Notices

74 days, on vacation and feeling off

Old 02-04-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

74 days, on vacation and feeling off

Hey guys, I don't post often but figured this might be a good time. I'm currerntly 74 days sober and it has been quiet a road (detox and 2 inpatient rehabs last year). Things have been going well this time around, working my program, have a sponsor etc. I got to New Orleans today with my wife for vacation (she is extremely supportive). So far it has not been to bad, but every now and then, seeing as it is mardi gras, I do catch myself wishing that I was not an alcoholic so I could pop into any of the bars and do some proper drinking. I am staying strong and have been telling my wife how I am feeling, which helps. I also know that no matter what I tell myself, my drinking will never be the same again (meaning controlled). I just wanted to post, and get it off my chest. Thanks anyone for reading, and maybe it will help anyone who can relate! Hope everyone is doing well and has a good week!!
Old 02-04-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Man, that's quite the choice for a vacation after rehab. I guess it will test your resolve towards being sober though. Good luck to you.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, certainly not the most sober of towns. My wife is not a drinker or partier, mainly we are most excited to see the town and get some good food! I will be with her the whole time, so unless I pull some downright bulls*** move, it's just going to be a matter of managing my feeling towards the whole situation. Honestly, I'm excited to be with her, continuing to work on our communication, and getting some good grub. Best to all!
Old 02-04-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

What AA tools are you using?

Acceptance is a key here. It'd be nice, just not today; today I can't and choose not to put myself through drinking hell. It just doesn't work for me.

Enjoy the food and have fun in spite of!
Old 02-04-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well and it's so good that you can talk openly with your wife about your feelings. I hope you both enjoy your vacation.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am a few days behind you in sober time; haven't done much traveling/vacation yet but I'm admiring your open communication with your wife. Maybe your hotel or local information resource could direct you to activities that aren't totally focused on the party scene as I'm sure there is more then that going on. I would try to stay away from the crazy scenes as that may be a trigger. Vacations should be relaxing and hope you continue to do so!
Old 02-04-2013, 05:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

It sounds like you have a strong and happy marriage-glad you can enjoy vacation with your wife in a fun and interesting place. I think no matter where you go life puts temptation in your path. I find when I've faced the biggest challenges I feel the best about remaining sober. It strengthens my resolve "if I can make it through this I can make it through anything". You might also see some really great examples of why you DON'T want to drink during Mardi Gras lol

Congrats on your 74 days! Nice work!
Old 02-04-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I go to New Orleans often and there's a lot to do there without drinking. The food is incredible (which is something we don't appreciate when we're inebriated), and there are tons of museums, home tours, river boat rides, lots of shops, etc. .... I think you'll really enjoy it. And if you walk down Bourbon street at midnight, you'll most likely be grateful you're sober.

Hope you have fun!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support, advice and well wishes guys, i appreciate it a lot. Went to dinner tonight and felt much better. I use to enjoy day drinking very much, so I think that may have caught me off guard this afternoon. As everyone said, the food is amazing, and it is nice to be able to enjoy it (I had no appetite when drinking).

Sugarbear - to answer your question, some tools that I am using from Aa include identifying when I'm feeling irritated or "off" and trying to determine why, and make sure I think it through. My sponsor gave me some good meetings to go to as well, and I'm definitely excited to see what it is like, a little change of pace from meetings at home!

I wanted to add, this afternoon I was stuck in my head thinking "I was right, the only thing to do here is drink". As I saw tonight, that is not, and most likely never, actually the case. Just something that I was telling myself trying to rationalize.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

How about prayer, meditation, working the steps in situations, writing a diary or journal, reading some AA literature? There are so many tools to use when we feel stuff!

How is that food?
Old 02-05-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Get to a meeting!!!! I would be willing to bet there are alcoholics in New Orleans
Old 02-05-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Did my morning meditation this morning and as usual it has helped put me in a good place to face the day. I'm going to a meeting at noon, and can honestly say am excited to see what it is like down here! I. Forgot my big book ( didn't even think to pack it), but before I try to make excuses, I realized I have a copy on my ipad! (Gotta love technology!) other than that, we have a day of tours and food planned, looking forward to it.

And sugarbear, to answer you're question, the food so far has been as good as I was told it is. I had gumbo for the first time last night, and I couldn't be happier that I was sober for the experience, it was fantastic!

Last thing, if you had told me a year ago I would be running to meeting while on vacation, I would have died laughing, no way! I know Aa is not for everyone, but for anyone who is not sure, I can only say that I was the biggest non believer and wanted NO part of it. I have met some of the most amazing people thus far, people that can relate to what I'm saying, and although it took longer than I would have liked, I am happy that I am part of the fellowship.