Notices

Wife is bipolar, has PTSD and is an alcoholic in rehab

Old 02-05-2013, 09:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wife is bipolar, has PTSD and is an alcoholic in rehab

Hello, this is my first post.
My wife and I met in the military in 1986 and married in 1987. She left me in 1994 and I filed for divorce. We reconciled 6 months after it was final. After our children were old enough to fend for themselves, we started going out every weekend. One weekend. A long story shortened, she joined the VFW. She became so obcessed with it, that's all she wanted to do. If I wanted to spend time with her, I had to go to the VFW. Her drinking was getting way out of hand and her PTSD and anger escalated. Since she is 100% permanent and total, she is the money maker of the house. The money I made the first 17 years was our money. When she was awarded disability in 2003, it was her money. Early last year, she told me we were done. The kids are grown and gone and it's time for us to go seperate ways. She was really drunk at the time so I didn't give it much thought but she stuck to her guns.
Her counselor convinced her to enter the PTSD program an hour away in a neighboring state. 14 weeks later she apologized for everthing. She gave me a nice card telling me she didn't mean anything she said. I was the love of her life and soul mate and if I would have her, we would grow old together. 4 months later, right back to drinking and once again, we were done. She had a falling out with the VFW and pushes everyone away. We were renting and our lease was up the end of Jan. She moved an hour away to be by the VA were she is attending therepy for alcohol and PTSD. She then wants to go to Little Rock for 3 months of inhouse treatment for alcohol, PTSD and bipolar. She says we are done but she still calls once a week and gives me money since I lost my job a couple years ago and went back to school which is what she wanted me to do.
I don't bother her and only talk when she calls. I'm being patient and I'm a very laid back person. She tells everyone we're seperated and tells me to do whatever. I have told her that I am very proud of her for taking this step. She does need time for her and her therepy and I will be patient and wait if there is hope she will return. BTW, our home town doesn't offer those classes at our VA or she wouldn't have moved. Sorry this is so long. What are your thoughts and advice? Thanks
Old 02-05-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kramer

All of this is pretty much outside my sphere of experience but I know others will be along soon to share their experiences.

You might also like to look in at our Family and Friends forums as well
Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

You'll find a lot of support here - welcome to SR

D