Notices

Starting the journey today

Old 02-09-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting the journey today

My journey is beginning today! Last night I got my 2nd DUI in 8 years. Thankfully I never got in an accident. 1st time was in college and I thought "Most anybody could get one at some point." Last night I realized this is a problem. I can go days or weeks without drinking no problem, but I find that when I go out with friends it quickly escalates into a binge regularly and I need to stop. I now have a wife and kid and I realize now that everytime I do that I could be jeopardizing the most precious thing in the world to me.

I'm going to try to get in an AA support group soon. I do have a question: right now I'm really worried I will slip at some point years from now. Does that feeling ever go away? Does sobriety ever become more second nature? I don't want to live my life in constant fear of relapse.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by Drawingaline View Post
I do have a question: right now I'm really worried I will slip at some point years from now. Does that feeling ever go away? Does sobriety ever become more second nature? I don't want to live my life in constant fear of relapse.
This is why there is a saying in recovery, "One day at a time." Don't worry about what is going to happen in year or the rest of your life.

Welcome to SoberRecovery!
Old 02-09-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

AA worked for me.... it'll work for you as well.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 02-09-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep, "today I will not drink", and repeat the following day. Don't think ahead, stay right where you are, here, and deal with that. Welcome to SR, hope you hang around.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Vegibean's right on this, drawingaline. You'll do your poor head in, freaking out about years down the track.

This a.m., an old Zen saying popped into my head, and it might help:

'A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step'.

Welcome!
Old 02-09-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The fear you are experiencing was not unusual to me and what I came to realize is it was nothing more then the alcohol talking to me trying to defeat me and keep me from the most important thing I could do for me and eventually for others.

The future has no bearing on now. Now you don't drink. AA says you don't drink "one day at a time".

I've also heard it said in AA meetings "you don't ever have to drink again and you don't have to do it alone".

If you're choosing AA as your path to sobriety then I suggest strongly you jump in ASAP and not "soon".

You can do this and we will do what we can, here at SR, to help you with your journey. But, it must start with you.

So glad you're here and reached out. It's a great start.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Keep it in the day and don't stop until the miracle happens!
Old 02-09-2013, 08:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi drawingaline - welcome!

I firmly believe all you, I, or anyone else has to worry about is staying sober today - yesterdays gone, and tomorrows not here yet

It gets better too - none of us would still be here if it didn't LOL

give it time - it'll work out

D
Old 02-09-2013, 08:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind posts everyone!
Old 02-09-2013, 09:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Welcome to the club

I'm sorry that it took a 2nd DUI for you to realize that you have a problem.... but I am realy glad you are here!

There is no reason to think about how things will be next week or next month or next year. Just concentrate on staying sober for the next minute or hour or day and before you know it, you will have a week then a month and then a year behind you and your perspective will be completely different.

I share this song a lot here on SR but it really applies to your situation. Listen to the lyrics because they apply to ALL of us!! This is my anthem for sobriety.

JOE WALSH - ONE DAY AT A TIME - YouTube