the rest of it. I'm tired...tired of chasing pills everyday, tired of lying, trying to scroung up money, tired of feeling like i cant even start my day untill i find something. All I want in this world is to wake up in the morning and just feel good, even ok with nothing. please if anyone has overcome opiate addiction, please tell me how, it would be ecspecially nice to talk to someone else who has been on suboxone for years and has come off it. I know theres no magic answer, and ive been in recovery for years, but this time seems so much harder. thanks to anyone who reads this.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bessy

although I've never been on opiates or subs, I know you'll find a lot of support here

do check out our substance abuse forum and our suboxone maintenance forums too

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Suboxone/Methadone Maintenance or Detox - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

If you feel you need more help to get you through the bad times have you considered something like NA for example?

D
Old 02-12-2013, 09:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Been there

Sorry your going through so much pain right now.My heart goes out to you. I have been there just with diff drugs. I had to go to rehab to quit. If you can get just little time you will begin to feel a bit better each day.

Hang in there!
Old 02-12-2013, 10:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Detoxing

Originally Posted by Bessy View Post
Hi,
I am struggling horribly with opiat addiction,
Hi Bessy I was on methadone maintenance for 4 yrs and quit cold turkey and ended up with a seizure and hospitalized for a month. I would highly reccomend you find a detox. I found a free one In Florida. If you look hard enough you can find one in your area. They will keep you reasonably comfortable for about 7 days and then I would suggest NA Meetings as many as Possible. Don't be freaked out about a detox. It really is the easiest way I have found and I have been in a detox 5 times but it is not a cure to addiction. I go to a meeting a day.Work a 12 step program. I will be happy to help you do some research. You can get clean. I promise. Gonna require some effort though. Talk to your doctor , ask his advice.Prayers your way!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
YEM
05/07/2011

I was heavy into Opiates for years. Did the typical progression of pain pills > Oxy > Heroin > Suboxone > Heroin over and over. It finally all came to a head and I picked up some serious charges and had to detox in jail. Once out I went to treatment and then moved into a recovery home for 6 months. I did 90 NA meetings in 90 days, have a sponsor, work steps and still go to around 3 meetings a week. I have 648 days clean as of today.

At first it is not easy but once you get a good routine and really work on yourself, it gets a lot easier and then you realize that your life is better now than you could have imagined. You can stay clean if you want to and this life is full of love and is wonderful once you get yourself out of the fog.

Edit: I forgot to add that because I am clean and am doing the right thing, My charges were dismissed and my arrest record expunged.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Narcotics Anonymous can save you Bessy. Look up their number in the phone book and call them.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 02-14-2013, 10:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thank you for reply

Originally Posted by deeker View Post
Hi Bessy I was on methadone maintenance for 4 yrs and quit cold turkey and ended up with a seizure and hospitalized for a month. I would highly reccomend you find a detox. I found a free one In Florida. If you look hard enough you can find one in your area. They will keep you reasonably comfortable for about 7 days and then I would suggest NA Meetings as many as Possible. Don't be freaked out about a detox. It really is the easiest way I have found and I have been in a detox 5 times but it is not a cure to addiction. I go to a meeting a day.Work a 12 step program. I will be happy to help you do some research. You can get clean. I promise. Gonna require some effort though. Talk to your doctor , ask his advice.Prayers your way!
I have been to detox quite a few times actually, but not since being on suboxone, the problem, where i live, and most other states ive researched, is they give you suboxone or subutex, same thing, to detox you off of suboxone....stupid, i know. as you probably know they use suboxone as a detox med. I could however go now, ive been taking alot of other opiates and suboxone again when i dont have anything else. i feel like they would need to lock me up for a year though. Thank you so much for your advice.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you. that was very encouraging and i could definately relate. can you tell me how long it took for your body to start feeling better, thats what im finding so impossible about opiates, ive quit other things and as hard as it was, nothing nothing has been like trying to quit opiates. I dont want to seem like im whining, but i have a very active 2 year old to take care of, i have to cook and clean and go back to work soon, i know this is **** that normal people have to do everyday, but how do I do anything when i feel like im dying? I just need to know how long it will be untill im not sick anymore and how much longer for the lethargy to pass. again thank you.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Bessy. It CAN be done. Trust me, I'm with you. Subs, percs, Vics, morphine..been in that horrible cycle for years. And believe me I know about the money, trying to score, running out, being sick AGAIN, then scoring again. WAY too many times! These things will ruin you. Theres no end to their power over you. Example? Last March, my very best friend died in a motorcycle accident. Devistated me! A month prior to his death he had bought me a very expensive rifle as a gift because we hunted together all the time. Yup, pawned that thing less than 2 months after his death...for $200 and went straight to buy pills. Of course it was only after selling off every other thing I could find that wasnt bolted down around my familys home. 4 dirt bikes, my trailer, guitars, amps..the list goes on.
The good news? I'm 11 days clean and sitting here talking to you with a clear head. Feeling awesome!! Get some imodium. Generic. Cheap. I took plenty in the first 3 days and it made the WD manageable. Then got off that and havent looked back. I can promise you, it gets ALOT better. Hang in there. We're here for you!
Old 02-15-2013, 06:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Bessy, you say you have been to detox before. Getting clean isn't your problem.... doing what it takes to STAY clean is your problem.

NA will help you with that.

If you think you have more important things to do than get/stay clean then do them. You will be responsible for your choices.

I wish you the best.

Bob R