Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I received a message from the past - HIGHLY recommended for those in early sobriety!

Notices

I received a message from the past - HIGHLY recommended for those in early sobriety!

Old 02-02-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So, have you ever heard of a website called futureme?

Well, it's a site I found years ago that allows you to compose an email to your self or anyone else to be received at any date you decide in the future! So, to my surprise, I get an email yesterday that I sent myself back in 2006! Holy crap...what a crazy surprise. And it was ALL about DRINKING. Telling myself that if I'm still drinking, I really have to stop and it was long, insightful, funny to read and really reminded me of where I was 7 year ago (when I was 24!)

Then, I looked on the account I created (thank goodness I remembered the password) and I wrote my ex boyfriend something to receive in 2014! And you can't change it or read it before hand or anything. Ahhhh, fun times.

Anyway, I'm 98 days sober today and I really needed to hear myself talk during the height of my addiction. It was really crazy, but I nice little wake up call and reminder for me.

I would recommend this to anyone who is in early sobriety - send yourself something to receive down the road as a reminder of who you want to me. It was a gift for me. Truly amazing!

The site is futureme.org (and you can read other people's posts from all over the world because you can make them public or private. Super cool idea.

Have fun!
Old 02-02-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Interesting. Thanks for posting this. I may try it.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds a bit creepy to me, but glad you had a great experience with it.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow! What a crazy idea! But crazy good.

I will have to think about it.

I have been to weekend workshops where before leaving you write yourself a note and they mail it to you a month later. But for some reason this feels emotionally scarier to me in an email. Who knows why.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't know about sending things to other people (except maybe my children), but it might be a cool idea to get some surprise encouragement.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Personally, I want a site that allows me to send a message to my past self.

One I could open that would tell me I'm gonna regret this or that, that I'm doing (or not doing) at the moment.

Would I listen?
Old 02-02-2013, 12:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Thanks for the site info!

Lexie, I know I wouldn't listen! I was a real hard head!!!
Old 02-02-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

OMG 773, I kind of wished you'd share some of it!!

We did that at our treatment center to be mailed to us a year later. I got it and everything I wrote came true. I was still sober, happy, doing great and feeling better, and it was totally cool to read it again. Neat stuff!!