Notices

Newbie from WI!

Old 02-07-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Newbie from WI!

A little about me... I have been in and out of AA over the past six years. Trying to figure out if I am an alcoholic or not... going back out there and making bad decisions, etc. I have finally decided that I AM definitely a binge drinker and the consequences keep getting worse and worse... my reputation has been affected (I live in a small town so it will be a long road to getting that back on track), my family has lost respect for me, etc

I am in a bad place right now as some of my past actions are catching up with me... feeling depressed and stressed. I can't begin to wrap my head around not drinking again forever but today I have decided not to drink (although I sure was tempted to stop by the liquor store tonight!). One day at a time...
Old 02-07-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

work those steps and get some real relief!

it's up to you to be willing to do the work
Old 02-07-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome flowerchild

I think sometimes it's just easier to ask 'is my drinking harming me and those I love?'
If the answer is yes then we have a responsibility to do something about it.

I'm glad you've found us

D
Old 02-07-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

((flowerchild)) - Welcome to SR! I agree with ((Dee)) - sometimes we just have to accept that what we're doing is not a good thing and move forward from that.

I couldn't wrap my head around "forever", either, though my DOC (drug of choice) was crack, not alcohol (though I did have issues with that, years ago). What I did was tell myself I would give recovery everything I had for 6 months. If it wasn't worth it? Well, I knew where to get my DOC.

Funny thing, it didn't take nearly 6 months to realize I didn't want to go back to my old life. Recovery has been awesome, even when I went through some pretty horrific things (not all related to consequences of drugs) and each time I got through them? I felt a lot better about me, and it's pretty amazing that my loved ones now see me as the dependable and responsible one!

SR has always been a huge part of my recovery, so I'm glad you've joined the family!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-07-2013, 05:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

YOU can probably easily grasp the concept of never drinking again. It probably makes YOU feel warm and comfortable. On the other hand, that Alcoholic Voice running around inside your head panics every time you bring it up. It tells you staying sober can't be done. It tells you it's OK to get drunk one more time. It tells you you'll feel better if you have a drink.

I have an Alcoholic Voice, too. It has caused me no end of trouble. The thing is, It's a liar. I don't have to pay attention to It's lies any longer.

You're in a great place to learn how to disempower that Alcoholic Voice in your head. Look around the forums. There are answers here.

Good Luck!
Old 02-07-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

Don't let the thought of never drinking again overwhelm you. You made the choice to not drink today and you can do it again tomorrow.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi flowerchild! Great to have you join us.

I drank for 30 yrs. I tried to convince myself I could control it if I just used enough willpower. What was once binging turned into 24/7 drinking, and I was completely dependent on it. You are wise to take control of things now. You'll find you're not alone - we've all been through similar situations. Congratulations for wanting to change your life. You can do it.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Flowerchild!
You sound alot like me....I am also a newbie from WI, and my problem is binge drinking also. I mean I can slam the beer, wow. I started bingeing almost every night and did some really,really, stupid things that can never be
taken back.

The idea of never drinking again seems impossible to me. I mean, I love beer! and I try to tell myself I dont really have a problem since I am have a good life and havent gotten in trouble with the law or lost a job or anything form drinking, and I only drink beer, and NEVER during the day, etc.etc.

Much to the chagrin of almost everyone on here, I said I wanted to get drunk on my anniversary(June) after being sober for awhile. I am now questioning that...
So yeah, like you, Im confused. Am I an alcoholic? Problem drinker? Alcohol abuser???
I do know that when I drink I have an awesome fun time and feel great, but the next day,oh hell no, the hangovers are so extreme I literally think Im dying.

I live in a tiny town too, and every single social event is BEER and BRATS and 4WHEELERS and BEER and FISHING and BEER. and it is overwhelming to think of never drinking again.
So I hear you.
Ive had one slip since Jan.26th and I am feeling so fantastic, the idea of drinking tomorrow slipped into my head(It FRIDAY cmon!!) but I put it out. Shut it out. Because it sounds worth it, but I know deep down it wont be, oh-oh....is that the "Alcoholic Voice" everyone talks about!!??

Anyway, I wish you luck in figuring it out, I guess for some people, it is a moment of clarity like "NEVER AGAIN" and some people need to fall on their faces 17 times before they get it....
Until I figure it out Im gonna keep coming here and reading all this nuggets of wisdom and just take it one day at a time!!