Notices

Lets stay sober all weekend - Thursday to Sunday Feb 10th!

Old 02-09-2013, 06:03 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Good morning all my sober mates,

Hope all in the path of NEMO are safe. Dang that's a lot of snow to shovel!

I was thankfully up by 7:30am. Since getting fired in early December I've been sleeping entirely too much. I was ok for about the first 1 1/2 months but since then it's been quite a struggle to stabilize my mood. AV has been wooing me (unfortunately not wooing me like Mrs. Nonsensical....).

But that LAST thing I want to do is drink! So I think I'll hang with you fine folks if you don't mind.

No big plans for me. Haircut at 12:45, grocery shopping and 8pm meeting. Might even get started on my taxes.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

SF... thanks for being here. I need the support as well. I feel the cravings bad today but I too will not give in.

Hey... anyone have any ideas for what to cook today? I want something that takes a while.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I'm doing it too weasel!! Today we're off to the Garlic Festival, I'm excited, good food, great weather here in Sunny Florida with one of my favorite people, my 12 year old son.

Hope your weekend is a great one too weasel. How are all your endeavors coming along?
Old 02-09-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Bacon makes EVERYTHING better!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:37 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Mrs. Nonsensical AND bacon?? Sounds like an amazing start to the day!!!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

It's got to be a pot roast, stew or soup day if your under the snowbank ?

Back in the 70's when i was a kid my auntie who was an air stuardess brought back wonderful exotic recipies such as .... Meatloaf ..

There is a french recipie i know for roast lamb with garlic which starts off .....take 27 bulbs of garlic .. yeh the whole bulb x 27 not just cloves !

I am also partial to a nice british/indian fusion curry with side dishes ... that can take ages to prepair . Mango ice cream ?

Today i will have stir fry bean sprouts , shitake mushrooms , garlic , ginger , spring onions . wilted spinach with sesamie seeds , grilled salmon , and maybe three satsuma oranges as i really could just eat those all day long... So yummy !

Have lost about 12lb in the last few weeks

M
Old 02-09-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Good morning my sober new friends. I was really hoping I would feel better this morning being its my first Saturday not being hungover. Instead I woke up with a headache and an iffy stomach. I had the strangest dreams last night. Oh well, I'm going to go work out and get on with my productive day. Peace~
Old 02-09-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

It has to be the very famous Belgian recipe Carbonnade Flamandes Ken:

Carbonades flamandes traditionnelles : Recette de Carbonades flamandes traditionnelles - Marmiton

Not only does it take time, you need to translate the lingo :>)

Anyways, surely you have a giant smowman to build too? (I want a photo!)

x Valerie
Old 02-09-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hmm think the 1L of beer might be a bit too much for me in that recipie vall .. wouldn't want the house smelling like a brewery..... again !

Stay strong Rose123 i have a ghost hangover every few weeks i think normal people call them "having a bad day" or "just feeling under the weather a bit "

Bestwishes, M
Old 02-09-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

My hen was delicious in soup. If you simmer it for 24 hours you will not need boullion or canned broth. I bought a food network magazine. It features a birthday cake for every month. They are scratch recipes guaranteed to keep you busy and stressed out for hours. ( will it turn out anxiety) I looked up March (my b day month) Grasshopper Cake. Yes, take 100 grasshoppers and put in food processor. Yummy!
Old 02-09-2013, 07:37 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Non, that just totally made me more hungry. Off to a Garlic Fest, I WANT TO EAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Bad news, I slipped up and had a bottle of red wine last night. I'm just not ready for this yet. I'm still pleased with my progress as I've only drank 3 times in the last 3 weeks, but I'm just not there yet for total quitting. Hope all you guys are doing great.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Today is my day 7. Just exercised too! Not only is it the first time I've been sober for seven days, it's also the first time I've worked out in a long time!

As I've said in some of my past posts, it's not too bad at home. Tonight my wife and I are going out to dinner. It sounds sad but I can not remember the last time I went out to a nice restaurant and not had at least 2 or 3 drinks.

Well it's my first test. Since she's pregnant, neither if us will be drinking. At least the bill will be cheaper!
Old 02-09-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Brita . That is progress. You will get to where you want when you want. That's just the way it works.

Glad you are here and posting.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Grasshopper cake? We can sprinkle it with black ants for effect!
Old 02-09-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Thanks, Weasel. I will stick around and keep reading and maybe something will stick!
Old 02-09-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
Hmm think the 1L of beer might be a bit too much for me in that recipie vall .. wouldn't want the house smelling like a brewery..... again !

Stay strong Rose123 i have a ghost hangover every few weeks i think normal people call them "having a bad day" or "just feeling under the weather a bit "

Bestwishes, M
SORRY ALL! I didn't even think of the beer aspect of this recipe - although once alcohol is boiled for several hours it has no alcohol content to speak of I think?- although I imagine for alcoholics it is more psychological...

Xthanks mek.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

It's just the smell of it gets to me Vall , i could probably eat it without going bananas , but it's a bit like tobacco smoke for this ex-smoker, it just makes me feel ill .

bestwishes, M
Old 02-09-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Beautiful sunny and snow-covered in Vermont this morning! Awesome to wake up without a hangover and free to plan my day. A small condo full of 9 teenage boys later this evening planned by my son; they will be up playing video games on their laptops all night...and eating. I will go out to dinner later with my parents and then watch TV in my bedroom to give the boys their space. I'm happy to read the posts that many are doing well and that everyone is using the SR support! Keep up the great work!!
Old 02-09-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
It's just the smell of it gets to me Vall , i could probably eat it without going bananas , but it's a bit like tobacco smoke for this ex-smoker, it just makes me feel ill .

bestwishes, M
I do understand what you are saying dear mex, although I find it sad as a lot of French cooking involves using alcohol and most of my life has revolved around French/Belgian food as I lived there for so long.

Talking about tobacco smoke - I have never smoked but have been around smokers a lot. and I can say that I h a t e the standard brand cigarettes but the roll your own strangely to me smells ok, like raisins/currants?

All in the mind "n'est ce pas?"

x