Notices

Day 1 again...aaaargh

Old 02-08-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 again...aaaargh

Stop this ride I want to get off. Had to go to a concert last night. It's part of my job. It was crap so I drank. If I'm honest I didn't put up much of a fight. How am I going to build my resolve. Any guidance would be really helpful right now. Feel crappy. Third time lucky maybe. Wish me luck as I go round again....why is this not easy?
Old 02-08-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not easy - I think if you expect it to be, you'll find the road pretty hard caravagio.

I had to do two things to stay sober - make changes in my life, and find support.
I wanted to be sober more than anything else.

I'm not sure how to get to that point if you're not there already - I took the hard road where I kept drinking until my body broke...I don't recommend that, man.

be smarter than I was.

D
Old 02-08-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Cara, maybe you're tired of feeling crappy. There's never a good outcome when we pick up. I finally realized the fun was long gone, and not coming back - ever.

I did what Dee did - kept playing with it until I was forced to quit. I nearly lost my life. That's not necessary! You can get it right this time. We're pulling for you.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I've 'stopped' or come up with a new 'plan to moderate' 50+ times over the past 25 years. It's really hard. Currently I am motivated by the thought of battling my alcoholic voice.

I am obstinate. I will win.

Recommend reading about some of the various techniques for dealing with the compulsion to drink. I found them very helpful.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry that you feel so down. Recovery requires a LOT of change and I know I resisted the changes until I almost lost my life. I know that I couldn't be around alcohol or people who were drinking alcohol for quite a long time. It just didn't work for me.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Im in the same boat today (day 1 again). Trying to learn. We can do this.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
instant

It can be done, don't give up, have another go. You will get there if you keep on.

Telling yourself it is "hard" will make it so. Telling yourself something else eg "I am learning to live a new way" may help.