Notices

confession time

Old 02-01-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
There is no benefit to drinking alcohol for anyone. There is no valid reason for you to start again.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Lemme see if I get this - quit drinking for 90 days to see if you can do it. If you can, then you go back to drinking. If you can't quit, then you know for sure. Something something.

According to this, nobody would ever ever quit for good. Maybe look at it this way - life is better without this depressant. It is OK for you to stop drinking for good, it really is. Even more important, YOU can quit drinking for good. The way you do it is just the way you have done it till now.

You have a great sober life ahead of you without this alcohol cr@p, and you can have it.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Going 90 days without a drink only proves you can go 90 days without a drink. It says NOTHING about whether you are an alcoholic. I could quit for any length of time you want to give me, as long as I knew it was temporary.

There are plenty of women (quite a few here at SR, I believe) who managed to stay quit for 9 months during pregnancy. Once they had the baby (and maybe waited till they were done breastfeeding) they found themselves drinking the same way as before the baby--maybe even more.

Do what you need to do to convince yourself, but just remember, not everyone makes it back after that last experiment.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Maybe you have to really look back on the 90 days you've just spent and do an honest assessment to get your answer. Did you sail through the 3 months barely thinking about booze? Was it easy for you to deal with the cravings or did you have to fight them off? Did you feel better physically? Did you need to go to meetings or frequent SR a lot to rack up the 90 days? Was it hard for you to be around other people drinking? If it truly were easy for you then maybe you don't have a problem with alcohol. Just the fact that you know about the test and are here on SR suggests that you feel you need to stop.

If you feel the quitting for 90 days was beneficial to you and that you're on the right track, then maybe take the focus off an end date and keep going thinking "not today" instead. You're doing amazingly well. If you sit down and make a list of why you want to drink again you may find it hard to do after all this sober time. I came up with "it would be fun to be silly with my friends again" and that was about the only thing I could think of. It was very easy at that point to think of reasons why I didn't want to drink again though.