Notices

Alchohol to xanax

Old 02-08-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alchohol to xanax

i have not had a drink in about 7 months but my doctor precribed me xanax to deal with the anxiety that i get but that drug is really messing with my short term memory does anyone els have similar results to that drug?
Old 02-08-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have been prescribed Xanax and never had issues with memory loss. Sounds like something you would definitely want to bring to your doctors attention, maybe they can try something else. Good luck
Old 02-08-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovered

Cognitive loss, esp memory is one of the most common side effects (and desired effects) of this class of drugs.

Benzodiazepines interfere with the formation and consolidation of memories of new material and may induce complete anterograde amnesia (ability to create new memories after drug dose is taken). Ie they kill your short-term memory and ability to make new memories. That's why they use them in the OR and for procedures...so that the patient doesn't remember what happened. My friend was addicted to valium (another benzo) and had horrible memory problems. When I use to shoot versed (the IV benzo used in the OR), I would lose the night and the entire next day!
Old 02-08-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am currently weaning off Klonopin and that is one of the main things I notice. Its kind of similar to trying to remember events from a night of drinking.
If I take a regular dose in the morning, the day after that, trying to recall what I all did the day before is really hard, like foggy, and there is definitely fuzzy/gray areas.
I dont like it at all. It's ONE of the reasons im quitting it.
But I guess it's normal...
Old 02-08-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

This stuff is dangerous for those with "chemical dependancy issues"

In the past I tired to use various drugs to "come off" booze- this was one of them- it was a nightmare and I dug myself into a deeper hole.

there are psychological ways of improving anxiety?
Old 02-08-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi smn111186
I think if you have any concerns at all, the best thing to do is run them by your doctor

D
Old 02-08-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My LADC has told me to stay away from the Benzo's because of my addictive personalities. I was looking to get my Remon changed to a higher mg, and I have been told not a good idea. I hope maybe you can consult with someone other than one Dr. All the best!
Old 02-09-2013, 01:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by smn111186 View Post
i have not had a drink in about 7 months but my doctor precribed me xanax to deal with the anxiety that i get but that drug is really messing with my short term memory does anyone els have similar results to that drug?
I was addicted to alcohol, then sustained that sobriety for 2.5 years, my doctor also prescribed me xanax a low dosis and all was ok until the day life threw me a curveball, and my addictive thinking let me to believe since xanax is prescribed and alcohol was always the evil one who really destroyed everything in my path, I switched the bitch for the witch or so they say, believe me stop the xanax now, the aftereffects the withdrawals are a million times worth than the alcohol...........I am still on a tapering program of valium since October last year alcohol for me getting off it was nothing in comparison than the xanax....pls be careful
Old 02-09-2013, 03:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Someone above asked if there are psych therapy methods toward dealing with anxiety, and there are; the drawback is that they take time, and therefore do not offer the instant cure that benzo's offer. on the other hand, benzo's have tremendous abusise potential, and abrupt cessation of taking them can be a medical emergency, so if you deside to stop them, it should only be done under a medically supervised taper program. The psych therapy approach which many find most effective, including me, is cognative therapy, which is often undertaken with a small and eventually tapered to zero benzo therapy--again, medically supervised (which is quite easy to arrange, as the pyschologist offerring any talk therapy is not able to Rx drugs, so you, the shrink, and and an MD will have to work as a team in any event). This approach worked very well for me in the past, although I do have to remain on some meds owning to issues involved with my being bi-polar. If you don't have such underlying pyschiatric issues, a therapy aimed at zero drugs and ongoing psych therapy would be the best approach, I would think. Hope this has addressed your question to some degree, but remember that I only speak from my experiece, so you will need consult an MD, hopefully a psychiatrist and a pyschologist to find what works for you--just be patient, as there is often quite a bit of trial and error.. All the best to you, and best of luck---rick
Old 02-09-2013, 07:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Never say never...

Xanax puts me right to sleep....so my Dr. gave me Klonopin....but I rarely take them...they make me "slow". I don't take them enough to notice any memory issues.