Notices

Lets stay sober all weekend - Thursday to Sunday Feb 10th!

Old 02-07-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Lets stay sober all weekend - Thursday to Sunday Feb 10th!

You might think that the weekend starts on a Friday or even a Saturday. Try telling my AV that.

In fact with the pending snow storm here in New York it started this evening. The idea of snow so much you should stay home. Knowing the bar is open across the street is open with lively people. The sexy bottles all lined up in a row.

Well... AV is going to get feisty. Randy.

So I thought I would start our weekend thread, one that's helped me a lot, just a wee early.

So... The grocery stores here are stupid busy. So are the gas stations. Gee people. It's only snow.

But I will brave it a bit later to get all kinds of goodies to make and snack on. Have the pay per view all lined up. Stocked with seltzer.

I know myself and so I will adjust to compensate and plan other things. Like shovel. It will take a while Saturday. I will do shifts so it takes even longer!

How about you?
Old 02-07-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Good call, Buddy. I have tomorrow off, and my AV seems acutely aware of that fact.

Speaking of sexy...one of the wonderful things years of abusing alcohol did for me was add 60 pounds to what had been a fairly decent physique. Well, today I had to set my belt one notch tighter than it's been in a while. Not as sexy as I'm gonna be, but sexier than I've been.

Time to get my sober on. Let's do this!
Old 02-07-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm gonna TRY and be with you guys this weekend (and hopefully beyond) as well!

Let's do it!
Old 02-07-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I will join you this sober weekend. We are getting a full on Blizzard, but can't wait to sled with my toddler when it eases up. Stay Blessed Weasel.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm in! Today, I'm at 15 days sober, and while I have no desire to drink, I never know when my ugly AV will start shouting and it doesn't hurt to have all you great people as support!

Happy sober weekend all!
Old 02-07-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by britabroad View Post
I'm gonna TRY and be with you guys this weekend (and hopefully beyond) as well!

Let's do it!
"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
Old 02-07-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
Ha! Bigsombrero, I see that a lot on here and you are right of course!
Old 02-07-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm in for this weekend. It will be my first sober weekend since I can remember.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by britabroad View Post
Ha! Bigsombrero, I see that a lot on here and you are right of course!
Brita, there is a school of thought that says using "I'll try" instead of "I will" is your Alcoholic Voice insinuating itself into your speech. It's trying to undermine you at every turn.

Let me share the vision Weasel1966 shared with me: Stick your AV into a covered box and plug his air hole until he behaves. Picture yourself beating his lying, life-wrecking butt. I find it VERY empowering.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm in for a sober weekend! Predicting 6-12 inches of snow where I am. Tomorrow's commute will not be fun!! Looking forward to a massage on Saturday though, filing my taxes and getting some homework done. Not the most exciting weekend in the world - but it will be 100% sober!
Old 02-07-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for getting a jump start on our sober weekend Weasel!!

My AV has been whispering sweet nothings at me all week. I know it's mainly because I have so much time on my hands right now (unemployed) and it's trying to convince me that drinking would be a great way to pass the time.

I actually had 2 horrible public conversations WITH MYSELF in grocery stores this week. While there picking up groceries I wandered over to the liquor aisle. Yes, no, yes, no, but I don't want to.....but I do want to.....no I don't....yes you do.....one poor woman actually witnessed this interaction with myself. She just smiled and shook her head as if she were praying for me. I never bought any alcohol.

So I'm all in this weekend for a sober good time!

For all you in the path of the snowstorm, be careful!
Old 02-07-2013, 04:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think a good idea as I, too, started getting squirely with the inncoming snow. My work is already closed for tomorrow and my old self would find this a great excuse to drink all night. My son is with his Dad so I am all alone too. Not good but I will make a list of things I can do tomorrow....besides shovel!
Old 02-07-2013, 05:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
YAY! I love the weekend thread!

Sorry about those in the bad weather I am sending sunny vibes...can you feel it?

xo
Old 02-07-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

My AV is doing the happy dance too. It has been quiet for quite awhile but I was expecting a reappearance with the blizzard coming. I stocked up on food (double stuffed oreos went in the cart-I thought to myself "this is my reward for not drinking") and plan to cook and catch up on stuff at the house. Not exciting, but it feels good to be prepared. Maybe we can all share some snow pics...
Old 02-07-2013, 11:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good morning weekend thread

We're kicking off in style by going here today...

360 Play Family Entertainment Centre - What we are

Should be fun! Hope I'm allowed to post that link. Apologies if not!
Old 02-08-2013, 12:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I got friday & monday off so i've got a long weekend , unfortunatly have a cough and horrid chestyness, sound like darth vader .

AV used to come around regualy with time off or being sick , if i was going to feel bad being sick i may as well have a hangover as well, it used to say , i used to happily run along with such barmy alkie brain suggestions ,,, Duh !

No means No i say and as i'm the adult in my life what i say goes .

Bestwishes, M
Old 02-08-2013, 12:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hope you feel better soon M!
Old 02-08-2013, 01:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great stuff, guys. And thanks to all those who helped me stay sober last weekend on another thread. Hope you'll join us here so we can all be one big happy family! Working late tonight and then off to language class in the morning. I deliberately booked those lessons in for Saturday mornings because that was a big temptation time for me. All being well I can get to an AA meeting on Saturday afternoon. A friend who I sometimes drink with suggested meeting at the weekend. I said: "Wouldn't afternoon tea with cakes be great?" so that's the provisional plan for Sunday. But the main thing is TODAY and I will check back in here after work to confirm I'm sober.

I really look forward to reading all your posts over the next few days to hear how you are getting on. Stay strong!
Old 02-08-2013, 03:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Hot Diggity, this thread is full of sexy sober people. Where else would I want to be on my DAY 11?

I am going to make a mountain of sawdust in my shop today. I should post a pic of this partners desk I am building. It's a humdinger!
Old 02-08-2013, 03:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hey!

So one of the first thoughts getting up... you got it... AV was in disguise! He put on the stach, glasses and hat but i knew it was him. He had a bunch of negative self talk. The " you are worthless" kind of crap.

Just wont let that happen.

Have a ton of things at work that are fun to do so my day will go quick.

10 - 15 inches expected. Lived in Maine so long it takes a bit more to scare me. Although a new yorker with a shovel is frightning.

Hanging around here at my desk on my ipad. Boss does not care. I get er done so I will say hello.

Nonsensical... I would love to see the desk. Thats an awesome skill to have.