Notices

Long distance nor'easter effects...

Old 02-08-2013, 08:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Long distance nor'easter effects...

Hi everyone,
I've been trying to avoid coverage of the storm for the past few days as I knew that it would bring on a bit of depression and anger within myself, but, you can't really stop Mother Nature now can you.
See, I've lived in the Back Bay part of Boston for the past thirteen years & being originally from Tampa, have always looked forward to these type of storms with a sense of great excitement. Actually felt ripped off the past couple of years because of the lack of snow! Anyway, because of my drinking (sober for six months until last April, when I relapsed, now sober since January 1st.) I've kind of been 'exiled', for lack of a better term, back to my home town. My wife just couldn't stand to be around it any longer, and I do not blame her a bit. This is after two in patient detox stays last June and July, and I was still drinking (sneaking and hiding) quite heavily. The only person I blame is myself. Completely. So here I sit, sad about missing out on what should be a great experience in Boston with my wife and totally mad at myself for letting it happen. I'll probably call her in a bit to see how things are progressing with the storm back in the old neighborhood (she's lived there most of her life and still absolutely LOVES these kind of blizzards) as I was typing that last line, I literally, just received a notification on my phone, which I'm using to type this, from Boston's ABC news affiliate about power outages in the area! Pretty cosmic.
I did manage to clean up my act enough at the beginning of October to return to Boston, but, that only lasted for three weeks before I messed things up yet again. So, back to sunny (yuck) Florida for me to once again try to put myself and hopefully, my marriage back together.
I have found SR to be very helpful as I have been reading various posts over the past few months and after reading through the earlier "nor'easter" thread figured this would be a good opportunity make my first post of any real length.
Well, just wanted to finally check in to say Hello.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Suspiria, I totally know how you feel about missing snowstorms! I am from the northeast but have lived in Florida for 10 years, and I absolutely despise the weather here and at times cannot bear to listen to the weather report back home because I miss it all so much People think I am crazy! But to each's own. I, too, feel I am here in Florida because of poor choices I have mad so listening to news and weather can bring on depression and even cravings. 6 months is amazing! The most I have had is 2 months, so you are in inspiration to me!
Just thought you'd like to know you aren't the only one out there that is missing the snow (and not liking Florida)...