Notices

Weekend Alcoholic

Old 02-05-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weekend Alcoholic

I go through stages, on the week days I will often not have a drop unless I am going out to dinner. At which time I will usually have one beer and be done. But on the weekends I absolutely lush out and just get wild. I am not happy with my actions when doing so, thus my joining of this site. I know that I can avoid these situations and not drink on the weekend, I am just having a hard time doing so at my ripe age of 25. I would appreciate responses of any kind, similar, dissimilar. I know that this can develop into a serious problem and I do not wish to be a deviant. Thank you all for sharing and I wish you all a wondrous life with much love.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome hockeybk

Weekend drinking was how I started...gradually the start of the weekend got earlier and earlier and end got later and later - eventually they met on a Wednesday...

have you tried not drinking on a weekend at all?

D
Old 02-05-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hockeybk View Post
I go through stages, on the week days I will often not have a drop unless I am going out to dinner. At which time I will usually have one beer and be done. But on the weekends I absolutely lush out and just get wild. I am not happy with my actions when doing so, thus my joining of this site. I know that I can avoid these situations and not drink on the weekend, I am just having a hard time doing so at my ripe age of 25. I would appreciate responses of any kind, similar, dissimilar. I know that this can develop into a serious problem and I do not wish to be a deviant. Thank you all for sharing and I wish you all a wondrous life with much love.
Welcome to the forum, it's great you have recognised this as a problem. Weekend drinkers often don't think of themselves as alcoholics but more and more research shows this is a form of alcoholism and it seems it's one of the most damaging forms. It seems strange but chronic alcoholics often take longer to develop serious complications than regular binge drinkers such as yourself. You're also at higher risk of acute alcohol poisoning, statistically speaking. This is why A&E is full of people at the weekend.

I don't think you're a deviant, actually at least in UK society tea totallers are the biggest deviants as most people seem to drink alcohol to one degree or another lol. I can't speak for other countries of course.

Getting this sorted before it gets a lot worse is a great idea but it will take work. Try and fit something else into your weekends rather than clubbing or whatever it is you do. Although I have to say clubbing sober can really work to turn you off alcohol. Just go out and watch towards the end of the night as people are stumbling around, throwing up, crying, fighting and all that other stuff. Trying to remember all of that is helping me stay sober, I even watched some videos on youtube.

So hopefully you can find something on here to help you along. But I think it's really great you have realised this is a problem before you're physically dependent, because at that point it gets a hell of a lot harder believe me.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi hockey

I'm 25 also and I was a weekend binge drinker. Drinking was having a negative impact on my life and certainly my decisions, I just thought it was totally normal and would never have considered myself as having an alcohol problem because all my friends where doing the exact same thing!

I can't believe I continued drinking after some of the things I did while drunk, it stuns me sometimes.

It is for sure difficult at times to be the sober one and people will not always understand but they are not living in your shoes, if alcohol is having a negative impact on your life you will feel much better about nipping it in the bud now instead of wasting another 10 years before really starting to live.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Don't know if you are an alcoholic or just abuse alcohol when you can let loose on the weekends. Just by saying you can stop drinking after one drink on the weekdays tell me you are able to control drinking when you need to. When weekend hits, you don't have a time limit or at least a 2 days of not worrying about if I need to be at class or at work. Best beat is to stop drinking all together for a period of time to get out of your bad routine habit with weekend binders with alcohol. The longer you avoid it the harder it will to get out of it.

I remember I would get drunk on the weekends and it progress to the weekdays. It was not a great time for me. Waking up on Monday with a bad hangover and drinking hard liquor to get my head straight before work. Not fun and wish I dealt with it then instead of now. Good lick
Old 02-05-2013, 11:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Im Like Dee74 ..I would tell myself i would drink 1 bottle starting friday after work and that would last me the whole weekend..it soon became a bottle a day friday and saturday then a mad rush sunday before football..so 3 bottles every weekend ..then i would consider thursday as almost the weekend and start there.
then mondays sucked so to take the edge off i would need a few ..
Old 02-05-2013, 11:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

I've had to chose to not do the usual drinking activities/venues, or mix with the drinking crowd on the weekend. in order to stay sober I have to "think the evening through to the end" knowing what the outcome will be. I've not regretted any weekend yet. Give it a try, say, for a month and see how you feel. You can always go back to the alternative.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the site!
Old 02-06-2013, 01:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was the same at your age, getting smashed at weekends and not touching a drop till the following weekend. Over time this will change, alcoHELL will gradually start to have a bigger and more damaging effect on your life .Its a cliche but if i had known what i know now at your age, I would stop in a millisecond and have lived my life free from the clutches of this ridiculous drug.

A sober life is liberating.

Good luck .