Notices

Out of the routine

Old 02-26-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
SFG

Thanks Azraehl,
Feeling much better this morning. I came up with 46 bad experiences due to alcohol in about 15 minutes. Day 22 should be a good one!
Old 02-27-2013, 08:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
SFG

They say it takes three weeks to break a habit. Well here I am! Already comfortable walking right past the lobby bar with a grin on my face cause Im not the guy squirming away money from a barstool.
Im still sleeping good and my digestive track acts like it enjoys this break with Alcohol.
I am filing my new found hours in the evening with work stuff, fixing a sink and cleaning baseboards while drinking blueberry juice mixed with a carbonated beverage on ice. I would love to know a good fresh fruit drink to mix up if anyone has a good idea.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

glad things are going well for you.

D
Old 03-02-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
SFG

It's been almost a month since I quit drinking and I realized something this morning... I have emotions. Some of them are really quite good. I held my Grandbaby this week and felt a warmth inside that has been missing for a long time. I can be around people with out that secret hidden agenda of when to start drinking that day. My daughter needs me more than i knew. My wife has out grown me emotionally. My work is managable and I have much more capacity for helping others with things. It seems like the sky is the limit today.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome to freedom from the bottle. It's a GREAT feeling.
Keep in mind though, addiction is clever.. and it's sly. You must maintain CONSTANT VIGILANCE.
I have a story...

I quit drinking April 4th 2006. I enjoyed my sober life.. it took me several weeks to get to where you seem to be now so I must just be slow hehe...
Anyway,
In March 2012 (last year) I started experiencing migraines. My wife suffers from them, as does my brother. I have my own health issues and had thought I had escaped the migraine issue, so I was pretty upset. (IN the end it turned out that an abscess tooth was causing them and once it was pulled they went away)
I ended up at the ER early one morning because the pain was excruciating. They gave me a shot of Tramadol along with a prescription for it telling me that it was a non narcotic. I got the script filled, went home and laid down for some much needed rest. Woke up several hours later in pain and started popping Tramadol (Just fyi, at this point in time I didn't have ANY issue with pain pills.. this is actually how I got started on them.. the issues with my teeth, that is). I took a few more than I should have. I started to feel great and figured I would feel even greater if I took some more.
At some point I decided I needed to run some errands, no idea what I was out to get.. everything got very fuzzy at this point. As I was tooling down the road all of a sudden AFTER 6 YEARS OF SOBRIETY I decided a beer is just what I needed. Things get REALLY fuzzy after this.. but long story short I ended up in jail that night with a dui.
I was DEVASTATED.. how the heck could this have happened? Drinking was the last thing on my mind and had been for years.
I screwed up.. I dropped my guard.. I failed to practice constant vigilance. So be careful. The demon is a master of disguise.

Anyway that is one of my stories. I apologize for the liberal use of parenthesis lol.

And grats on staying sober.. Keep up the awesome work =) It only gets better from here.

-Az
Old 03-02-2013, 06:40 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks for that Az.

Your story is a perfect snapshot of just how cunning alcohol is....always lying in wait.

Unbelievable!
Old 03-03-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
SFG

Azraehl, Thnak you for the advice. Freedom from the bottle is something to be greatful for! I will be vigilant. Getting stronger and more focused everyday.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

On your travel there...plan on hitting a meeting a long the way. Many areas post their meetings online. At the trade show discretely slip away for 1 1/2 hours...and/or call the hotline. See if you might be of help to someone...recovering people are easy to spot by how they conduct themselves and talk!
Old 03-03-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
~sb

Keep up the great work SFG!
Old 03-09-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
SFG

Day 41 today. Anxiety, lower. Mood Swings, much less. Clothes fit better. Mornings are my favorite time of day. My daughter is more focused at school. My wife is more gentle and calm and I actually have fleeting moments of what feels like genuine happiness.
Yesterday, my old drinking buddy and I were together for a few hours. He had three or four beers that had been left over in my fridge which I was glad to get rid of but Oh Mann, that smell of him boozing was repulsive to me. I kind of felt sorry for him.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
SFG

It's been over two months with out drinking. Lost lots of inches and 15lbs. I cant believe how much I missed at home over the last 3 years. The alcohol is so depressive. Now that I can identify some of the sadness in my life, I am much less scared of the future. Not everything seems like a suprise anymore. There is much to be learned in Sobriety and I wish I wouldnt have waited so long to quit. One of my best freinds was talking with me and said that I seem more aware of what's going on around me. With less depression I am able to think more clearly, communicate with others and stand up for myself. It took me three weeks to break the 5 O'Clock habit. There is peace in sobriety.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:55 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

thanks for updating SFG - good for you

D
Old 12-30-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
SFG

I made it two months sober. At that point I realized what a shell of a marriage I had left. We agreed to divorce and she moved out w my daughter and my dog in July. 6 months later the dust has settled and I am rethinking sobriety.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:14 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Good for you. I found it much easier in stress free situations. xxxxx
Old 12-30-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you back SFG

D