Notices

This fire inside

Old 04-26-2004, 08:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Exclamation This fire inside

How do I put out this fire inside me.??

Is this all just alcohol craving.?? All I want to do is turn it off, but it won't go away. I can sit down and reason with myself why I shouldn't drink, - one will just lead to another and another and all the problems associated with the drinking will come straight back, I know this, I've been there, done it, but the wanting won't stop.

It drives me crazy sometimes. All the other little things in life that give me pleasure just all of a sudden become boring as hell if I start to think about drinking. Even eating becomes unnecessary if I think about a drink. I've tried all sorts of things ... chocolate, exercise, girls, favourite meals, but once my mind starts barking on about drinking it's almost like a red mist that comes down over me, and it's hard, real hard to say no ...... but I have said no today (thank God), but it won't go away. Does it ever go away, or is this what alcoholics have to battle with ...?? Does it get easier.?? Does coping become easier.??

What is the best way to deal with this want want WANT thing.?? Anyone got any strategies they use to shut it up.?? I think I'm learning a few of my own, but it's hard, very hard.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Re: This fire inside

Welcome JaySee.... It goes away, the feelings the cravings pass. I would go to an NA/AA meeting near you. There you will be able to have face to face conversations with people who have struggling like you have. These meetings have Experience,Strength and Hope. I would then get phone numbers of people there, and when I crave for something, pick up the phone and call someone. That's how I built a support group, by reaching out. The cravings hit me once in awhile but not like they used too. I know that they will pass.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jay,

I sure remember how hard it is to be going through what you are going through now. You are experiencing the obesession of the mind. For me, it made it hard to think about other things and I lost all interest in things that I used to enjoy. My world became smaller and smaller. The good news is Yes, the obsession does go away. And how it goes away is by saying 'no'. Each time you refuse to give in to the thought, you become stronger. This is a process and takes some time, but I think it's the only way to gain strength over the obsessive thoughts. The best way for me to get through this was to change my routines. I purposely did something different at the time of the day that was the hardest for me - like going for a walk, something like that. I found that changing the patterns in my life made it easier for me to cope. Jay it will get easier, don't worry about that.

Love, Anna
Old 04-26-2004, 08:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dan

Jay, the red mist you describe I know very well. It's the alcohol whispering to you, telling you to have another go at it. We alcoholics became such simply because we can easily talk ourselves into just about anything. The cravings hit and we react to them as alcoholics. Subconciously giving power to the substance. Anna speaks of a change of routine and this is so true. If you can try to isolate and identify the times your cravings become active, and allow yourself to change what you normally do at these times or where you normally go, or even the people you associate with, you stand a far better chance of dealing with the impulses cravings may produce. And Moontime also reminds us of what I consider Rule #1: Nothing comes close to easing a craving like the therapeutic value of telling on yourself to another alcoholic, much like you have done here. By surrounding ourselves with peers who can understand what we are going through, our road magically becomes less bumpy.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Jay, welcome to sober recovery, and wishing you the best on figuring this out. I have no answers for you, I'm working on figuring it out myself, I know I'm so sick and tired of it, so working as hard as I can to stay away from it. I know life will be so much better and HAPPIER sober. So I really hope you find your way with this, the sooner we stop this insanity the better, because that's what it is, INSANITY. When that demon sinks it's claws in us, it does everything in it's power to keep us there. I don't plan on letting it win, it's had enough fun with me, well this gal doesn't want to play anymore. I'm tired of dancing with the devil.

Wishing you all the best in finding your way, and I know you will, so many have, so many will, and SR is a bonus for you, you've been blessed finding the gang here, they will help you, but you have to do one thing, just ONE, and it's called LISTENING, they are the best teachers let me tell you.

Take care.....Denise
Old 04-26-2004, 01:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Chy

I had to make a list of pros and cons. I had to give those feelings life. Write it down. When they fester up thorugh-out the day or weeks. Find your list. Look at it carefully, and let what you've decided will and will not work for you reinforce yourself.

I hated writing stuff down, but when I begin to dialouge with myself this is the only way to get me and keep me in the right direction.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Salut Jay,
You are in the right place, lots of support, friendship and no judging.

indigo
Old 04-26-2004, 07:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Jay, I just wanted to echo what few others have already said. Change of routine is good. Just do somthing different to try and break things up and take your mind away from drinking. Also you should try to check out AA. If you feel as you say, You will feel at home, comforted, and welcome there. Best of luck.