Notices

Just needing support.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just needing support.

Hello. I am new here. I recently decided to quit smoking weed. I am 26 and have been smoking 9 years. But only in the past 2 years has it become an all day every day thing. I know it's not physically addicting but for some reason my mental addiction is strong. I haven't been dealing with my stress and anxiety sober for 2 years. I don't want to take pharmaceuticals either I just want to be physically and mentally rejuvenated! I've been researching a lot how to quit and have a pretty good plan I think I just need support to remind me why I'm doing this or maybe some stories of you overcoming your addiction would help. Any more ideas on coping would be great too!
Old 02-06-2013, 09:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Jellybelly!

Glad you've joined us! It's tough dealing with addiction, but it gets easier as you go. Support is the main thing and I know you'll find lots of that here.

There's a lot of ways to deal with the cravings (urge surfing, mindfulness, and AVRT helped me a lot, as well as just coming here and reading/posting). You're definitely not alone in this. You might also want to check out our substance abuse group:
Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Take it a day at a time and know that you can do this!:day6
Old 02-06-2013, 10:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR. I commend your decision to quit. Pot is sublime in the hold it takes over us.

Originally Posted by Jellybelly1707 View Post
I think I just need support to remind me why I'm doing this or maybe some stories of you overcoming your addiction would help. Any more ideas on coping would be great too!
I quit in 1987 after 10 years of all-day, every-day smoking. It was tough. I just quit, no recovery plan, which was a mistake.

I thought pot was my problem, not alcohol. So I kept drinking. Twenty-something years later I'm here for alcoholism. My advice, seek recovery and deal with the reasons you get high. Don't shift those reasons to alcohol.

Good luck.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Welcome to SR. I commend your decision to quit. Pot is sublime in the hold it takes over us.

I quit in 1987 after 10 years of all-day, every-day smoking. It was tough. I just quit, no recovery plan, which was a mistake.

I thought pot was my problem, not alcohol. So I kept drinking. Twenty-something years later I'm here for alcoholism. My advice, seek recovery and deal with the reasons you get high. Don't shift those reasons to alcohol.

Good luck.

Thank you. It will be hard to keep myself from having a drink to relax. Especially since it is so easily accessible. I think I will add to my plan to throw away the alcohol in our home to even though now I'm a very light drinker.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Jellybelly1707 View Post
I think I will add to my plan to throw away the alcohol in our home to even though now I'm a very light drinker.
Good idea, I think.

Back in the day I had a roommate, fellow pothead, who hated drinking, hated drinkers.

Then we hit a dry spell. No pot to be had anywhere, for weeks. My friend starting drinking beer with us. He discovered it wasn't as horrible as he thought. Not a bad alternative to not having anything to smoke.

He moved away. Years later I heard he died an alcoholic.

Again, and I had to learn this the hard way, it's not what we abuse, it's why.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is a great place for support in overcoming addiction and living a happy sober life. What worked for me was making a plan, getting support, and being ready to deal with uncomfortable situations and feelings. I don't think I've gone even a day without reading on here. Great idea pouring out the alcohol too. No need for temptations to switch addictions. Best of luck to you.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Jellybelly

I smoked daily for 25-30 years.

It was hard to give up but not impossible.
You'll find a lot of support here

Here's a few links may help:

MARIJUANA – A Guide to Quitting
Detoxing from Marijuana - Marijuana Anonymous
Quitting Marijuana a 30 Day Self Help Guide // OADE // University of Notre Dame

D