Notices

Newbie hello

Old 02-06-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie hello

Hi, just joined today in order to gain some understanding of the hell my boyfriend is experiencing going cold turkey. He's day three and really suffering but tells me day four is the peak day and he's terrified as am I. I'm scared for his life and I'm scared he will lose the courage it took for him to start this process. X
Old 02-06-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Go to a doctor or ER! People can die when they detox from Alcohol. This is very serious stuff. There are medications that can be given that will reduce the symptoms but acute detox is dangerous and sometimes fatal
Old 02-06-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

ER sounds like a real plan!!!
Old 02-06-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's morph addiction. He has a history but was clean for many years even becoming a trained counsellor. Very recently he was prescribed opiates as pain relief after an accident and there it started again. He does know what he's doing but won't go the long route as..long story..but if he were to go the rehab sensible route he risks losing everything he's worked towards. I love this man so much. We grew up together but only found each other again 8 months ago..he is the absolute love of my life . I don't want my life to be without him so I must support him whatever.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Can not offer any advice unfortunately. I have done a ton of opiates but never was addicted to them. You may wish to post in the drug addiction portion of SR or wait for some advice from people who have experience
Old 02-06-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

((Sterling)) - Welcome to SR, though sorry for what has brought you here.

You may want to check out this thread: Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

It's for people who love someone who is addicted to substances. There are some really good threads, called "stickies" at the very top of the forum.

Sadly enough, he can only get clean and find recovery if HE wants it bad enough. Despite his knowledge as a counselor, when we get addicted, it really doesn't matter. I was an RN, a profession I lost to drugs, and I knew all the reasons NOT to get addicted, thought "it won't happen to me, I KNOW better". Pfffft....addiction does not discriminate.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-06-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thankyou..yes, he is a very intelligent man and looking back he more or less spelt it out to me months ago that he was lost again. I feel hurt, let down etc like I should but I have to give him this chance to recover. He has freely admitted that he's tried before many times but not got past day one before let alone day three..so there's hope. Thanks again for reading and replying x
Old 02-06-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

There is always hope Sterling, for your boyfriend and for you.

But, do take care of yourself.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Sterling

I know very little about opiate withdrawal - although it's obviously very different to alcohol withdrawal I still think 'seek medical advice if worried' is a good rule of thumb

I hope you'll check out our Family and Friends forums too

D