Notices

Binge drinking

Old 02-13-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by christyham View Post
Hi thanks for sharing. I really don't know why I do it I have a great wife to kids and a good job I'm not rich but can pay bills with some left over. I am sporty and play rugby and have recently started to jog with the hope of doing a marathon. So having said all this u think I should be happy which I am!! But when I go out and drink involved I just go off the rails. There's us history in the family of drink and my uncle was an alcoholic but give up 15 years ago. I do think this is a problem in my genes and that I just can't handle the stuff. I am normally quiet and reserved but with drink I am a totally different person. I have 3 brothers who I am very close to and to be honest they have a similar problem. Although they don't get into the depression and downer that I have after drink. This has been the worst yet it's hard to hide it from my family and work. I just have no interest in life this week and would love to just lock myself away and hide from the world.

i have often wondered if its something in the genes of my family. at one point or another every member of my immediate family has had a problem with drink, none of us can drink responsibly.

i spent the entire of last week feeling like **** because of what i did...complete madness to think im tempted to go crazy at the weekend again already. the few hours of pre-blackout fun is not worth the ****** week that follows.

best piece of advice i have is forgive yourself!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by janiebluebird View Post
Binge drinking is my problem as well. It is easy for me to try to convince myself that I'm not an alcoholic because I don't drink daily, or early in the morning. But I am. Its not okay to drink myself to stupidity and act accordingly. Acceptance is the first step because as long as you are on the fence about it, you'll find excuses. Or you'll think that maybe you can moderate it. I actually did about half the time - usually if the people I was with weren't going to continue drinking. Given the chance, though, I'd drink all night. Alcohol beats me every time. I have no choice but to leave it out of my life.
100% DITTO on the above. In fact, almost all my early threads/posts have been about this.

So in answer to your question, YES! I can relate.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

New to this site as well - binge drinking

Hello: I am new to this site and have been struggling with binge drinking for a few years. I stopped binge drinking about 2 years ago but have recently started again for about the last 6 months. It has started to take a toll on my marriage and on me physically. It's always been a closely guarded secret and now I am finally admitting it to friends and am ready to get help. My last binge was last week - Friday to be exact - I drank 2 bottles of vodka and woke up on Monday morning feeling horrible. I tell myself that I just want to drink so I can sleep...I struggle with insomnia and lately with depression. Not sure what else to say right now but I feel a little better having said what I have so far.

Thanks for listening!
Old 02-13-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by christyham View Post
Thanks Mellisa that just describes what I have done. 2 days of trying to recover wondering what I done or who I offended. Going to be another long night where can't sleep.
Try not to dwell in the last it's done now. I am the worst binge drinker I know, well I just go on and on till I'm starting fights with my friends or passed out somewhere being a nuisance. Day 25 for me and I feel miles better. Get past the first few weeks you'll feel mikes better. I found that when I was as you said in the guilty stage (which is a awful feeling) I wrote down in my notebook on phone how I felt at the time for instance... day 2 feel guilty about this that and the other and the reasons why. Then day 3.... Etc etc cos like me I'm sure you feel guilty for weeks and vow never to do it again then cos you e forgotten how you felt you do it again. So every time I want to go out and binge I read my notes from day 2 to present day and look at the change and think na it's not worth it.
I've actually done things on Sundays too which is amazing (normally spent in bed literally dying) chin up and try not to beat yourself up but do write it down as I think it will help you in the future