SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Really upset with what ive done with myself,, (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/283760-really-upset-what-ive-done-myself.html)

bradley26 02-09-2013 10:25 AM

Really upset with what ive done with myself,,

Hi guys and gals ,Im on day 15 today with no alcohol but cant get over what ive done to myself these last 6 years. my face is still red and dosnt seem to get any better maybe a little worse i dont know, i only noticed the face was bad about the last 3 months, a friend said it might be rosacea i dont know, maybe my new shampoo has done it or am i clutching at straws? even when i put moisturizer on it seems to get worse ,i feel like giving up, how can i live the rest of my life with a horrible red face. ill try give it another 15 days but if it dosnt get better i think i might lose the plot.

ReadyAtLast 02-09-2013 10:36 AM

Hi bradley,the likelihood is it will get better. you're still very early into this so won't see drastic changes immediately.I'm on day 63 and my redness has reduced vastly. I also thought I had rosacea but I doubt I would have had it if I'd not been a drinker. My face puffiness/bloatedness has gone, redness reduced, black circles under eyes fading but it takes time. I figure it took me years to look this bad,it will take time to look better.

keep at it, it really does get better :)

mecanix 02-09-2013 10:38 AM

My face used to reguarly erupt bradley ,

16 months on into not drinking and my face is as smooth as any 38 yr old guys has the rights to be . Took quite a while for it to clear up though .. i think i'd put my body through a lot by drinking so much for so long, took quite a few months of good food and sleep for it all to ballance out and heal itself .

Bestwishes, M

vegibean 02-09-2013 10:39 AM

bradley, by any chance, do you smoke?

I had red patches on my face, quit drinking and they were still there, quit smoking and they were gone in a matter of a month. Clear skin now. :)

avocado 02-09-2013 10:43 AM

switch to african black soap and use shea butter to moisturize morning and night

as far as feeling bad, well, that's going to happen, but it's part of the process. be proud that you're doing the right thing now.

debsam 02-09-2013 10:45 AM

Bradley mine was the same...hang in there.

For me, it was my body purging all the toxin's...sure it's the same for you. Wouldn't hurt for you to see a doctor - if it is rosacea, there are plenty of ways to tame it...cool it down.

Don't let this discourage you...see it as your body healing itself.

But seek out an answer...don't guess...sobriety for me is about seeking solutions and better ways to cope...= change :)

vegibean 02-09-2013 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by avocado (Post 3811799)
switch to african black soap and use shea butter to moisturize morning and night

as far as feeling bad, well, that's going to happen, but it's part of the process. be proud that you're doing the right thing now.

Avocado, I have some of that soap in my bathroom, I don't use it all of the time, but it is nice to clean my face with which is what I use it for. Just nice for balancing out my skin, along with Witch Hazel which I JUST NOW used. :)

ivegotsunshine 02-09-2013 10:50 AM

I had the same problem and turns out it was acne rosacia. (sp?) I am on Rx topicals. They are very expensive but I use them sparingly. I was allergic to a lot of the alcohol/ beer I liked so would often break out in hives when drinking. VERY SEXY!
Been sober 41 days now and it is much much better!

sugarbear1 02-09-2013 11:54 AM

one month out of 72.....I'd give myself about 6 months at least.....

I wish you well on your sober journey!

avocado 02-09-2013 11:58 AM

I've had acne and red blotches since adolescence and drinking exacerbated it. A year or so back I found this site called skinlaboratory.com and got the BHA+ peel and it really helped,and now with not drinking my skin is looking quite good using that bha+ once or twice a week, cleansing with african black soap morning and night and using shea butter at least every night, sometimes in the morning. I have a feeling that once I quit drinking diet coke, which I'm trying, it will get even better.

Dee74 02-09-2013 12:02 PM

hey Bradley :)

Most of us drink for years - it's gonna take a little time - a little longer than 2 weeks - for mind and body to recuperate - but they will :)

try and be patient - maybe see your Dr if you're especially worried?

D

Anna 02-09-2013 12:06 PM

Bradley, you've gotten lots of good advice here. I know it's hard to be patient in early recovery when you want everything to go well, but it does take time. And, as Dee said, it couldn't hurt to talk to your dr.

hypochondriac 02-09-2013 12:33 PM

Don't worry about it too much Bradley. See your doc if you're worried (be honest about the drinking) and hopefully it will clear up. It isn't the worst thing that can happen to an alcoholic :) I had horrible red blotchy skin which is so much better since I quit. I quit drinking and smoking also. It takes time to heal though and while you are detoxing it might get worse before it gets better x

bradley26 02-09-2013 12:48 PM

thanks people i appreciate the advice. im gonna book a doctors appointment on monday for as soon as possible. I think your'e right it may even take a few months, maybe 6 , but i would rather be sober with a red face than still be living as a drunk, so i suppose ill have to be patient, thanks everybody, hopefully i can come back with some good news further down the line.

hypochondriac 02-09-2013 12:52 PM

I bet you'll be posting here in a few months time reassuring all the red blotchy people that it gets better! :) x

too.tall 04-02-2013 10:51 AM

Has the red face gone away?