Notices

Body language of recovering alcoholic predicts relapses

Old 02-04-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Body language of recovering alcoholics predicts relapses

To predict whether a problem drinker will hit the bottle again, ignore what they say and watch their body language for displays of shame, a University of British Columbia study finds.

The study, which explored drinking and health outcomes in newly sober recovering alcoholics, is the first to show that physical manifestations of shame – from slumped shoulders to narrow chests – can directly predict a relapse in people who struggle with substances.

“Our study finds that how much shame people display can strongly predict not only whether they will go on to relapse, but how bad that relapse will be – that is, how many drinks they will consume,” says UBC Psychology Prof. Jessica Tracy, who conducted the study with graduate student Daniel Randles.

The study, to be published this week by the Association for Psychological Science journal Clinical Psychological Science, assessed the body language and self-reported shame of 46 participants in videotaped interviews, several months apart.

The study included two sessions. In the first session, participants were asked to “describe the last time you drank and felt badly about it.” In a second session, four months later, participants were asked to report their drinking behaviors. They completed questionnaires about their physical and mental health at both of the sessions.

The study found that participants who displayed greater levels of shame behaviours in the first session were more likely to relapse by the second session. In contrast, written or verbal expressions of shame did not predict their likelihood of relapse.

The study found that shame behaviors in the initial session also predicted an increased number of psychiatric symptoms at the second session, and worsening health over time.

more on the study:

Body language can predict outcomes for recovering alcoholics « UBC Public Affairs
Old 02-04-2013, 07:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

On a related note.

My addictions Doctor told me that the language I've chosen to use during our sessions is not the language used by his clients who are in the midst of or are about to relapse.

Makes sense to me.

Thanks for posting this.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Very interesting.

I sometimes notice it in myself when people ask me questions about when I'm going to start again (I had just told people I was taking a break, at the time that's what I thought I was doing) I'll answer "maybe never" and then think to myself "huh-that's new".

Xune, did your doctor give specifics about any of the language someone close to relapse would use?
Old 02-04-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Unfortunately no.

At the time I was speaking passionately about not consuming alcohol, that I'm an addict, that I can no longer drink and that I would destroy my life if I picked up the bottle again.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So, is this so recovering alcoholics can make note of their own body language and prevent their own relapse?
Old 02-05-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Might be more helpful for family members to more easily cut through the BS that their addict family members throw at them.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Awareness of body language is just another (possibly) useful tool in recovery. Nothing more/nothing less.

Originally Posted by choublak View Post
So, is this so recovering alcoholics can make note of their own body language and prevent their own relapse?
Old 02-05-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Here is the link to the full paper:

Nonverbal Displays of Shame Predict Relapse and Declining Health in Recovering Alcoholics
Old 02-05-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Maybe the absence of shaming addicts for their behaviors as practiced here contributes to the success of SR in helpling us achieve sobriety. It worked for me.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I must say that reading that article certainly took me back a few years; I felt like I was back in school taking a pysch course, but in any case thank you for providing the interesting link. I think that there might be a couple of flaws in the study; for example, there is no mention if whether the authours addressed the issue of culture in the study, that is, are we to expect that non-verbal shame indicators are the same in every culture (10 % of the study group were Native American, for example, and Vancouver is a very culturally diverse city). I would expect that they might well vary with culture, but as the authors make no mention of it, I have no way of knowing; it follows that the culture of the people coding the 10 second clips might or might not affect the validity of the study, yet no mention is made of it). Also, the study was of "newly sober people, i.e. people with less than 6 months of sobriety". I would have found it interesting to group the study in subgroups of which stage of AA the subject was currently working on, as one would expect that a person with one day of studying AA would have worked fewer steps than another subject that had been working the steps for 6 months less a day. I do find the study interesting in that it explains the self-affirmation nature of many AA slogans, and underscores the importance of taking a rigourous self inventory, addressing it where possible, and most importantly (according to the study, it would seem, forgive yourself, and thereby let go of the shame, which in turn helps maintan sobriety (if I am getting my AA experience correctly, which I might be as I have remained sober while working steps in AA [and other supports, I should mention] since last March). Thanks again for an interesting post-----rick

Last edited by ricmcc; 02-05-2013 at 11:08 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-05-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That's very interesting.

It reminds me of that Red Dwarf episode where the usually very dapper and confident Cat loses his self esteem. He starts slouching, dressing like a bum, and drinking from a paper bag.

It occurs to me - what if we decided to do the exact opposite, even if we didn't feel like it? Make an effort to stand tall, purchase better clothing and generally spend money on self-care, and do whatever else we can to display pride in ourselves? Sort of a twist on the "fake it till you make it" principle.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have spent quite a bit trying to 'relaunch' myself as a new and improved version...
Hair, clothes, make up everything has changed...
I think you have an excellent point there riel
Old 02-05-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
rmr

Interesting...

Hi
I am new to SR and only have been sober for 2 days. I decided to stop drinking because of a very shameful incident. I am very disgusted with myself. Does that mean that I am likely to have a relapse? I know everyone is different, but I am new to this.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Not at all, the key is to stay as positive as possible... Apologise to whoever for whatever and move on!
No point looking back, or shouldering tons of shame..What's done can't be undone.
We all make mistakes
Congrats on 2 days well done stay focussed, keep those shoulders back and your head up!
Old 02-05-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Xune View Post
Might be more helpful for family members to more easily cut through the BS that their addict family members throw at them.
Cut through the BS and then do what, exactly?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I find this study intriguing. It’s yet another piece of research to indicate that, for many individuals, there is a connection between morality and alcoholism. In order to feel shame a person must feel like they have done something wrong or at least that there is something wrong 'with' them. I suspect that for most alcoholics it is the former.

This would seem to indicate that, for many at least, quitting drinking involves a lot more than just quitting drinking. The often heard line (here at SR) that all that is required to stop drinking is a firm decision, or “big plan”, may not work for a whole host of people. Saying that it will, and that other considerations are superfluous, may in fact contribute to an individual’s feeling even more shame.

Another study, pointed out here on SR by coldfusion, stated that "...brain systems impaired in addiction are those in the prefrontal cortex that regulate...processes that the AA-type approach seems to target.” Here is the link to that one Neuroscience: Rethinking rehab : Nature News

Interesting that the AA “program” involves so much that targets guilt and shame. It’s resolution is likely a key ingredient for the sobriety of many. It’s interesting that the proof of it is coming from the scientific community….or perhaps not. Treatment centers, after all, have been routinely sending their patients to this “spiritual” program for decades.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by rmr View Post
Hi
I am new to SR and only have been sober for 2 days. I decided to stop drinking because of a very shameful incident. I am very disgusted with myself. Does that mean that I am likely to have a relapse? I know everyone is different, but I am new to this.
Hi rmr

I think most people are ashamed, even disgusted, with themselves to start with - it's a normal starting point and a natural reaction.

Most of us find the shame and disgust recedes as we start building a new life and a strong support network.

People who make positive changes in recovery are far less likely to relapse in my experience

I think it's only a possible relapse problem if we hang on to that shame and guilt and don't allow ourselves to get past it.

D
Old 02-05-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Some may also find this article on guilt and shame helpful........... Ernest Kurtz, Shame & Guilt
Old 02-06-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm guessing this is poor body language