Notices
View Poll Results: What kind of trust helped you most to become sober?
Trust in a higher power
18.90%
Trust in those who have succeeded before you
24.39%
Trust in a method or program of recovery
6.71%
Trust in the medical community
1.22%
Trust in yourself
43.90%
Other
4.88%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

What kind of trust helped you most to become sober ?

Old 03-10-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

One and two
Old 03-10-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Voted for other. Don't know what to call it. Just that this is the way it is supposed to be.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:35 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

This is an interesting question for me. I've had major trust issues since early childhood that contributed to my avoidance of commitments, conventional relationships, delegating work, etc. I trusted my own mind and decisions mainly. Ironically, in this regard I feel I've grown through my experience with addiction and depression. These conditions made me lose trust and hope in myself completely when I was at my lowest... and then "magically" came other people and picked me up without asking, helped me finish the many tasks I wasn't able to complete, and give me suggestions. It was a really unique and in many ways wonderful experience that changed my thinking and perceptions.

So I voted "those who have succeeded before you" even though some of the people that helped me never had addictions and other major mental health problems, but clearly they'd succeeded in tackling life's many other issues and had a caring heart and compassion. These experiences have really helped me improve my trust issues but it still needs a lot of work.

This thread reminds me of the movie "Cloud Atlas", which is a nice representation of how we are truly not alone and connected all over the map often in unexpected ways.
Cloud Atlas (2012) - IMDb
Old 03-23-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
To be content

I think all the above support types help me, but believe it comes down to my decision making, efforts and WANTING to be sober.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Number 2
Old 03-23-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

For me - I realize there is much that goes into Sobriety and Recovery. There are so many, many underlying topics that there just is not enough room to list them all. Lord knows I tried to do it on my own. So for me it's the overwhelming presence of letting God into my life. Knowing everyday that he is there for me taking away the desire to drink. His son's sacrifice has taken away the wreckage of my past. All I have to do is call on him daily and I find out what is important today and what is not.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Number 5
TRUST IN MYSELF
Old 03-23-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I picked trust in myself because I think that was probably the most important. I had to trust that I could make it through anything and that my determination would get me through. I was tempted to pick trust in a particular method or program or trust in those who succeeded before me. I quit smoking before I quit drinking. It took me like a zillion times, but I learned from each one and so when I quit drinking, I just applied all the stuff that I learned from quitting smoking, which I guess was like my method of recovery. One thing that really helped me in quitting smoking was support from others that had quit or were quitting so when I went to quit drinking the first thing I did was to google for 'quit drinking forum' and join SR.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

The one thing I trusted the most is that if I continued to drink my life wouldn't matter.
My life does matter. So I do not want to drink anymore.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

#2 I thought quitting drinking was simply an absence of alcohol that was required to maintain health. But reading stories on sr that life would actually be better without alcohol is what convinced me to stop.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

When I started I trusted myself - that was it. I figured I got myself into this mess and I would get myself out. I thought AA preaching powerlessness was crazy.

It took me six months to develop trust in a higher power. I now see things much differently. So depending upon when you ask my views are 180 degrees.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I voted higher power. My call to sobriety came after I returned to God after a 15 year absence. It has been in surrendering to Him and admitting that I can't do this on my own that has given me success. It's a paradox because I have found my strength through my weakness.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:04 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

#1, and the person most shocked by that is me. As an atheist, I didn't think HP was even an option, that it could fit into my belief system, or that I could possibly benefit from such a corny notion.

This time I came back to the 12 steps and was just so broken down that I was willing to be truly open. To turn myself inside out and let something new inside if it could help me stay sober. And it has been one of the biggest revelations of my life to look inside and find that there is some kernel of albeit unconditional faith in my heart of hearts. It doesn't even matter what it is faith in, it is like a forgotten heart I discovered was still beating deep within.

It has truly carried me on the days I felt I couldn't carry myself. I don't need to know what I believe in, just that I believe, and that I do trust in that belief. It is what gives me hope that this time really is different from the times that came before.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:30 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Have to give The Lord credit of course as first however it's a partnership. He brought me into the rooms of aa & my part was to work the steps. 'twas definitely rough @ 1st but kept hearing dont quit 5 mins before the miracle happens! But it's been worth it & sure glad I've PERSERVERED
Old 05-23-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Anyone else?
Old 05-23-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I'm still figuring it all out but a lot of my trust at the moment is in those around me and those I see at AA. Through them, I am starting to see what I want my God to look like, so I hope to build my trust in a HP and then begin to believe in myself through that reliance.

So, yeah.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I have to say trust in myself, though it has been much easier being here on SR most days. On the other hand it became more of a fear of not having a life I knew I should have, and the fear at 58 of dying the same horrible way my dad did at 62. I deserve more than that.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:11 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Paradoxically, learning to open my mind to possibilities that I can't always foresee. And trusting I may not always have the answers, injustice really does occur on a regular basis, people really are assholes and I have been one of them, and cliches and sayings I've heard all my life actually mean something lol. Trusting that it's ok to be human. Ok to be me. And trusting that some people really aren't assholes. They just have limited experience. These have been huge for me... For someone who wanted this universe to make sense.

It's interesting that I've learned to trust myself more by getting outside my own constructs. That seems paradoxical to someone like me who was all about protecting myself and being self-sufficient.

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 05-23-2014, 11:59 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Mamahawk

At first I had to trust myself to give away the things that giving me power to use. Money, car keys, freedom to leave without a chaperone. (Which right now is only my husband or mother so I can be watched) I'm off the bank account, cash is in a safe and I gave up my car keys. That was hard. I'm starting out my trust in God to forgive me and help me. 8 days today!
Old 05-24-2014, 03:35 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Every time I had doubts or some crazy talk would get in my head, I had to trust myself, the person who woke up one day and felt so over drinking and feeling sick, that she said enough is enough.

As my sober journey has changed...I've learned that I am really the only person who can protect me. The AV is a voice, an urge in my physiology...but I have to stand up and protect me. And so it goes on to other things...protecting myself against faulty friendships and people...bad choices.

I will do whatever it takes now to have a good life, full of positive things and thoughts...I will never get the time back that I wasted in a bottle....but I am determined to give myself a life I deserved to have right from the start.