Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

New to the forum. 26 years old, newly sober, and afraid of health complications

Notices

Old 02-04-2013, 10:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi,

My name's Chris and for the past five years, I've been a heavy drinker. I've decided to quit because, quite frankly, I'm downright scared of the effect it has on me. I'm 26 years old and, after spending high school and college completely sober, I developed a drinking habit that went from a few beers on the weekend, to drinking every night, to eventually consuming between a half pint and a pint (and sometimes more) every single night with the exceptions far and few between.

I've made the decision to go sober and I'm a little scared.

It was only very recently where I began to see my habit as a serious problem. I cut down, yes, but I was always afraid of stopping. Until now - and this is why I sought out a forum. I've always been a healthy person and work out 4-5 times a week but I fear the toll that alcohol has taken on my health. Alcoholism is something that runs deep in my family and a term that I've turned a blind eye to for all these years - I don't think I saw myself as an "alcoholic" when juxtaposed to the idea I had in my head of one. After only a few short days of sobriety, I find my thoughts racing - thinking of the missed opportunities, fractured relationships, and a personality change I've undergone over the course of the period of time I drank heavily. I was always one to hide my problems and carry on living a normal life (or what I thought was normal), and I'm ashamed to say that I convinced both friends and coworkers alike.

Within the past few weeks, I've had a dull, lingering pain in my middle/lower back on both sides of my spinal column. Right in the area of the kidneys. After a night of even light drinking, this pain seems to spread to my bladder. I've stayed hydrated and maintained a healthy diet, but I'm concerned about diseases that could be derived from alcoholism. I've read up on everything ranging from kidney disease to cirrhosis (which - again - runs in my family). I'm planning a visit to the doctor soon and have no other symptoms - no oddly colored urine, no fever, no tremors or anything of that nature - except for this dull pain in my kidney area, occasional numbness in my left hand, and what might or might not be a cold weather-related rash on the top of my hands.

To all you forum-goers: Is there anybody else who's around my age who has lived through a similar situation? What was it that convinced you to stop? Did you have any physical symptoms or serious health problems?

Thanks to all who read and any feedback is appreciated.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Chris!

You should be completely honest with your doctor about your drinking. It is likely that you will be able to get over any minor health effects of drinking if you quit, but the alcoholism will always be there--it is likely you will never be able to control your drinking, so you must not drink at all.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You should see your Dr. I hat to say this because I don't want to talk you out of thinking you have a problem, but I drank 2 to 4 times that amount daily for three times as long as you've been drinking. I did have some issues and would likely be dead had I not stopped, but set your mind at ease, go to your Dr., and keep your plan to quit.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
One Day @ a Time

You and I are in the same boat, to a prefect-T almost, only I'm younger.
I offer no advice that you haven't heard or thought of yourself already, but seek the help that is necessary and keep focused...
I welcome you and wish you the best of luck in your sober journey.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the tips, guys, and good luck to you as well. It took a lot just to muster up enough courage to post on here, and I'm glad that I'm not by myself in feeling the need for help.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I drink heavily, I feel it on my right side. My liver. Haven't been there in a while but know what it's like. Be well Chris. You are stronger than our temptations.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome chris

I think your best resort is to see a Dr - it may be nothing...but it's always best to be safe IMO

D
Old 02-05-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

During my drinking days I had several pains and internal issues that went away after I stopped. I used to have a terrible ache in my lower right abdomen, in my gut. Not sure what that was. I also had bad bowel problems (sorry to bring it up) that resulted in me crapping bile-colored water. Yuck. Also went away. I had psoriasis quite badly on my elbows, knees, back, and thighs. Cold sores that wouldn't heal too. Same story, those went away after I stopped drinking. I bet you will notice a lot of your issues get better - but you must quit drinking totally for that to happen.

I am just sharing my experience. I am in no way qualified to give medical advice - but I thought you would like to hear it. It is strongly suggested (if not a rule) that we NOT give medical advice on this board. I suggest you see your doctor about the issues. Be honest, and I bet you will find, much to your relief, that your new lifestyle will help your cause.