Notices

New battle!!! :( Trouble tapering off benzos...

Old 02-06-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New battle!!! :( Trouble tapering off benzos...

So after I was hospitalized several times for alcohol withdrawal that lasted longer than usual, my doctor hesitantly put me on a low dose of valium for awhile. Due to my last court date coming up, he didnt feel comfortable taking me off them completely, but tapered me down from a fairly high dose.
I knew that my tolerance was rising, and I was anxious about being on something so addictive, yet that seemed to be the only safe route to go as I had major drawn out complications from alcohol withdrawal. Wish they had something other than freakin benzos for that!!!!!

But I began noticing that the valium has made alcohol cravings and plotting worse....I guess because it loosens the inhibitions. So I tried tapering more....BAD PLAN!! Withdrawal from HELL...if it continued I would have ended up in the ER. I guess I tapered too fast or something......so I am disheartened that even though I have tapered I may have to go through terrible withdrawal again . I am going to try stabalizing and then tapering more slowly and see if that helps. Im also VERY concerned that if I get straight time in jail, they will not give me the valium, and I will go through terrible withdrawal with a high seizure risk as well as the terror of being incarcerated.

I so want to be done with ALL mind altering substances of any kind. I am surprised that a low dose caused such bad withdrawal. I know no one can give medical advice, and I am seeing my doctor so I am safe..Im just frustrated about the whole thing. I did get my doc AND psychologist to write a note to the Court saying I need to continue with the valium if incarcerated...I just hope they listen. Slow taper is the way Ive got to go.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oops....correction, I was originally on a high dose, then tapered to a low one.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
jkb

I truly feel for you. I came off a VERY high dose of benzos and have never in my life gone through something that horrible... nor do I ever wish to again. That really is the worst.... I am so sorry your on that s**t. You have to come off slow. I CT 2 mgs of klonopin and 2 mgs of xanax (yep, I was prescribed it... not for alcohol wd but something different) and after 48 hours was in a "tim burton nightmare" I could not escape from.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sadly, I can relate to every single one of your concerns; hospitalizations, w/d from benzos, court dates, alcohol...all of it.

I don't know what kind of dose you're on, but I took 1-3 mg. xanax for over 4 years due to anxiety issues after a health scare. I stopped them when I went to rehab a year ago. Withdrawing from benzos and booze at the same time was horrendous but at least I was free of the xanax.

No real advice but you have my compassion and understanding.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry you're going through so much to get off the valium. But, you're doing the right thing. It's good that you are being open with your dr and that you have a drs note in case of jail time (I hope that doesn't happen).
Old 02-06-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I wished I had any advise, but I will keep you in my Prayers! :ghug3
Old 02-06-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're seeing your Dr windancer

D
Old 02-06-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.
Yeah, benzo withdrawal is no joke. Really messes with my head (EXTREME paranoia, feels like Im going crazy, panic attacks) along with physical things...itching burning skin, electric shock feelings, pressure and tingling in my head, general body numbness and then pain, insomnia partned with lethargy and NO motivation, depression etc. ICK. What horrible drugs.
So many things I just wish were over.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ive been tapering off the high dose of valium for several monthes now (I did get a limited script for ativan a couple times during acute anxiety). I had a terrible experience on an antidepressant....caused me to have a horrific manic episode, though I am not bi-polar, so I am a difficult patient to help for anxiety, ptsd and depression.