Notices

Drink in the house?

Old 02-07-2013, 01:14 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

No alcohol in my house including mouthwash, vanilla, etc. My husband does occasionally get something for that night but we don't keep extra on hand. I have no desire to drink but then again don't need it staring me in the face. I agree with Dee. If I ever got the temptation, I would prefer a few barriers in my way.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My wife isn't drinking presently but has no reason not to !! So there is occasionally stuff about whilst I'm strong in sobriety it doesn't matter but a few months ago due to a health fear and death of a close relative I kept on noticing a bottle of gin just sitting there, I even picked it up , checked how full it was and although I was called away to the phone and it remained there , that was the moment I could and think was going to launch a few.
I asked Emma to give it to friends who liked Gin.
So spiritually strong can come quickly to an end.
I do cook with wines often but I add to stock and freeze, just removes any accidental risk.
If I'm going to drink it things have already gone pear shaped !!
John.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Oddly, I kept a 12 pack of beer in the refrigerator when I first sobered up, as a sick sort of "in case of emergency break glass" scenario. After a few weeks I gave it to a neighbor, who was tickled pink.

Now there is no reason to keep booze.

Zube
Old 02-07-2013, 01:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

If I lived alone, I think I would not have alcohol around, as there would be no point, really, expect perhaps getting some wine in if I were to have a dinner party or something. However, I live with my wife and daughter (11 yr old daughter, yet to drink). As my wife does have the odd drink, I suspect that she keeps some around here somewhere, although I have never asked her where or looked for it (I can't be certain, but her keeping it out of sight is likely more for her benefit then mine, but I do see her point, keeping it in my sight would have no positive effect, and might well have a negative effect, if not today, maybe in future--she plays it safe). One point which is important to me, perhaps once every few months, roughly, she will have several drinks, and get happy rather than drunk. We have a standing agreement that at such times I may, if feeling at all threatened by drink beiing enjoyed around me take a 'time out' and go upstairs to read or whatever, no questions asked, and no offence to either party (working this out before hand was importand, I think). This strategy seems to work well, as she can drink repsponsably, so does so on occassion, where I can't drink at all, so abstain totally without asking my wife to give up her Christmas egg nog, for example. The important thing was working it out in advance, I believe---anyway, it seems to work for us, allow for dinner parties or whatever with drink, ---hope this at least vaguely addresses your question Best of luck to you, rick
Old 02-07-2013, 02:10 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

There are currently open bottles of Chambord and Bailey's Irish Cream in my liquor cabinet. Those are the longest surviving bottles of alcohol in my house ever. Even on night's when I have been totally smashed and out of everything else, I have left them alone. They are just undrinkable, IMO.

There's nothing else in my house at the moment. The enormous wine rack and wine refrigerator are ominously empty. I don't see any reason to provoke my AV.

We love to entertain. We bought this house because it is great for entertaining. I love to grill for people. I foresee having alcohol available for future parties. Not keeping it on hand between events, but having it available for events.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:21 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
AA member

In early Recovery there was no Alcohol in my home for about 2years.

If I lived alone I would not keep Alcohol in the house.

As I live with my son who does drink there is Alcoho,it is kept in the garage out of my sight.

I would hate to have got sober and live the rest of my life in fear of Alcohol.The programme of AA has taught me how to live on lifes terms and that includes living with someone who is not an Alcoholic and likes a drink from time to time.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:35 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

When I lived alone I didn't keep any alcohol in the house. I had no reason to. If anyone came over and wanted to drink, they were welcome to bring whatever they wanted, but I'd have them take it with them when they left.

Now that I'm married, my wife has some alcohol in the house. She picked up some exotic bottles of I don't even know what when we've traveled. Out of respect, not request... she keeps them out of my sight. I don't know where they are. I, in fact, didn't even know we had any alcohol in the house till not that long ago. I figured she drank or gave away anything she bought.

When I lived in my parents house, they had alcohol around. They rarely drank, but there were times where there'd be a 6-pack, or carafe of wine in the refridgerator. While I didn't really feel tempted by them, there were times I have to admit I felt a bit slighted, as in "why can't I drink that like anyone esle". I found that they did, ever so quietly, whisper to me at different times during the day. I knew they were there. I don't want to play games like that, nor ever feel like I "can't" do something. Without it around those thoughts never cross my mind. I've got nothing to prove by keeping it in the house. So unless there was good reason for me (ie. my wife likes buying exotic wine or rum from time to time), I wouldn't keep any around.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:48 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

If I am to be completely honest, if I kept alcohol in the house, I would probably drink it. I think the pull would just be too big. Best not to tempt myself.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:08 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

When I stopped drinking my wife was still drinking alcoholicaly. So I wouldn't say I allowed alcohol in the house as I kind of had no choice, as there was no way I was able to control her drinking. But it was extremely difficult and took many restarts.
Now that she's passed my house is absolutely alcohol free, and always will be. If it is even remotely possible for you to make your place alcohol free I would say do so.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I have a couple of bottles of champagne I got for my 21st and a bottle of wine from my birth year that my dad got when I was a baby and gave to me when I was 21 (was meant to be when I was 18 but he forgot...). I left them at my mum's when I was drinking as I didn't trust myself not to just drink them (I was saving them for a special occasion). Now I'm sober they are still there. I don't think I'd touch them but I'd rather not take the risk by having them in my house. I live alone though. It would be different if I lived with other people.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:24 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

My house was alcohol free for a good year after I quit. My husband is a 'normal' drinker whatever that is lol.. so he keeps beer in a fridge in the basement, and a bottle of whiskey somewhere down there too. Doesn't bug me (now, 4plus years in).. but if I didn't live with someone who drinks, I wouldn't have alcohol in the house.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:30 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I serve alcohol to guests.

I have a number of beers on a shelf, inside a closet and covered by a towel. I have wine in that closet as well. The alcohol is there for guests.

Seeing as I no longer drink alcohol, this poses no problem at all.

The reason I don't keep the beer in the fridge, is I simply do not wish to look at it every time I open the fridge and grab a soda water.

Out of sight out of mind. If I was ever tempted to have a beer, I'd have my wife dispose of them.

My wife only drinks when out or with guests and she'll have one single glass of wine.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

When I made the decision to quit, we got rid of the beer in the house, similar to the reason mentioned by Xune, I just didn't want to look at them. Those seemed like something I might think about drinking "oh, just one beer..." There are still some unopened bottles of wine in the wine rack above the fridge, but I don't really notice them so at this point they hold no temptation for me. We hung on to them mainly for guests, but if they started to bother me or if I started to think about opening one, we'd just get rid of them.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:33 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

I'll chime in on this one, but I don't expect it to be very popular. I keep booze in the house, I enjoy using it for cooking (another great point of debate here). However I look at it like this: When I was drinking there was never any booze in the house because, well, I would always drink it. I was envious of people who had large wine collections or liquor cabinets because it showed they had control not to drink it all, unlike me.

So now, I actually see the bottles in my house as kinds of trophies to my sobriety. As my mother mentioned when she came for a visit, the fact that there were full bottles of booze around the house was the surest sign I was sober.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I dont keep any in the house, I would hear it calling on me!
Old 02-07-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Only day 2 for me. I cannot have alcohol in the house. When I'm feeling the urge to drink, I remind myself of all the reasons not to drink, which prevents me from going shop to buy some. If I had the booze here, I might instinctively just take it and not bother going through the whole thought process (at least in these early days, I cannot have it in the house)
Old 02-07-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I do not keep any alcohol in my house nor do I offer it for guests. I've had people over for dinner and a movie and theyve brought their own beer or wine which didn't bother me as long as they dispose of or take any unfinised bottles with them at the end of the night. I also tossed out most of my bar ware..shot glasses, martini shakers, etc. No reason to have it around.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

When I decided to stop drinking nearly 6 months ago, I had alcohol in the house, and its still here. I'm OK with it, but I prefer the bottles of wine to be unopened - half-full bottles would be tempting.

I keep it around because I want to be hospitable when friends or family visit, but also because I dont want to feel afraid of it.

I'd go so far as to say that if I didnt have any in the house I would actually buy some, just to have some in - not to actually drink.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

If I lived by myself I wouldn't keep any in the house. I live with my daughter and they aren't big drinkers, she told me that she doesn't want to have it as she thinks it is unfair to me. I thought that was cute!
Old 02-07-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Thankyou so much everyone, lots of different approaches here, it's really interesting to get differing perspectives on this topic.
I can appreciate the comment eventide made about not wanting to appear 'afraid' of this substance, however just having it here so I can walk past it and give myself a imaginary pat on the back is not really necessary... haha
I would still allow others to drink here too, it is my choice not to drink anymore others drinking in my company does not affect me thankfully.