Notices

Thank you to everybody on SR who says "see a doctor"

Old 02-03-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thank you to everybody on SR who says "see a doctor"

Whenever somebody posts their concerns about their withdrawal (and these are the posts I love to read while trembling and sweating, eagerly seeking points of comparison to get an idea of whether I'll survive my own withdrawal) -- well, I'd like to genuinely thank everyone on this forum who doggedly suggests they go to a doctor or the ER. You guys saved my life.

After a terrifying ten-day bender which ended with me living out of my car drinking a 30-case per day and not eating, I finally crawled to my father's house and asked for help. He's old school. Together we tried to detox me with beer, one every four hours, then every six, and so on.

Three days later, and I never made it past five hours without flapping around like a dying fish, clutching at my chest in fear of a seizure. There was no way off this train. Booze wasn't going to cure booze. The only thing I did during those two sleepless nights was read nearly every post on this forum, particularly items of the 'help I'm shaking' variety. And after 48 hours, it finally sunk in:

I'm afraid for my health, I feel like I might die tonight. I should go to the ER.

This was the best decision of my life. They safely detoxed me, gave me a bed for two nights and re-nourished me, did all my bloodwork, x-rayed areas of concern, and brought in a psychiatrist and addiction counselor who are giving me the help I've been pushing away for nearly twenty years.

I'm sure the hospital bill will be outrageous, but it was the best thing I could have done for myself. I now have peace of mind and, more importantly, the knowledge that it's good to ask for help.

I was released today and one hour later I went to an AA meeting, which will handle the spiritual part.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi, Beige!

Your experience was similar to mine, but I did not stay at the hospital and had a very low-cost detox program. At least in this corner of the country, the government helps those who want to help themselves.

I recommend detox programs because they are a safe and get your recovery off to a good start.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

Great to hear your progress, well done
Old 02-03-2013, 11:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you're doing ok beige

D
Old 02-03-2013, 11:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds a lot like my last drunk (even the 10 days part). Thank God neither of us has to do that EVER again. I too did a medical detox (have had seizures in the past). The good news is that you are over that hump and it only gets better from here. Good for you for finding a meeting ASAP. I did 90 in 90 and feel it saved my life. You are not alone...you can do this.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Excellent news, and thank you for sharing your experience.

It may help to convince others to do what you did and be safe.

Your mention of the value of getting the complete medical workup is great, too, and something that people often forget. Aside from the detox, we've been wreaking damage on our bodies for a long time. Best to have everything checked out so any necessary follow-up can be conducted (future blood work, nutritional care, etc.).

I have a feeling you are gonna do very well, because you've demonstrated a willingness to listen to the experience of others. Very useful mindset to bring into recovery.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
LDT

So glad you are OK, Beige, and on the path to recovery! I could not detox on my own. Like you, the best thing I ever did was go to the E.R.

Good luck! Be Well!
Old 02-04-2013, 05:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Awesome to read. Thanks for sharing that - hopefully someone here will see what happened to you and do likewise. Detoxing can kill, no soft way of saying it.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I feel quite tearful....happy your here, happy you went to the hospital and happy you came back to tell us.

You never ever have to feel like that or go through that again.
Just never take that first drink.

Please, please keep making me tearful. They are tears of joy and happiness!

And thanks to your Dad too for trying to help you and keeping you safe.

My best to you xxxX
Old 02-04-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So glad you are doing better
Old 02-04-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad you are okay, and admire your strength.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad you are safe and on your way - thanks for sharing with us
Old 02-04-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great to hear that you are doing better, stay strong!
Old 02-04-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your experience.

How are things going for you now ?

Love
CaiHong
Old 02-04-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So happy you listened to your body and went to the ER!!!

Detox is not anything to mess around with. I hope your post encourages others to seek medical help when necessary.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Beige - Happy to have you back among the living. You will heal and feel better than ever. Thanks for letting us know what happened.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It's a breath of fresh air to hear that you went and are on your path to recovery. Inu experiance the bill wasn't that hefty , however, I didn't get X-rayed. There are ways to get assistance for the bill if you look around. Great job and good luck going forth! Awesome news!!!
Old 02-04-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad that you were treated so well and compassionately at the hospital. Good for you for doing what you needed to do.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Beige, I'm glad you went too, it's better and safer and on top of it, you got professionals to help you with what to do after. Great share.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the incredibly kind words of support. Means more to me than you know. Or maybe you do.

When I checked out of the hospital, the doctor said he'd like to keep me for one more day to make sure my detox was complete -- but at this point I was feeling much better and reassured and, frankly, I was going bonkers in that little hospital room while my new roommate watched Law & Order SVU with the volume cranked to eleven. Nothing like sex crimes at full blast to rattle your nerves.

The doctor agreed to discharge me but told me to take one last half-dose of diazepam the next day to complete my detox. I said okay and he wrote me a prescription for one pill, which seemed bizarre. When I filled the prescription, however, they gave me 10 pills.

Well, here's my little moment of triumph: This morning I ate my pill as instructed and went about my day, my first day among the land of the living, and yeah I was feeling rough (as I should, given how I've tortured my mind and body) but the fog gradually cleared after a good day's work and I finally began feeling like myself again. Got home, nerves still slightly frayed, and saw that bottle with those nine little pills. And that sexy little voice in my head whispered, Maybe just one will help you get some good sleep tonight. Maybe even two...

I flushed the pills down the toilet and I've never felt better.