Notices

isolation in early sobriety

Old 02-11-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

powerlessness

Originally Posted by opgirl View Post
I posted a few weeks ago that it was another Monday morning...Day 1. Well, I've not been successful at quitting my weekend binges.
Hi Op, please read this link on step 1 in AA 12 and 12 book.http://www.aa.org/twelveandtwelve/en_pdfs/en_step1.pdf

I think you may find it helpful.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Opgirl,

I think there is a difference between isolating and initially avoiding events where it would be all to easy to relapse. I've been to a couple and it was hard, but with practise it will get easier. It is after all, a new experience.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melissa6381 View Post
How is it for you guys when your spouse brings it into the home?
My partner and I were big drinkers (her less than me, but she moderates and manages it). When I stopped drinking she asked me how I would feel if she was around me drinking in the house and I told her I didn't think it would bother me one way or the other.

Actually it turned out that I am not as ok with it as I thought I would be. I found I was fine with her having a glass of wine when we are on the couch but when we are doing something together on the computer and she is swigging out of a beer bottle right next to me I found that very uncomfortable so asked her not to.

I find I'm not in the least bit tempted with alcohol in the house but I know I have beaten the drinking alone thing and will never do it again. The challenge for me is that the desire to have a social drink whilst out is still strong.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think that some isolation early on in recovery is a bad thing. My life was out of control and when I stopped drinking, I had to spend some time taking stock and figuring out how to fix some of the messes I'd made. It felt very good to get something accomplished each day and it made me feel more positive. After a few weeks, I got involved with some volunteer work and it felt like the right time for me to venture out into the world.

I applaud you for knowing that you can't and don't want to spend time with people who are drinking and they're not even people you particularly care about. Go with your instinct and back off from the group for awhile, at least. Open your mind to meeting new people and doing new things.