Notices

Changes that come with the big change

Old 02-01-2013, 05:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Changes that come with the big change

What I find fascinating is all of the changes that come into your life after you decide to quit drinking alcohol.

I personally have been going running more, eating better, and working to improve myself at least a little bit each day since I took my last drink in December. These changes I've been making in my life weren't planned; after I took my last drink I didn't say to myself, "I'm going to quit drinking... AND I'm going to start eating better, running more, growing spiritually, and doing more things that interest me." Those changes were bonuses.

Thing is, I notice that this same phenomenon has been happening to a lot of people... a lot of my new friends on this forum are exercising, switching to green tea, learning new skills, and rebuilding relationships with their loved ones. Isn't that fantastic?

My theory is that each day you consciously decide not to take a drink (and for problem drinkers, it's always a conscious decision), you remind yourself that you're doing it for yourself; that your goal is to be a happier, healthier you. Every day you succeed in this mission, you feel a little bit better about yourself for remaining sober one more day, and your confidence grows. Your body and mind are both a little bit healthier than they were the day before. This increased confidence in yourself and in your future results in renewed vigor to improve your mind and body in other powerful ways. Every day you choose to abstain, you're choosing to improve your life, and this one choice spills over into every other decision you make.

Today, I choose not to drink!
Old 02-01-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Never say never...

Originally Posted by Ruffian View Post
My theory is that each day you consciously decide not to take a drink (and for problem drinkers, it's always a conscious decision), you remind yourself that you're doing it for yourself; that your goal is to be a happier, healthier you. Every day you succeed in this mission, you feel a little bit better about yourself for remaining sober one more day, and your confidence grows. Your body and mind are both a little bit healthier than they were the day before. This increased confidence in yourself and in your future results in renewed vigor to improve your mind and body in other powerful ways. Every day you choose to abstain, you're choosing to improve your life, and this one choice spills over into every other decision you make.

Today, I choose not to drink!
I like your theory Ruffian!
Old 02-02-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In related news, I just weighed myself, and I have lost 8 pounds since this time in January! Not too shabby, especially considering I wasn't even trying to lose weight. I credit this to the "Beer Free Diet".

Anyone else have any similar experiences?
Old 02-02-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, absolutely!

I think of it as a ripple effect. I started long walks right after supper because that was such a hard time for me. I just knew I had to get out of the house. But, the bonus was finding myself in much better shape physically, actually paying attention to what was going on in my neighborhood, talking to my husband with no cell phones, etc in the picture. It was great. And, that was twelve and a half years ago, and I'm still going strong.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruffian View Post
In related news, I just weighed myself, and I have lost 8 pounds since this time in January! Not too shabby, especially considering I wasn't even trying to lose weight. I credit this to the "Beer Free Diet".

Anyone else have any similar experiences?
I'm the opposite man......... When I binge, I don't eat properly, at times not eat at all.. I'm so damn fat now

But feel more energized and certainly happier... I promise to hit the gym soon...
Old 02-02-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ruffian, I know, right?? That sounds like me too, things just go better, PERIOD!! Glad to have this going back to the top of the forum, you made some awesome, and positive points. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I decided at Xmas after a works party, when I over indulged far too much that I had to change and have consciously tried hard to cut down....until now 2 days ago I thought stop messing about with this idea and just do it...you know it's right. I already exercise a lot, do yoga play golf, eat healthily and then poison my body with alcohol ...wine usually and every now and again it's too much wine..I sometimes don't even enjoy drinking the stuff.....change does have to start somewhere and when you know it will have benefits...it's got to be the right thing to do...so well done to all you regulars on here...I'm new today and want to gain some strength to do the right thing....for me and for my relationship...I can already see that the healthy , positive discussion and comments can only motivate or at least I hope so....until tomorrow.