SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   This is INSANE (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/283462-insane.html)

Elisabeth888 02-06-2013 07:17 AM

This is INSANE

I have to tell on myself: I am having the urge to drink. I just got 4 months and I want to drink.

I am not going to, but it is like I have this itch and I want to scratch it. Thing is, I know that it is not the answer. The consequences outweigh the benefits. There ARE NO benefits for me. So WHY do I want to? Because I am an alcoholic, of course.

I am so sick of it. This feeling will pass and I will be so happy and relieved I did not give into it.

Thanks for letting me get that out there.

MIRecovery 02-06-2013 07:22 AM

Yup, it is insane but that is what us alcoholics do. There are still times that the bite hits me hard but the longer I am sober the shorter and less frequent the bites.

Stay strong and remember how much your life s_cked drinking

SoberRo 02-06-2013 07:29 AM

Four months is such a wonderful achievement :)

Elisabeth888 02-06-2013 07:43 AM

I prayed and called my sponsor. Move a muscle, change a thought is what she said.

So I am going to get down and get into my Anatomy & Physiology and do my work.

Windancer 02-06-2013 07:55 AM

Glad you posted and came up with a plan instead ;)
Great job and congrats on 4 monthes!!!

duane1 02-06-2013 07:57 AM

Days like this come and go. Recognize the AV and put it in it's place. Dwelling on the voice only makes it stronger. You are doing great!

shoreladylu 02-06-2013 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 (Post 3807649)
I prayed and called my sponsor. Move a muscle, change a thought is what she said.

So I am going to get down and get into my Anatomy & Physiology and do my work.

That's what I've been doing when I'm bored. And I'm definitely a prcrastinator. In the past I usually waited until the last minute to do my work. Which of course made me want to drink to forget all the work I had to do. I feel so much better about myself when Im done with my work ahead of time. That feeling of being proud gives me incentive to stay sober.

Nice job working on the problem and not just expecting it to pass!

Lost3000 02-06-2013 08:42 AM

I hate those urges. My trick is to think it through. From the first drink to the last. Then visualize the next day, the feelings. Next, I make myself do something, anything - something to distract my mind. Eventually, the urge passes, usually faster than I'd expect.

Nonsensical 02-06-2013 08:47 AM

Actually, from the viewpoint that the compulsion to drink comes from pleasure centers in the brain that really LOVE alcohol - it's quite sane to crave.

My reaction to that natural craving, on the other hand, has been known to be downright bonkers. :)

raja12 02-06-2013 08:56 AM

I'm so glad you worked thu it and didn't cave in . 4 months is great! You certainly don't want to go back to day 1. I've done that too many times 2 count. And yes, this disease is insane.

Natom 02-06-2013 08:59 AM

Urges are just a natural part of us being alcoholics and addicts. I always find it helpful to sit down with a glass of water for 5 minutes and remember all the consequences that were a direct result of my drug use. My head normally starts behaving after that.

Natom.

SavingSelf 02-06-2013 10:16 AM

4 months is great! Hopefully I will be there soon (Feb 27th!).

I feel cravings are a "natural" response to recovery at this point and try not to get too worked up about them. "Of course I am having a craving, I'm an alcoholic". And then I go about my day.

I think it's great that I have gone from wanting to drink every day, to wanting a drink when stressed or at a social function. I assume with time the cravings will get less and less. And even if they never completely go away--well now I have all this experience getting through them so will still be ok.

Good job on telling on yourself and getting through the moment. :)

Anna 02-06-2013 10:37 AM

It will pass, Elisabeth, and congratulations on 4 months of recovery!

YouRmySunshine 02-06-2013 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 (Post 3807612)
I have to tell on myself: I am having the urge to drink. I just got 4 months and I want to drink.

I am not going to, but it is like I have this itch and I want to scratch it. Thing is, I know that it is not the answer. The consequences outweigh the benefits. There ARE NO benefits for me. So WHY do I want to? Because I am an alcoholic, of course.

I am so sick of it. This feeling will pass and I will be so happy and relieved I did not give into it.

Thanks for letting me get that out there.

We just went over this in group, and we have people that have said even after 10 yrs there are still urges, and its normal, & its great to share it out there with people that understand :ring

Elisabeth888 02-06-2013 10:43 AM

I got scared and went to a meeting and shared about it.

Someone said something that stuck with me: "I am sick of drinking but I am also sick of not drinking." I think I am more sick of drinking and doing the same old thing.

FreeFall 02-06-2013 01:34 PM

Some days I get really sick of not drinking, but then I try to think of some reasons why it would be good to drink again and I can only usually think of one. It's never enough to make me start again. Sometimes it feels good to think of "what if" like fantasizing about other things I can't do either. Visit them in your mind only kind of thing.

hypochondriac 02-06-2013 02:37 PM

Good for you for telling on yourself Elisabeth x

I think sometimes we give these cravings/urges more power than they deserve. Sometimes it catches me of guard and I almost can't believe I actually want to drink. But then I have to remind myself that it's kinda my natural default setting. I'm hoping it won't always be but having that urge should't be surprising. But if we allow it to freak us out or focus on it too much it can become bigger. I always find the ignore it and it'll go away approach works for me. If I even allow myself to consider drinking as an option then the craving gets worse.

Dee74 02-06-2013 02:42 PM

A lot of people seem to see recovery as equalling 'no urges at all ever'.
That wasn't my experience at all - certainly not in the first year anyway :)

For me recovery is meeting the urges...and not capitulating...it's about doing something different and making healthy choices.

I think you did great Elizabeth :)

D