SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Long time lurker, first time poster (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/283450-long-time-lurker-first-time-poster.html)

SasaKay 02-06-2013 05:06 AM

Long time lurker, first time poster

Hello! I've been spending countless hours on this site everyday and finally decided to take the plunge and join the SR community. :) I would like to convey how grateful I am for a place like this where people could so bravely share their stories, their fumbles and their triumphs. It is because of their sharing that helped me with coming to terms with my drinking. Thank you!!
I am currently 26 days sober and so far I am feeling great. Aside from catching the flu, I have had a good amount of energy and enthusiasm for each new day until the past couple of days. Now I feel tired, a little anxious and unmotivated. I am wondering if this is a side effect of early recovery (under 30 days) or if it is due to something else. I have been experiencing a lot of stress and negativity at work (overall, the general morale is low amongst all of my coworkers). Could work be to blame or is this a normal reaction?

doggonecarl 02-06-2013 05:29 AM

Welcome to SR and congrats on 26 days.

Not sure why you are tired. Not to be construed as giving medical advice, it probably has more to do with lingering effects of the flu.

Early recovery does have its share of ups and downs, though. If it continues, you should see your doctor.

heath480 02-06-2013 05:33 AM

Welcome to SR SasaKay,congratulations on 26 days.

I was very up and down emotionally in my early days.Eventually I settled down to being more balanced.

Stick with it and I am sure you will be fine.Seek medical advice if you need to.

Wishing you well.

Dee74 02-06-2013 05:35 AM

Hi and welcome SasaKay :)

If it helps at all, I was fatigued for a good while- like Carl said the flu would definitely not help :)

D

Received 02-06-2013 05:37 AM

Hi SasaKay and welcome.

I went through a very tired/flu like spell at about two weeks and then again about 5 days ago. Actually having the flu would surely make things harder.

It's always strongly advised to see a doctor, if you're concerned, just as a precaution.

Glad you're here.

FeelingGreat 02-06-2013 05:45 AM

hi and welcome. Well done on your 26 days. I think coping with life without the usual prop can bring some ups and downs, while you work on other ways of relieving stress. Don't give up though, it's worth it for the feeling of waking up clear headed, whatever the day brings.

JungleGirl 02-06-2013 06:07 AM

Welcome SasaKay and congrats on your sober time. The flu and stress from work would definitely not be a helpful factor in your recovery but even sober living will have you feeling tired and stressed sometimes, just a part of life. Having a clear mind though is the greatest benefit of not drinking so keep it up, your doing great!

Critica76 02-06-2013 06:18 AM

Welcome! You are in a good place here! Make sure to take care of yourself (rest and eat well) I am not sure how long the tired lasts, I am still tired... But it is much better being tired than sick and tired.
These are some wonderful people on here.

soberclover 02-06-2013 06:21 AM

Achieving and maintaining sobriety can be tiring at times! I'm still learning how to take care of myself. I'm glad that you jumped on to this site...it is wonderful and I have found it really key to my sobriety!

SasaKay 02-06-2013 06:23 AM

Hi everyone :-) Thanks for all the well wishes and support! I think my problem might be putting too much pressure on myself and not giving myself enough down time to relax, which always led to drnking to 'unwind' from a hectic day. Even when I had the flu, I felt bad for taking a day off from work and asking friends for help. Asking for help has always been a problem for me. Somehow I delude myself into thinking that it makes me inadequate when I now know that it doesn't make me weak but hopefully make me stronger.
My new goal: start asking for help and start taking the time to make the sober me better.

applecake 02-06-2013 06:31 AM

Welcome Sasakay! I'm glad you've joined us. Interesting you should mention putting too much pressure on yourself and not taking the time to relax. You definitely are not alone there. A couple of members talked about that very thing last night in chat!