Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Which of these things was the most key reason you finally tried recovery?

Notices
View Poll Results: Which of these things was the most key in finally leading you towards recovery?
Being confronted by (or the negative impact your use had on) loved ones
27.13%
Detriorating health or an acute health crisis
23.30%
Problems with (or loss of) employment or finances
6.96%
Legal problems that were caused or exacerbated by alcohol
4.52%
Complications with alcohol and mental health / illness
20.87%
A spiritual crisis or awakening
17.22%
Voters: 575. You may not vote on this poll

Which of these things was the most key reason you finally tried recovery?

Old 12-10-2013, 12:07 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Yeah, pretty much a combo of all. Sad. But I'm on my way back!
Old 05-23-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Anyone else?
Old 06-03-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I checked deteriorating health but my children played a huge role.

One day I woke up after a "normal" night of drinking and didn't remember what I fed them, what we talked about or what we did (I think I even drove somewhere). It was absolutely appalling/embarrassing, most horrible low moment. Even now, my kids look at a clear glass of liquid and assume it was vodka, not water. I had to change...

Pan
Old 06-03-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Deteriorating health . . . I vote for!!

I used to have 2 beers on a night out, that was my fill then home to bed, and that wasn't even on a night before work, strictly at the weekend, it sounds so sensible in hindsight, where did it all go wrong?

Fast forward 5 years, and I was drinking almost a bottle of whisky a night, throwing up every morning before work, blacking out into bed the next evening, feeling like death all day, simply surviving the working day.

Until one day abdominal pains started to creep up on me, all of a sudden I wasn't an invincible 20 year old anymore, and who was I kidding, alcohol was prime suspect number 1, something had to change!!
Old 06-03-2014, 07:55 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Usually there is a choice for "other"
Old 06-04-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Sober and lovin' it

I could have chosen most, if not all, of those options before I first started in my recovery. I wasn't necessarily confronted by a loved one, but on many occasions I confronted myself and attempted to quit. I've done so many ridiculous things that I should have quit about 5 years or more before I actually did, but I am glad I am finally sober now. It is my most treasured thing - sobriety.

I think the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back" for me was two things that happened on the same day. I was rejected for life insurance because I requested a prescription for Antabuse in the past, which I suppose counts as "treatment for alcoholism". The insurance companies in Canada are not necessarily lining up to give life insurance to people who have alcoholism in their past (documented alcoholism, I guess). The second thing was the fact that I have developed gastritis, which is a stomach condition the doctor's believe was caused by excessive alcohol consumption over the years. It is a very treatable condition, but it made me fully open my eyes and realize I am slowly killing my body. These were the last of many straws.

That being said, I am so happy it happened because I would still be obsessed with alcohol.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:48 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Anyone else?
Old 08-05-2014, 08:56 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Xune View Post
Mine isn't on there and I'm pretty sure it's a common one.

Realization that I was drinking too much, that I couldn't control my consumption and that it was slowly destroying my life.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Exactly this.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:02 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Apart from all the negative effects on my life...

My morals.

Calling in sick for work one day, I couldn't take any more lying. Not just to others, but to myself. This thing had me, and had now not only taken most everything dear to me, but was eating at my soul and my whole moral being.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:04 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

The depression and the missed opportunities were the biggest reasons.

Also, I got tired of always telling myself I didn't want to drink, then 10 beers later I still couldn't get enough...
Old 08-06-2014, 09:11 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Xune View Post
Mine isn't on there and I'm pretty sure it's a common one.

Realization that I was drinking too much, that I couldn't control my consumption and that it was slowly destroying my life.
I would definitely say this is exactly how I feel
Old 01-17-2022, 03:43 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Interesting one. I think when I first decided the reason was different, but I only saw it clearly after some recent extremely unexpected and unplanned spiritual awakening experiences.
Old 01-17-2022, 04:29 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

combination...my final wake up call was a car crash.... thank goodness no one else involved and I escaped unhurt... got caught at the scene by police and you know how the rest plays out

I do remember waking up in the police cell and thinking FINALLY...how much I hated alcohol.

I hate what I allowed it to take from me and I hate how weak I had become in allowing it to.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:54 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Known since I was in high school it was a problem for me. Just got lucky somehow and never had a DUI despite driving under the influence probably a thousand times in 40 years. Several accidents etc.

First time I tried to quit was when my first son was born in 1998. Second time was divorce 2008. Dr. gave me bad news in 2005. Fatty liver. Remarried in 2017. Been trying to quit since. 50/50 or probably worse since then.

So family first then health. Would be better off financially by far. Lots of wasted money and dumb decisions with the IDGAF I’m dying young anyway attitude.
Old 01-17-2022, 03:30 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

I ticked spiritual crisis/wakening it was actually a combination of this and health worries. I remember walking around my house, eveyone had gone out and my level of anxiety was huge - I felt utterly lost, like I was crawling around just trying to pretend to be ok. I literally felt the pressure of an inner voice, if you can accept that, shouting at me to stop. I was in tears. But I stopped. That was just over 8 months ago.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:58 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

High blood pressure, elevated ALT enzyme, and sleep disturbances. Not a health crises, but concerning and continuing.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:35 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dustyfox View Post
I literally felt the pressure of an inner voice, if you can accept that, shouting at me to stop.
I had exactly that. It was triggered by cannabis, the voice virtually screamed at me about how I was drinking my life away, killing myself, letting my family down... It was horrible, no escaping it... and it was painfully true.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:48 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by dustyfox View Post
I ticked spiritual crisis/wakening it was actually a combination of this and health worries. I remember walking around my house, eveyone had gone out and my level of anxiety was huge - I felt utterly lost, like I was crawling around just trying to pretend to be ok. I literally felt the pressure of an inner voice, if you can accept that, shouting at me to stop. I was in tears. But I stopped. That was just over 8 months ago.
I picked spiritual awakening as well. It was happening almost exactly as the same time this thread was started. I became aware of an inner voice plotting how to get away with continuing to drink despite my daughter being in trouble for getting caught drunk at a school dance. I then had this moment where I saw the situation for what it was and I thought I was as good as dead. Another voice whispered in my ear "it doesn't have to be that way".
Old 01-19-2022, 05:38 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

My inability to control my drinking was scaring me to death and I felt like I was losing myself.
Old 01-21-2022, 01:17 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

I was going to die in the next year or so if I didn't stop. I literally couldn't stop drinking and wound up in the hospital twice. I was placed under a 1013 at the hospital and held in restraints for a brief time period. I lost complete control of everything,