Notices

I thought I was original

Old 02-06-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I thought I was original

And the only one who stashed and hid their bottles. But after reading others history and what brought them here, I obviously am not. So many times I would read and say, Yes! thats what I would do! or I never thought of doing that!
People finding forgotten bottles they had hid, makes me shudder, not only have I done that, but I still hold my breath when I am going through the linen closet or hubby goes searching through my old hiding places praying that one isn't still lurking there. I found myself the other day walking through our office building and spying an empty water bottle and making a mental note to myself where it was, before I did a mental slap and knock it off to my beast.

I really did and do find it comforting to know there are others just like me out there and that I can come here and not be judged or shunned. And that any questions I have someone here in SR has "been there done that" and can help me through the issues. So to all of you
Old 02-06-2013, 09:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't hide anything. It's not like he doesn't know. Just be open about who you are, what you are struggling with. I hope he doesn't judge you, but offers only love and support, which is what you deserve. You owe it to yourself to embrace what you are going through, no secrets. When you are honest with yourself and others, you can achieve whatever you desire.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Tazzle... When I first arrived at SR I felt the same way. I am oddly not special with regard to drinking. And yes. I somehow found that comforting.

The even better part of SR is that while I saw others like me I also saw those same people stay sober. So... That means... its also possible for me.

And YOU!

Ken
Old 02-06-2013, 09:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I never hid bottles, but I thought I could hold my scotch well enough so nobody noticed I was drunk. A series of stumbling falls ended that charade. Freedom from the chains of alcohol is sweeter than a double portion of Ben and Jerry's New York Super Fudge Chunk!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is just priceless when you meet other people who did the same things as you - so you don't feel like you're from another planet
Old 02-06-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hid bottles all over the place. Sometimes not knowing if I drank them all or not. It was very dark in those days. When I started to get sober I started to share a lot of what I did with my wife. Not all at once to overwhelm her but slowly over time. She knows everything now and still loves and respects me. Honesty is a very comforting feeling. Good luck.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

HAHA! We all think we are so sneaky don't we! I had just posted that I found 2 in the last few days in the basement. I remember finding them & thinking I was striking gold!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

The extent to which our behaviour was ridiculous is exemplified by the fact that we can't believe anyone else would ever do such horrible things.

Did we really think that--at the height of stupidity and unconsciousness -- we could possibly do something smart and original? How delusional...
Old 02-06-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is one of the things I love about posting here! Not matter what I've been through, done or said, someone else has been there!
Turns out I'm neither original or crazy, just an alcoholic!
Old 02-06-2013, 12:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
The extent to which our behaviour was ridiculous is exemplified by the fact that we can't believe anyone else would ever do such horrible things.

Did we really think that--at the height of stupidity and unconsciousness -- we could possibly do something smart and original? How delusional...
Sooooo true!
Old 02-06-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Finding other people who have had experiences similar to mine has been one of the benefits of AA.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by tazzle View Post
And the only one who stashed and hid their bottles. But after reading others history and what brought them here, I obviously am not. So many times I would read and say, Yes! thats what I would do! or I never thought of doing that!
People finding forgotten bottles they had hid, makes me shudder, not only have I done that, but I still hold my breath when I am going through the linen closet or hubby goes searching through my old hiding places praying that one isn't still lurking there. I found myself the other day walking through our office building and spying an empty water bottle and making a mental note to myself where it was, before I did a mental slap and knock it off to my beast.

I really did and do find it comforting to know there are others just like me out there and that I can come here and not be judged or shunned. And that any questions I have someone here in SR has "been there done that" and can help me through the issues. So to all of you

There is even a term for this. It is call terminal uniqueness
Old 02-06-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

It was great to come here and realise I was not only understood - I wasn't alone

Thanks Taz
D
Old 02-06-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

In the end I found that I wasn't as clever as I thought I was