Notices

binge drinking

Old 02-02-2013, 12:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

binge drinking

hello this is my first time on this so here goes. i have been drinking for years HEAVY and im only in my late 20's and now am left with a problem when the weekend comes around its all i think about and when i go in the pub door i cant come out and when i awake the next day i want to go again. i have a family now and its not fair on them aswell as doin myself harm. its getting me down as i am a good person in every other way. just need a bit of help and to be aimed in the right direction.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You will find a lot of good support here from great people.

I am not sure if the link posting policy has changed, I had a quick look and didnt see anything so Id like to post this about THIQ, its very interesting, quitng earier rather than later will be a lot easier for you.

THIQ link - http://fedgeno.com/documents/thiq.pdf

Welcome to the forum!
Old 02-02-2013, 01:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

never heard of Thinq but I got sober non the less with support at SR welcome
Old 02-02-2013, 02:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was your age when I realized I had a problem. It rocked my world. But I still refused to go to regular AA meetings. They made me uncomfortable and didn't seem helpful. I didn't enjoy socializing either. I've always been a loner and shy. After 10 more years of drinking (almost) and so much wreckage you would not believe from such a good Christian professional gal like me! How could it be? Alcohol is what almost ruined my life. Such a nightmare.

I hope you'll read some stories about where alcoholism can take you and pray (yes pray even if you don't believe in prayer) that you will "see" how much alcohol has affected your life currently. It's affected it more than you even know right now. Pray to nothing. Just do it however silly you feel and keep doing it until something happens. Something will happen if you are quiet and sincere. Days? Weeks? Possibly. It's sometimes instant. It'll be a shift.

Start with that because atheists, agnostics and religious people use this in AA. Don't try to figure out anything long-term. Get to a recovery meeting. Get some coffee and listen. Really try to hear one thing that makes sense. Ask for at least one person's number. People love it when you ask so do not be shy. Ask for a "Big Book." Go home and read some of the stories in the back and read Chapter 2. Read page 86-87 every morning.

Read all you can on your disease because it's a gift. A true gift. Pain brings change. And a change in your life is what you will see whether you continue to drink or get into recovery.

10 years from now you will not be the same. You're an addict and will go through drastic change whether alcoholism brings you to your knees and it may and/or you're in recovery. Recovery will change your marriage positively, your parenting, your career, your self esteem and peace in your life. You will truly be a good man as you wanted to be.

I wish you the best. I hope you will be able, in time, view this affliction as a growth opportunity and a gift to have a new and better life. Because it is both those things.

Last edited by bostonluv; 02-02-2013 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Forgot to say welcome
Old 02-02-2013, 03:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well good for you that you have realized your situation. That in my opinion is huge at your age. Have you checked into any groups in your area? If your not comfortable with that at this time you can find a lot of information here aswell as support. You can do this.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks all. i no it wont be easy and a long road but it has to lead to somewere better. no i wasnt at any meetings yet im just trying this first as it would be very hard to do were i live. i would say i have few friend and the rest more drinking conpanions so it will be hard as they dont seem to see a problem with there way of life but i aint spending my life feeling sick hung over and lazy.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome, Friend. I am walking the same road.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

good for u. hope its going good. ive tried without any help and as ul know when the phone call came i ran but its amazeing how quick they go against u when u dont run.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hi ruddy,

There are many paths to sobriety . For me the key factor has been me being willing to go to any lengths to attain and maintain it .
Unfortunatly the difficult bit is at the begining , it really does get easier the longer you go without drinking in my experience .
Once other people get used to you not drinking, which happens supprisingly quickly they don't question it and you find out who were friends and who were just drinking buddies.

Bestwishes, M
Old 02-02-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Ruddy,

Congrats and all the best to you during this difficult time. I've tried to quit on my own so many times I've lost count. This go around I decided to give AA a try and it's really helping me. 1 month sober and feeling great today. Give it a shot, if it's not for you then no one forces you to go back and if it helps you like it's helping me you're set. It's just a bunch of people like us, people trying to get better and stay sober. Best of luck to you, regardless of how you proceed you're making some good choices
Old 02-02-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Ruddy
you'll find a lot of support here

regarding THIQs - it's an old idea from the 1970s and I gather not an idea thats held up under mainstream scientific scrutiny.

D
Old 02-03-2013, 01:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thanks all. u are all while good.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Unhappy

i broke and drank for two days. soo let down. really dont know where to go from here. im sorry guys.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello there. I know you are feeling upset with yourself. I've had a few slips myself. The important thing is you get back up, and try again. Try to figure out why you did, and the feelings and circumstances surrounding that drink. Then try a different strategy next time around. Don't be too hard on yourself though. For me this sobriety thing is proving to be difficult, to say the least. But I know its worth it. And I want it badly. Feel better soon and get right back at it.