Notices

Need here, and new to this method

Old 02-10-2013, 09:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
R32

Need here, and new to this method

Hi everyone.. I just joined here because I'm having trouble.. i was going to AA/NA meetings awhile back and completely stopped , i wasn't really working the steps or anything , i got to 4 months clean so I moved back home and 2 weeks back I relapsed.. that was a month ago, between then and now I stumbled probably a total of 5 times but it's been increasing and I want to stop now before I end up doing it everyday again..

I do have a few questions though, I was told soberrecovery is different from AA/NA and working the steps, another sober person told me about this and said this might benefit me more then Aa/NA etc..

i am going to go through the site and look around but can i ask what the main difference is in a nutshell? Also if i am doing something wrong please tell me, i don't want to offend anyone or mess up
Old 02-10-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not all AA/NA meeting are the same. Each group is different. I am learning that I get something different in my treatment, my small group, large group, women only group & my large AA/NA meeting.
No one really stars out going because their life is perfect & running so smooth & they have all the answers.
The truth is we walk through that door hopefully with an open heart & open mind, & can leave all the "Ish" we feel about ourselves & things we have done in the past at the door. & even just for an hour feel accepted, not judged, realize we are not as alone in this disease.

I hope you can find a meeting/support group that works for you.
~love & Peace
Old 02-10-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

This site is like AA and NA--it works if you work it.

You can start by browsing and contributing.

Thanks for joining!
Old 02-10-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

SR isn't a "method" of recovery or sober living--it is a support forum for anyone dealing with addiction or alcoholism. We have members who are active in AA/NA, other recovery programs, and those who have quit and stayed sober (or are trying to) on their own.

If you didn't work the Steps, you can't say that AA/NA didn't "work" for you. I suggest you go back and try the suggested program of recovery. It couldn't hurt to give it a serious try.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello r32 welcome to SR I go to NA meeting got to know bout then throw a treatment centre and stopped goin coz I got my self in to a relationship but my relationship never worked and as cold fusion said it works if u work it now I'm back goin to NA meeting and following a 12 step program and I'm doin really well but the SR website is working for me to I lost my dad on the 18.01.2013 and I've managed to stay clean and doin really well, please stick to ur NA meeting and talking to people on SR coz the people on here av been my rock. If there is anything I can help u with just let me know , hope ur ok take care xx
Old 02-10-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

LexieCat said it perfectly, this is mostly a site for support, sharing, listening and helping. I have seen many post here that said just being here everyday has helped them. Some go to AA/NA meetings, work with a sponsor and work the steps. I am currently working with an addiction therapist regarding issues I need to work with and keeping that with my sobriety; others are also doing the same.

I think you'll get a lot out of this place, hope you keep posting and keep coming back. Welcome.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR R32

This place is great because it's always here any time of the day or night and there's always someone knocking around. It isn't recovery method specific and you can learn lots about alternatives to NA/AA here. Check out the secular connections forum for info on AVRT/SMART etc... This place really helps me because I come here often and it keeps me accountable. I'd imagine it'd be easy to slip if I distanced myself from other recovering people, as you probably well know. Glad you're here x
Old 02-10-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A wise old cove told me that the key to this whole thing is to just keep on going to meetings. Yes, you have to do the steps and so on but there is no point in doing those until you are truly ready.

So just do your best to not pick up the first drink today and do your best to get to a meeting. Just focus on getting your body along and your mind will catch up eventually. My own advice is to not get involved in service and remember that AA relies on people turning up who need help. You just being there is enough of a help to other alcoholics and that should be enough for you to start with.

But go to meetings and just focus on tradition 3. Thats the key to the whole thing.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like others have said - we're not a recovery method - just a lil ol' support forum
You'll find many 12 steppers here, but many others too.

I hope you'll find the place as useful as I did - welcome!

D
Old 02-10-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

I worked the 12 steps and came here for extra support a month after

Work those steps!!

Stick around here, it's awesome!