Notices

The truth shall set you free

Old 02-04-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The truth shall set you free

Today I told my company everything about my past. I had 2 DUI's with the company car. They knew about the first one but never really asked many questions about the second. Basically I lied by omission which is the same as lying. Hard to live a sober life with that stress hanging over me. I will be terminated by the end of the day tomorrow. I do not have a license and will not until Oct 20th so finding a new job of equal pay will not happen. I am giving up a 6 figure job and my house for sobriety. It sounds noble but honestly it is the only thing I can do because I never want to go back to those dark days. I still have 8 days on this bracelet and when I lose my job I will have to go back to jail and serve my time which really sucks. I have been sober for over 5 months and want to keep moving forward and this was holding me back. I do not need prayers for me, I will be fine, I have the tools, but prayers for my children and family which will take it very hard. I have worked here 25 years. My wife is a stay at home wife which will not be possible now. We discussed this and supports me but tough times are ahead.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I truly admire your nobility, strength and courage FamilyMan.
Im so glad that you have a supportive family.
Who knows what diamonds and your family may find in this rough. Only time will tell.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Your courage is amazing. Your family has my prayers.

And there WILL be one in there for you regardless of your request.

Take care.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You as well as your wife have a lot of courage; I am inspired at the lengths you are going to live a sober life!
Old 02-04-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Prayers for your wife and kids, and even though you didn't want it, I said one for you too. You ARE doing the noble thing, you are taking responsibility and righting a wrong. That is courage that a lot of people don't possess. Good luck to you, and god bless.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

wow, it does say to go to any lengths.
you are truly an inspiration.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It does sound noble like I said but it is a big company with lots of resources so they would have figured it out eventually. My boss has been so supportive and I did not want him to get blindsided either.
The funny thing is that I was sitting in my basement Sat. looking down at the bracelet I wear for jail knowing I was going to be terminated. After 5 months I thought I would be in a better place. Then I realized I am in a better place. Through my alcoholism I hung on to the women I love and my children. I have sobriety and I am the person I always thought I was. My wife is proud of me again. What more can I want.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Im so proud of you FamilyMan!!!
Old 02-04-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I believe we get what we pray for but God's plan is seldom our plan. It is wonderful that you are sober and rebuilding the things in life that really matter. When we trust in him all things are possible
Old 02-04-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It sounds like you have been through a lot and have more to go through. However, your honesty and humility will lift the burden of keeping secrets. You are right to focus on what you do have. You can be proud of yourself and be the man your child can look up to.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Hi family man iam glad you are well and sober, I wish you the best of luck.

I hope you don't mind me giving my opinion but I would not do what you have done, you have worked 25 years for them and you have been sacked over 2 DUIs. I understand you having guilt around it and the whole going to any means stuff but to me self preservation has to balance with my sobriety. The world is a very tough place and sober or not we have to survive. Good luck. Hope your not offended by my opinion.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

((FamilyMan)) - Add me to those praying for your family and you. I admire your honesty. I also know that as long as we are holding on to "secrets" it eats at us.

Consequences from our actions are no fun, but the way I figure it...at some point, I'm eventually going to be DONE with dealing with those consequences, as long as I keep living my life the way I should.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-04-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I hear you Lionhearted. I did wrestle with that for a long time but it kept eating away at me and I was avoiding conversations just to keep getting by here at work. I did not like it and it was not fair to my boss who is a good man and very supportive. A couple people I spoke with about this had the same opinion as you and I can respect that.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Iam glad your thought long and hard about it and did not just make a heat of the moment decision. I can tell you one thing just from reading your previous post you are an inspirational man and you will get it all back and some....
Old 02-04-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Just wanted to add That I feel gutted for you, more than when you said you was going to jail for 30 days. I hope you find another great job mate very soon.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I support & applaud your decision FM...

secrets weigh us down and keep us tethered to that old life ...especially when we know that the odds are the truth will come to light.

I know it's hard, but I think you absolutely did the right thing and I know you'll know what I mean when I say that's truly priceless

D
Old 02-04-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

"..except when to do so would injure them or others."

It is not always a clear or easy decision. Wishing you the best.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

FM -

Oops....sorry...accidentally sent up a prayer for you & your family

While others disagree (understandably so) I see where you are coming from. I did the same thing back in early December. Like you, I thought long and hard about confessing vs. preserving my career. Deep in my heart, I knew the key to me remaining sober was to come clean and refuse to live under the litter of lies that were suffocating me.

How did you come out ahead of this situation? Peace. You gave your wife back the husband she loves. Your children will never forget your sacrifice and when they are grown, they will be amazed at the depth of your love for them.

A rough road is ahead for you and your family. But you're setting a very solid foundation on which to build a happy, healthy sober life and strengthening a special family bond.

You're an inspiration.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

FamilyMan - It's all been said, so I'll just send you some love, and best wishes for you and your family during this period of transition. I hope this chain of events leads you to an even better and happier life. Prayers going up for all of you during this time of growth and change.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you all very much. I get inspiration for a lot of places and the people here are definitely inspirational. There are so many gifts in sobriety and sharing openly with like minded people is one of them. Many people would think I am nuts to come clean but people who are alcoholics know the danger in living with lies and regrets.

I am sitting here in my office getting stuff together. My Vice President is in town so I am just waiting for him. Little difficult looking out the window each time you think you hear a car door shut. That is hard, I am not going to lie.