Notices

Heroin detox day 3

Old 02-07-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Heroin detox day 3

Hi all - I am new to this site, recently joining after having read a lot of useful tips and having seen great anonymous support to those in recovery.

I am not an addict, I am here for my 19 year old brother. He has been using on a daily basis for a little over a year. It wasn't until about two weeks ago that he began to open up about it and express his need for help. He was snorting around 4-5 bags per day, often in conjunction with other substances. Intellectually he's incredibly gifted, very bright. Through all of this, it's miraculous but his performance at school hasn't been negatively impacted. He's a talented musician as well. Self taught on sax, plays clarinet and piano. He has sold nearly all of his possessions, instruments, computer...all to fund his addiction.

I am proud of him for having been proactive in choosing to detox. He last used this past Monday and nearly died, kept forgetting to breathe, etc. We are now into Thursday and he hasn't touched anything. I've been with him every moment. Seeing as we've never done this before, I cannot tell if he's through the worst of the irritability, vomiting, diarrhea, body aches, chills, sweats, etc but we remain patient and completely supportive.

I guess my questions to those who are reading are around what I can do as his oldest sister to continue to help him even after the physical detox. While I understand I cannot control him or force him to do anything, I know that he admires and looks up to me as any kid brother would. As former users, or supporters or family of users, do you have any suggestions to help him stay on track? Maybe things you wish someone could have helped you with or advice that worked for you? Setting goals or mediation? Activities that you did to reprogram yourself to stop using?

Love and light to all
Old 02-07-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Staying stopped is the hard part. Have him check out NA they have a plan for long term sorbriety
Old 02-07-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome ruby!

Your brother is fortunate to have a sister like you! I think getting support and having some kind of recovery plan is really important. Once he gets through the physical detox, he'll still need to find a way to deal with the mental addiction.

There are lots of options (NA, addiction counseling, etc.) and he'll have to decide what works best for him. As you said, it's ultimately up to him to get better, but I'm sure your encouragement means a great deal to him right now.

Tell him to check out this forum, too. It's been a godsend for me!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovered

I also advocate a PLAN (as the other posters have already said). This plan will be the template for long-term sobriety. Not only must there be a plan, but he needs to FOLLOW the plan.

There are many paths/plans. I would check around, talk to bro, and put something together. My plan is posted on this board somewhere. I wrote it over 3 years ago and still follow it today. (most of it...some of it concluded, like marriage counseling, etc)

Found it: My Plan (post #6)
Old 02-07-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
YEM
05/07/2011

I am 21 months off of IV heroin as of today and I agree that he needs to attend some sort of support group. For me it took rehab (after detox which was in jail) then living in a recovery residence for 6 months which helped me gain back some structure in my life and I found a good job which I still have and I attended 90 NA meetings in 90 days. I still go to 3-4 meetings a week. I have a sponsor and work the steps.

That is awesome he has your support and I hope he can change his ways and stay clean.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and suggestions. He has been going to meetings on a daily basis and now has a sponsor which has proven helpful for him. Now on day six. The withdrawal is not nearly as intense. Still irritable but the sickness has subsided substantially. I appreciate your support and will turn back to give updates as time goes on.

-Ruby