Notices

Going to need help today

Old 02-02-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to need help today

I feel like a complete broken record, but I'm just not going to give up on this. I know what sobriety feels like and I want it. For good. So I don't feel great because of the wine last night, and that will make today hard. Usually a hangover, small or big, makes me want to drink to "even me out". Whatever that means.

Anyway, I am not going to drink today. I am going to take my dog for a nice long walk, do some cleaning, shopping, and reading. I know it's going to be hard. I know the cravings will come and I know that particularly on a weekend since I am off it's easy to just act on the craving before even thinking.

Life is so much better sober, and as much as I know that alcohol still seems to call my name. I hate addiction, hate it, hate it, hate it.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you. Try not to concern yourself with long-term stuff. Just don't take the 1st sip between now and bedtime. Deal with tomorrow....well, tomorrow.
You'll be fine....lot's of support available for the asking.

All the best.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When alcohol calls you name, do not answer.

Have a good day.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well you know we're all here for you. I'm lucky that where I'm at the weather is fantastic today. After getting my toes done I am going to do whatever and just enjoy the day. Maybe go shopping.

Why not treat yourself to something today? That will hopefully help you feel better, a nice meal? A sugary treat?

Hope your day goes better than you think and succeed at not picking up that first drink.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Distract yourself with anything that you can, and maybe journal the good feelings that you have being sober today. You can get through this.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys...the cravings are big time today..even at noon. I took an hour long walk with my dog and the crisp air and bright sunshine felt amazing. I want to drink, but I decided to log on here instead and just change my way of thinking. Its just one day, and they are just feelings....
Old 02-02-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Pick up a copy of The Power of Habit, I'm reading it now. And start making new habits!! You can do it.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've been there and done that, felt that way too many times to even keep track of. I hate addiction too. So no matter how often I slip( which I hope not 2 again) I'm not giving up either. You are right, being sober is so much better. I hope your day gets better. Be strong and stay sober! You can do it.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Replace all alcohol in reach with healthy,
strong, encouraging tools of recovery that
can help you stay sober today. Focus on
doing all you can to not drink today.

Don't look behind you, because that was
yesterday and you will never experience
that day again. It's gone forever.

Don't look for tomorrow which isnt here
yet.

Today, is your day. The only day to live
life to the best of your ability sober.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

One day at a a time...
Old 02-02-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Your wanting to drink to "even out" is alcohol withdrawal. No way through it but through it. If you have any physical symptoms that concern you, it's best to see a doctor.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow..boy do I need this support today. Even after more than a dozen day ones in the past 18 months, today is one of the harder ones. I am on the verge of tears constantly and irritable as can be. Just on edge. Wanting to drink, but trying to remind myself of the consequences. Janie..I read a sample of "The Power of Habit" on my Nook, and really liked what little I read. Maybe I will treat myself and buy it. Right now I am reading "Sober for Good" and that is really helping too. I recommend that book highly, so relatable and motivating.
I am sticking with it, and I know I will be glad that I did tomorrow morning.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Forabetterlife,
Just remind yourself it does get better, get through today and tomorrow morning I guarantee you will wake up and be so glad you didn't cave in. As time goes on it will get easier but if you pick up that first drink it's back to square one.
it's great that you are readied and posting here these are positives steps towards long term sobriety.

All the best
Caihong