Notices

New here... Apologize if Im repeating

Old 02-04-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here... Apologize if Im repeating

Hello. I just wanted to say hi, and introduce myself. I am currently trying to recover from my addiction. I am 30 and have been drinking heavily for about 8 years. The last year has really spiraled out of control and a week before christmas I lost my house, my job (not through drinking with that one) and my my husband left as he'd had enough of my mood swings and temper. So, luckily for me I have a supportive family and have been able to move in with my parents for the time being. I went a bit off the rails when I came back home after everything that had happened and its culminated in me admitting my problem to my family. I was referred to a community drug and alcohol service who advised me on how to cut down..Anyway, long story short, I did it too fast which ended me up in a&e for 2 days after having a pretty serious seizure which I have no recollection of. Thank god my father was around or I dont know what would have happened. That was the start of January. I am still drinking, less now (gone from maybe a litre of vodka a day to 2 bottles of wine-ish) on the advice of doctors that I shoudnt stop straight off again incase it triggers another fit. I am in contact with my husband daily and we are trying to fix things...The problem is I am still getting the same cravings/anxiety/being snappy if there is no booze around as I was before. As I am in a NHS alcohol detox service it is taking a lot time. I have a session with a key worker Wednesday and will hopefully be able to get into detox asap..I am terrified of having another seizure, as are my parents, which is why I am still drinking. My husband wont take me seriously until I am completely off the drink (understandably) so I am desperate to just quit>

I am scared how I will cope after, how I will manage in the summer when everyone is in beer gardens, how I'll be able to go on nights out with friends and not drink.

I just wanted to share, your all very inspirational people.

Thanks

x
Old 02-04-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think it is great that you are in line to get in to a detox especially as the seizures are a concern. It sounds like you have a lot on the line depending on you not drinking. You mentioned that you aren't sure how you'll be able to go out at night with your friends and not drink. The reality is that you will need to find other things to do with people that aren't drinking or that you yourself can do without drinking. Most of us who have a serious drinking problem and really want to get sober won't get ourselves in to situations where there is drinking until we are strong enough. For many that is a long time. You need to imagine yourself not drinking. If you think you will drink then you will. There is more to summer then beer gardens. You can do this. I know you are scared but your life will be so much better without the alcohol!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome Sian! You're in the right place.

7 days sober and feeling great!
Old 02-04-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing. Try not to think too far ahead, just take small safe steps. You are not alone, the changes that you work for will give you your life back. Be brave and trust the help that is there for you. All the best.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi sian - welcome

I agree with the others here - worry about summer when it comes - you'll hopefully be 4-5 months into this deal by then

all we can do is live our lives one day at a time...I found it helped me to think all I had to do today is do what I did yesterday and not drink

you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 02-04-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR Sian.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Sian

I had lots of questions too when I quit. I think I wanted everything to be sorted right away, but it takes time and there's quite a bit of emotional upheaval to deal with before you should think about going out with friends. It'll all come together eventually so don't worry about it too much, just concentrate on what you can do for yourself today.

Really glad you're here x
Old 02-04-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to have you with us, Sian. I'm glad you're reaching out for help. Now that you've joined us, you'll never be alone.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Oh the great british beer gardens lol, thats excatly the question I asked. It's an illusion in your mind them days are long gone by the sounds of your story. You can still sit in a beer garden just don't drink he beer.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone it's so comforting reading your posts x
Old 02-05-2013, 01:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Fingers crossed for your detox coming up soon.
You know where you want to be don't worry about beer gardens or night out there's so much more out ther for you .
Good luck.
John.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family!
Old 02-05-2013, 02:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I sat in a few beer gardens last summer ( all 3 days of it) not everyone was drinking alcohol, I was super cool drinking fizzy water and a slice of lime . It's all about perception, let it go concentrate on NOW . This weekend I was At a party , stayed 6 hours and enjoyed it all , stone cold sober Actually my hobby now is studying drunks and feeling smug that I ain't one of them lol.

You can do this, grind through the cravings and drink thoughts

Be sober, be cool.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Going into withdrawal. Not nice. I just can't stop the alcohol......or I get very, violently sick. This is bad. Really bad. I don't know know how I ever got myself into this position.

Another day wasted due to hangover, fatigue and generally feeling like crap. And I hate it.

Any suggestions? This has to stop. I don't think my body can physically take it much longer.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
instant

Welcome, great you have support and a plan to go forward.

It was only in retrospect that I found out all those "feelings" about the pleasures of drinking were a symptom of the addiction.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Sian!! So happy you're here!

When I first stopped drinking I spent countless hours thinking about the "what ifs" in the future. Ya know, "what if I want to go out with friends? how will I be able to not drink". "What if I want to go to the beer garden?".

I drove myself crazy and was constantly overwhelmed. Now I just focus on today. Today I will be sober. Tomorrow will take care of itself.

Best of luck with your detox. We all have faith in you!

Please keep posting to let us know how you're doing!!
Old 02-06-2013, 01:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have an appointment with the doctors today so I will see how I go