Notices

My awesome post-relapse plan

Old 02-10-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

My awesome post-relapse plan

I should have shared this with you earlier - after 3 weeks sober, I had a 2 week relapse. I've just finished Day 1 (again).

So obviously what I was doing before wasn't working, so I've come up with an awesome new plan and just wanted to share it with you all (as well as other people) so I stay accountable and humble.

Operation Awesome
  1. Log into at least one online AA meeting a day
  2. Go to at least one face-to-face AA/NA meeting a week and actually start talking to people
  3. Spend at least 1/2 hour a day reading Big Book
  4. Spend at least 1/2 hour a day working the Steps.
  5. Spend at least 1 hour a day getting and providing support on SR
  6. Eat lots of healthier, flavoursome food, especially fruit and vegetables.
  7. Take my antidepressants at the same time every day.
  8. Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day
  9. Spend at least 5 minutes a day with Jesus, my Higher Power, even if it's just praying in bed before getting up in the morning
  10. Read through my list of sobriety quotes for at least 1/2 hour a day.
  11. Sleep 10 hours a day, at least until I have more sober time under my belt

I'm self-employed, so I can cut down/rearrange my workload to accommodate for all this, at least for the time being. My sobriety is the most important thing right now. I was barely doing any work when I was drinking anyway, so I may as well barely do any work and stay sober. I'm reviewing this plan at the end of March, so we'll see then if I make any alterations to it.

Also, here's a list of alternative activities I'm going to pick from whenever I get a craving:
  1. Call/meet up with someone from AA/NA
  2. Call/meet up with anyone else who isn't an enabler or who can't be in my life right now
  3. SR or AA Online chat
  4. Online AA meeting
  5. F-2-F AA/NA meeting
  6. Pray/pray and read the Bible
    1. Tea/coffee/cocoa
    2. Eat/drink something else non-alcoholic
    3. Sleep
    4. Dance in my living room
    5. Play Fairway Solitaire
    6. Play Heroes of Hellas
      1. Browse the SR games
      2. Browse Swagbucks games
      3. Browse Big Fish games
      4. TV
      5. Watch something from my DVR
      6. DVDs
        1. Listen to CDs
        2. Listen to Classical FM
        3. Light matches and watch them burn out
        4. Go buy paint. Paint something. Literally watch paint dry.
        5. Read sobriety quotes
        6. Have a bath
          1. Browse Digital Spy forums
          2. Read newspaper/magazine
          3. Scribble
          4. Work the steps
          5. Read Big Book
          6. Write

ETA: Sorry about the odd numbering. I'm not very good at doing lists on here yet.
    Old 02-10-2013, 08:11 PM
      # 2 (permalink)  
    ~sb

Best wishes on your sober journey!
    Old 02-10-2013, 08:44 PM
      # 3 (permalink)  

Nice job coming up with a plan that fits you best. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders; don't suppress all that mind power with alcohol! Best wishes!
    Old 02-10-2013, 08:49 PM
      # 4 (permalink)  
    Sobriety is Traditional

Great plan, Louise!

I look forward to hearing more from you here at SR!
    Old 02-10-2013, 10:06 PM
      # 5 (permalink)  
    Keeping it simple!

Wow Louise that is awesome!
    Old 02-11-2013, 05:33 AM
      # 6 (permalink)  
    Been there, done that!

i have had many plans, ideas, thoughts that i must just be missing 1 vital bit of the recovery jigsaw, if only i done that instead of this etc.
    i have come to realise that if you really want recovery you will get it even on the moon, there is no magic plan, its a journey a path that i believe changes as time goes on. good luck
    Old 02-11-2013, 11:07 AM
      # 7 (permalink)  

Great post and plan Louise! I think that its a really good idea to have your plan broken down into exact points as you have done especially in advance of any crisis cravings so that you know exactly what you can do instead. Ive been planning on doing the same and have started my list (love lists!)
    Please keep us up to date on how you are doing with these, would be great to hear!
    Very inspiring post so thank you
    Old 02-11-2013, 04:55 PM
      # 8 (permalink)  
    Faith and reason

Thanks for all your responses and support, everyone. It's really made me think and I'll definitely keep you updated.

Originally Posted by Peacehappyness View Post
    Great post and plan Louise! I think that its a really good idea to have your plan broken down into exact points as you have done especially in advance of any crisis cravings so that you know exactly what you can do instead. Ive been planning on doing the same and have started my list (love lists!)
    Please keep us up to date on how you are doing with these, would be great to hear!
    Very inspiring post so thank you
    Yes, I love lists too! Which is a big reason why I've made a plan like this. I find that when I have to-do lists, I find it easier literally "to do" stuff. I realize that things change over time, but in my early days of sobriety, I at least want to have a "menu" of actions I know that's always there to refer to, no matter what the circumstances. If I order "off menu" too often, I end up literally ordering alcohol.
    Old 02-11-2013, 05:32 PM
      # 9 (permalink)  

Love this list Louise!!! Great to have many different plans actually written down. I make lists all the time. It is accountability and accomplishment checking off things on my list. This one is check and repeat! Any other ideas anyone has to add the the sobriety list???
    Old 02-11-2013, 08:27 PM
      # 10 (permalink)  
    Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Wow. Very thorough. Good luck.
    Old 02-19-2013, 01:26 PM
      # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Louise, just wondering how you were getting on with your plan and is it helping?
    Old 02-19-2013, 01:30 PM
      # 12 (permalink)  

Seem like you are setting yourself up to fail with those guidelines. How about stay sober and pick a few so you will have a harder time failing with your task. Just from personal experience.
    Old 02-19-2013, 01:45 PM
      # 13 (permalink)  
    Faith and reason

Hey Peacehappyness, thanks for thinking of me. I'm now nearing the end of Day 10. Although I haven't picked up a drink, ACT10Npack is right; there were too many guidelines. I just didn't have time for it all along with my work. So I've kind of naturally fallen into the habit of picking and choosing 2 or 3 different ones a day.

One thing that I have actually been doing every day is something that I didn't initially intend to, which just goes to show you can never tell how plans are going to evolve. It's not an exact science - once you've created a plan it takes on a mind of its own! The thing I've been doing every day is going to AA meetings. That's because I went to a meeting on Saturday and someone suggested I do that, so I'm giving that a go for the time being. I think it's important for me to take on board other people's suggestions as well as executing my own ideas. After all, it was trying to have everything my way, all the time, that got me into my current mess!
    Old 02-19-2013, 01:46 PM
      # 14 (permalink)  

Fantastic idea. I love the displacement activities you have identified. I can add a couple more that I'm doing:

Grown up colouring in. You can print detailed pictures off the Internet. Colouring is incredibly meditative!

Google unusual walks in London. I've discovered so many new places and quirky things. My fave so far was the '7 noses of soho' walk. I only found 4!

Good luck with your journey. I have not felt like drinking yet, but I plan on coming straight on SR if/when I do. This place is a life saver.

S x
    Old 02-19-2013, 01:51 PM
      # 15 (permalink)  

Solid plan I like it!
    Old 02-19-2013, 01:54 PM
      # 16 (permalink)  

I asked my AA sponsor what I should do, he said :"Don't drink and go to meetings".

All my very best plans landed me in rehab. I had to do it someone else's way.

I try to abide by the last 3 lines in AA's HOW IT WORKS ......

3 pertinent ideas:
    (a) That we were alcoholic and could not manage our own lives.
    (b) That probably no human power could have relieved our alcoholism.
    (c) That God could and would if He were sought.

All the best with your plan(s).

Bob R
    Old 02-19-2013, 02:16 PM
      # 17 (permalink)  
    Faith and reason

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
    I asked my AA sponsor what I should do, he said :"Don't drink and go to meetings".

All my very best plans landed me in rehab. I had to do it someone else's way.

I try to abide by the last 3 lines in AA's HOW IT WORKS ......

3 pertinent ideas:
    (a) That we were alcoholic and could not manage our own lives.
    (b) That probably no human power could have relieved our alcoholism.
    (c) That God could and would if He were sought.

All the best with your plan(s).

Bob R
    Thanks, Bob. The more sober time I have, the more I realize that I didn't really know before what it is to be powerless before alcohol. As a Christian, I've just started praying to God that I would surrender it all to Him. Just today He gave me an experience that showed me that I am powerless in front of my alcoholic thinking but that He is all powerful. He is my defence against that first drink because I have no defence of my own. His power is why I didn't pick up a drink today despite my powerlessness.
    Old 02-19-2013, 02:19 PM
      # 18 (permalink)  
    Faith and reason

Originally Posted by Sazzle View Post
    Fantastic idea. I love the displacement activities you have identified. I can add a couple more that I'm doing:

Grown up colouring in. You can print detailed pictures off the Internet. Colouring is incredibly meditative!

Google unusual walks in London. I've discovered so many new places and quirky things. My fave so far was the '7 noses of soho' walk. I only found 4!

Good luck with your journey. I have not felt like drinking yet, but I plan on coming straight on SR if/when I do. This place is a life saver.

S x
    Thanks for sharing, Sazzle! Just the other day, I was thinking about those colour-by-number books I used to do at prep. school. I can't remember what their proper name is, lol.

I'll definitely Google unusual walks. It's about time I got out and started really exploring this city, after living here nearly all my life!