Notices

Sobriety just gets better

Old 02-05-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety just gets better

It is amazing to me how much I have progressed in this journey. If anyone is thinking that sobriety can't be fun or even "easy" at times, please hang in there. As more time passes, I find myself thinking about drinking less. Some days I don't think about it at all. And when I do, it's more of a fleeting thought now, rather than a craving.

When I first started I was asking everyone who would listen "When will I feel better" and "What is the time frame". I wanted standards, numbers, a baseline. But most didn't have an answer for me. In fact, a lot of people said the same thing "It's different for everyone but just trust that it gets better". I am so glad I listened to my fellow human alcoholics...here at SR and in the rooms.

I am learning so much about how to be patient, willing, honest, open and about how to have fun..sober. There's a peace that comes with being sober and little by little it has crept into my life. First thru fatigue which led me to rest. Then thru energy which leads me to spend time with friends and loved ones.

At almost 3 months I can feel/see so many positive changes in myself and can't imagine why I would EVER go back. But I know I need to keep working at this and continue to take my medicine which is AA, reading and posting at SR and being grateful for remembering all the reasons I want to stay sober.

I hope everyone is well
Old 02-05-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done, so wonderful that your feeling strong and happy. It's a fantastic journey and you summed it up well.
Keep it up!
Old 02-05-2013, 07:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Congrats quit! Ive followed some of your journey both as I was still using and now sober. It is always beautiful to me when I see the progress and the reality that we can live life sober as long as we have the willingness to take action. For me I get lots of fear of the unknown sometimes but the next day Im always happy I stayed on the path. Its scary but I dont have any desire to turn back. Im already living my new life. You are a month ahead of me and its really great to hear the happiness in your words. Keep on trudgin.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys Fallow... I totally agree with you on being glad you hung on through the bad days. I truly have to live one day at a time & some of those hard days I broke down into hour intervals. I kept & still keep in mind that I can do anything for a span of 24 hours whether that's staying sober, getting thru sadness, anger, loneliness etc. I look forward to continuing to share this journey with you!
Old 02-06-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Quit, thanks for the inspiration. Getting to 3 months seems so far away. I just made it past a month yesterday. I feel great, but I have little confidence. I want so much to turn this into 3, 6, 25 months! I hope things can get better for me as they have for you. Congrats and good luck for the future!
Old 02-06-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lovely post quit.I' m glad things are going well for you.Congratulations on 3 months
Old 02-06-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting that Quit, its really encouraging to hear how different things can be
Old 02-06-2013, 09:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Great post, Fallow - congratulations on almost 3 months sober!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

So glad to hear your're working at this. Me? I got complacent...was floating on the "pink cloud" at five months only to relapse badly.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations, thanks for the inspiring post!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Chainsaw, it seemed far to me too when I was at 1 month but hang I'm there & you won't be disappointed! John, I rode that pink cloud a little after 30 days & then things seemed to get harder for awhile. It can be difficult to do but we just have to be patient
Old 02-06-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That was a fantastic update, quit. Thanks so much for posting it!
Old 02-06-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

awesome post Quit

D
Old 02-06-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thats awesome about your 3 monthes!!!
And it does get better.....you articulated your journey very well.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am on week 2 and thoroughly amazed at myself. Lots of prayer and something my sponsor told me to tell myself which I shared in another thread here.