Notices

Two relapsers

Old 02-05-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Lost, I'd probably feel similar to how you're feeling in that situation. Maybe due to you feel like you're in it together and then feel like you're by yourself and it's a let down? I see "sober" as black and white so being awarded a 3 year chip while using drugs the whole time seems crazy to me. However, if AA is strictly about not drinking then she deserves the chip because she didn't drink following that logic. I can see where you'd feel confused. As for the other, I guess all you can do is offer support and not take it personally. If you need to distance yourself just take the space you need. You might feel differently after it's all had a chance to sink in.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:51 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
You are not the only one that has these problems. Last night there is a guy who I am about 90% sure is not sober but he goes on and on about him having 3 years of sobriety and dispensing his wisdom. Buggs that crap out of me. Practice not perfection
i was thinking about this when i was reading through the posts. have seen quite a few peple who dont seem to get their amount of recovery time right. one week its 7 years, the next its 3, then 5. i have also seen people get ther chips while reaking of alcohol. then others get it and go on to be a bobblehead during the meeting.
how do i feel about it today? welp, if they dont want to be honest, its their problem. if they decide they want to get honest, i'll help. i think some people dont realize that AA is the largest old bul***itters club there is.
i am also glad to see them at a meeting. the world is safe for that time.
to thine own self be true.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

We had a drunk guy leading meetings until group conscience got involved. It is a bull crappers club to .sure
Old 02-05-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

You sound jealous, which is fine. You don't think it's fair that she lies and gets away with it while you're working much harder. Unfortunately, life isn't fair. The best rewards are internal - recovering, knowing you are living a good life and doing the right thing, being present in the world. You can never control what others will do to get ahead - cheating on their taxes, lying about their sobriety, taking Adderall to study. You're right, it ISN'T fair. But then neither is the world... I'd focus on being happy with your own successes and not letting other people undermine your definition of success and happiness.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:22 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
All I am saying is you getting a 3 yr chip is fair to you. There are tons of things in this world that are unfair but I can only fix myself. People, places and things are in my higher powers hands. It is so easy to externalize and worry about everything else because if I do I do not have to examine myself which is what drugs and alcohol allowed me to do. I can use anger and resentments as a drug just as sure as I used alcohol
First of all, your dog looks awesome and I am kinda jealous he/she does not belong to me

Secondly, I very much agree with the above post. Very well said.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:43 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Originally Posted by Lost3000 View Post

I don't know if I'll ever get used to it. It's bothersome. But I do see the value in it, in that I am reminded of how quickly one can lose sight. The one who relapsed was 14 months sober, same as me. He has very similar circumstances. So while I was horrified, I was grateful that he came back to talk about it - because it does help me remember what it was like.
Im not in anyway saying I dont care. I care lots. I know the pain of being an active alcoholic/drunk, whatever you call it. Its a nightmare I cant believe I forget.

I just have to accept that everyone is on their own journey. Nobody could ever stop me from doing anything. Some left a nugget of wisdom to grow on though. Many times just through how they acted or reacted.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:41 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by FreeFall View Post
Lost, I'd probably feel similar to how you're feeling in that situation. Maybe due to you feel like you're in it together and then feel like you're by yourself and it's a let down? I see "sober" as black and white so being awarded a 3 year chip while using drugs the whole time seems crazy to me. However, if AA is strictly about not drinking then she deserves the chip because she didn't drink following that logic. I can see where you'd feel confused. As for the other, I guess all you can do is offer support and not take it personally. If you need to distance yourself just take the space you need. You might feel differently after it's all had a chance to sink in.
Yeah, that's a lot of how I feel. Like we were in it together. I also feel the same about the 3 yr chip and doing weed. I guess I just don't agree with it.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
i was thinking about this when i was reading through the posts. have seen quite a few peple who dont seem to get their amount of recovery time right. one week its 7 years, the next its 3, then 5. i have also seen people get ther chips while reaking of alcohol. then others get it and go on to be a bobblehead during the meeting.
how do i feel about it today? welp, if they dont want to be honest, its their problem. if they decide they want to get honest, i'll help. i think some people dont realize that AA is the largest old bul***itters club there is.
i am also glad to see them at a meeting. the world is safe for that time.
to thine own self be true.
HA! Interesting. I have noticed that too. Someone told me they were 3 years sober, then the next month took a 2 year chip. Totally - it's their deal if they don't want to get honest about it. And I'm so glad it's not me!

"The largest old bul***itters club" -- LOL.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by isinganyway View Post
You sound jealous, which is fine. You don't think it's fair that she lies and gets away with it while you're working much harder. Unfortunately, life isn't fair. The best rewards are internal - recovering, knowing you are living a good life and doing the right thing, being present in the world. You can never control what others will do to get ahead - cheating on their taxes, lying about their sobriety, taking Adderall to study. You're right, it ISN'T fair. But then neither is the world... I'd focus on being happy with your own successes and not letting other people undermine your definition of success and happiness.
Hmmm, no. I can see how you might read into it that way, but that's honestly not how I feel. The jealous part anyway. I do think it's unfair to not just me but all the others who are going thru life stone cold sober and she's doing drugs while getting a chip. Kind of sends the wrong message to all the other newcomers. Some are on their first week or day, or 30 days, and then they see this girl get a 3 yr chip while admitting to smoking pot the whole time. Kind of just wrong.

I found this out a few days ago - so am coming full circle. I don't feel as strongly about it or as shocked about it now. It's totally their deal. I am very glad it's not me, I am sober and happy.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by Fallow View Post
Im not in anyway saying I dont care. I care lots. I know the pain of being an active alcoholic/drunk, whatever you call it. Its a nightmare I cant believe I forget.

I just have to accept that everyone is on their own journey. Nobody could ever stop me from doing anything. Some left a nugget of wisdom to grow on though. Many times just through how they acted or reacted.
Yeah, I can relate. Or understand where you are coming from. Acceptance is key for me and I'm working hard on it. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lost3000 View Post

"The largest old bul***itters club" -- LOL.
when i got into AA( and had also stopped drinking) my now sponsor seemed to always be in one of the chairs across from me at meetings. after i'd get sone sharing, he'd say one of 2 things:
"its yer lie"
or
"yer eyes can sparkle and yer teeth can glitter
but ya cant bul**hit and old bul**hitter."

took me a bit to see my whole life was one huge lie, but without him callin me out, i doubt id see it, get to hatin him, then come to respecting what he had to say.