Notices

Quitting without AA

Old 02-03-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lionhearted1 View Post
Yes you can, and statistically you have a better chance of staying sober if you quick on your own.
I have yet to see a stat that settled such debates on SR, but I've seen plenty of stats start them. I think we're always better off sticking to what we really know, which is our unique individual experience. I have 100% success rate without AA. There are people on SR who would quite rightly say they had 100% failure without it.

There are many ways to go, Cheeto. In my opinion, open-mindedness is the key to finding the right one for you.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
I have yet to see a stat that settled such debates on SR, but I've seen plenty of stats start them. I think we're always better off sticking to what we really know, which is our unique individual experience. I have 100% success rate without AA. There are people on SR who would quite rightly say they had 100% failure without it.

There are many ways to go, Cheeto. In my opinion, open-mindedness is the key to finding the right one for you.
Agree, one hundred percent.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I did.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm beginning to see it as this. AA if for people who welcome it and want it, or for people who have tried everything else possible and have no where else to turn. People can have great success with AA if they're open to the principles, willing to follow the guidelines, and not fight it at every suggestion. If not, IMO (in order for it to work) they need to be beaten into absolute desperation, which is the most fertile ground for the 12 steps to help.

It's definitely not for everybody, and lots of people have found sobriety through other means. Other things never worked for me (actually, nothing else really existed when I got sober), but AA did, and I'm completely happy with where my life is today thanks to it. There are others that feel the same with their chosen programs or methods of staying clean and sober.

The important thing is to find what works. Not necessarily what seems the most comfortable at first, but whatever it is that keeps you sober. And happy. Staying sober and miserable ain't no fun.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Joe Nerv
Staying sober and miserable ain't no fun.
I would agree. Luckily AA doesn't have a monopoly on happiness either.

Many do like a program that presents a design for living. AA fits that bill, as do many religions and philosophies outside of the world of recovery. Be clear though, that those who quit without a program are not just "dry". Many of us are "happy, joyous, and free" and have found serenity and indeed "wear it like a loose garment". Some of us just get there by cooking from scratch.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I've decided to go the non-AA route but have not ruled it out. I've found the dates and times of a local meeting and if I really start to struggle I will go.

Dr Scott Peck, writer of the book "The Road less travelled", had some interesting (positive) things to say about AA. This is a book well worth a read regardless of your recovery method.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
High on Life

Yeah sure. Before you rule out AA, have you tried it? I think recovery is one of those things that you have to be willing to try different things and see what works for you. That being said, never rule anything out unless you have tried it. This is your life you are talking about. I tried AA, then left after I decided the program was no longer a fit for me personally. In the beginning it gave me the structure that I needed, but I no longer require that much support.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
~sb

AA works well when one is hopeless and desperate and nothing else has worked.

I suggest creating a plan for cravings and certain outings which create anxiety in early recovery. Just my experience.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

As you've read here, many of us have stopped successfully without using AA. I stopped on my own 12 1/2 years ago and joined SR about 10 years ago. SR has been a constant in my life and always inspiring.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Grab onto whatever recovery tools work for you! Try them all and shake things up often. If you walk away from AA go back in 4 months and see if you'd like to explore that area again. You'll find what works for you and what doesn't. This journey is very personal.

AA works for me! God works for me and Prayer! Sober Recovery is another useful tool for ME.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I know people who have gone through AA and some are over 15 years sober while others have failed. Same deal with quitting on their own, works for some and not others. I'm sure I tried 50 times on my own and it didn't work so I went to AA on my own accord a month ago. So far so good and yes there are some things I don't necessarily agree with but it's helping me. I do have an open mind and I listen A LOT when people speak. I feel better after a meeting and I'm feeling better as a person. It's easier (for me) to have a support group of people who truly understand what I'm dealing with and are there to help. Whatever way you choose is the right thing, there is no wrong way to get sober
Old 02-03-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Yes, and much more,,
Old 02-03-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I am in AA because it really worked good for me as long as I kept being motivated to remain sober. The key is to do the footwork (steps, service etc.) and find some meetings you enjoy and connect with the people in the room...not all meetings are alike.
My godfather has not touched a drink or a drug in over 30 years and he is not in AA or any other program and neither is he a dry drunk, just a very spiritual man who loves his family.
I know someone too who back then would could not make it with AA but has been sober with Smart Recovery for some years now.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

without having access to specific stats, I'd say that more people worldwide, and probably in any given country, quit drinking without AA than with AA.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Yes mate.

All spokes on the same wheel, I reckon . . . .

Check out AVRT which helped me tremendously. As others have said though, you've got to want it.

SR is also brilliant.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Cheeto,
yes.
i'm one, sober a few years now.
you're in Vancouver, i see, as am i, and i happen to know that if you do want to go to face-to-face meetings, there are SMART meetings and an open LifeRing meeting.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:52 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I really enjoyed this thread, it's given me hope. A good friend of mine asked me to attend meetings for a year & I want to do it, but some of it has been really stressing me out & I'm already dealing with trauma.
I plan to continue and be supportive, but will they understand if I integrate other methods too & not become a hardcore member? Assuming we have the same goal, to be sober.
Maybe this question belongs in a different area.., I'm new here.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:55 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ntmu View Post
I really enjoyed this thread, it's given me hope. A good friend of mine asked me to attend meetings for a year & I want to do it, but some of it has been really stressing me out & I'm already dealing with trauma.
I plan to continue and be supportive, but will they understand if I integrate other methods too & not become a hardcore member? Assuming we have the same goal, to be sober.
I am having the same questions about that. I would not mind participating in AA by going to meetings here and there - but they seem to be very hard core and "all or nothing" types. With "nothing" not being an option....maybe if you check out my other thread I just posted, you will see some answers start coming in, or post your own new Q. Good luck.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:58 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by ntmu View Post
...will they understand if I integrate other methods too & not become a hardcore member? Assuming we have the same goal, to be sober.
The only requirement for most meetings is a desire to stop drinking. At the meetings I have been to, anyone is welcome if they are not disruptive.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:01 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Yes. My husband stopped opiates without AA/NA. He did enter a non 12 step rehab where the focus was on individual therapy. He learned a lot about himself through that, and now he is 10 months clean, and doing really well.