Notices

Our Sober Weekend Together! Feb 1 - 3! Check In

Old 02-01-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm driving up to a friend's wedding in Malibu tomorrow. To be followed by yet another gift of sobriety: A midnight drive back down the coast, windows down, music up, nothing at all to worry about (with the possible exception of a speeding ticket).

Ah, the freedom of it all. Gotta love it.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:23 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

RAA.. That's awesome! Have fun and drive safe. I have driven through Malibu up the coast before and it is wonderful.

Soberlicious... Yeah he's a tool. I am not biting. No need for that any more.

I have such excitement for tomorrow. From getting up to spending the day getting things done.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I liked reading those posts. Very nice theme.

I am going to a new AA group tomorrow for the first time. I had it on recommendation that it was a great meeting so giving it a try.

I also just picked up the new lens for my camera today at the post office. On Sunday morning I am going to practice a new type of long exposure photography outdoors. It's very very cold here so I might not last long out there! I am then going to watch the superbowl at home on my couch, probably solo but i will be calling and texting friends during the game.

Enjoy your new furniture and nice work getting rid of that text!
Old 02-01-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Tomorrow going to see MAMA (horror film) with a friend, and on Soberbowl Sunday, another friend and I are contemplating alternate programming by heading over to LACMA (L.A. County Museum of Art) to finally see the Stanley Kubrick exhibit. I like football well enough, but I like 2001, THE SHINING, and CLOCKWORK ORANGE artifacts more - and maybe the crowds will be less!
Old 02-01-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hello
Tomorrow is our big outing lol! Walmart and the diner for dinner. Yes this sounds quite dull, but there is a spin to it. Jeremie (my son) is very hard to take in public, melt downs caused by overstimulation. He has been doing very well lately. He actually puts a few things in the cart himself Then, we treat him to his favorite dinner. A few years ago, when I was drinking, I wouldn't dream of taking the chance of shopping with him. I couldn't deal with it, I wasn't feeling good, I, I, I, was all I thought about, never how he felt. So, tomorrow, we will out and about. Saturday night is also when my fiance and I go to an AA meeting actually together. Sunday, my fiance works, so Jeremie and I watch movies and snack. No big stuff, but these 2 men in my life love me unconditional, everyday.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:17 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Iamnoone that sounds like an awesome weekend! I bet a Kubrick exhibit would be so cool to see. And I'm going to see Mama on Sunday! Enjoy!
Old 02-01-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Heathersweeds...I experience the same with my son. I have always taken him...regardless of the meltdowns. Repeated exposure to the edge of his comfort zone is how he has made the most progress, but as you know, it's not for the faint of heart lol. It has gotten much better over the years but one never knows when it will be "one of those days". Society certainly reacts differently to a 2 year old meltdown than a 15 year old meltdown. The former causes eyerolls, the latter, fear. While awareness has certainly increased, autism is still largely misunderstood.
I feel ya
Old 02-01-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

It's going to be a quiet weekend here. Trying to find activities for mom to do and get some work done. We'll go to a pre Superbowl party at the local bar for a little bit so she can see her men lol she can't remember my name, but she can still flirt up a storm. Then back home on the couch with boyfriend and the cats to watch the game and eat too much.

Sounds like people are doing some really cool stuff-glad everyone is checking in. It's nice to see little slices of life from all over. So many different ways to stay sober and create nice moments
Old 02-01-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Tomorrow I am volunteering at an aid station for a 50 k trail run. The weather is supposed to be decent!
Old 02-01-2013, 08:50 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I had the most productive day in 4 years today. Found an empty wine bottle in one of my vanity drawers. I looked at it for a minute. Thought about everything I have been through from the first drink of my relapse to indescribable agony of my recent withdrawal. My vanity has baskets of creams, eyeliners, a dusty bottle of Lauren's Romance. Everything has been sitting there untouched since my first drunk. A lot of dust. It is like looking at a room where someone died, leaving all their things behind. God I am on a trip.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:58 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Step meetings are, by far, my favorite type of meeting. A discussion meeting where you have to hear someone talk about how their job sucks, hear another drunkalogue, etc. has no interest for me. I want to hear how you got sober and how you stayed sober using the 12 steps.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'm going to be sober this weekend for sure! Tomorrow I have to work a little also do some stuff for a volunteer group I'm with. Tomorrow night going with a friend who knows I quit drinking to another friend's boyfriend's birthday party. We have a clear escape plan plus I won't know anyone so no one will really care I'm not drinking. Sunday not sure yet, got invited to a Super Bowl party witha bunch of people I don't know (Again) so honestly thinking of making an excuse and staying home. My husband is currently at the SB so that kind of sucks for me but oh well I'm making the best of it!
Old 02-01-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I did some reading first thing, did housework, went into town.
Attended an aunties 60th & when went to leave she told me how much me & my children meant to her & what a great job I was doing of raising them on my own.
Went grocery shopping.
Tommorow I am going to travel just out of town with my children & meet with my best friend & her kids & have a picnic lunch at a lake & go swimming.
Nice.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:30 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

An Excellent day!

I went down to the coast and parked my car, to get out and smell the ocean.
I started walking along the coast, enjoying the sunshine and smiling at all the happy people out enjoying the beautiful day. It was so nice to see folks running and biking or just walking with their friends and family members. Several people had their children with them and they were so excited and happy.... there is just something special about having complete strangers smile at you, especially when they are kids!

I ended up walking about 2 miles and ended up on the end of the Wharf, listening to the Seals barking and carrying on and sat down to enjoy the sun.
Then I made my way back to my car, completely renewed by the smell of life that comes from the ocean.

Who needs booze! Not Me!!
Old 02-01-2013, 11:34 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

This is an awesome post. I am going on Day 6 tomorrow and don't think I'll have too much trouble but you never know....going to pick up something to drink other than beer for Sunday, and I guess I can use up my beer calories on yummy food? jalepeno poppers anyone? Hang in there all.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:20 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thanks Ken

I'm on day 56,furthest I've been in 20 years. Not much planned as my son is ill so lazy day today. Just waking up early on Sat,sober is still wonderful. Hope I never forget how special it is

Happy sober weekend everyone
Old 02-02-2013, 01:11 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Oh no I've woken up in the foulest mood this morning and I can't seem to shake it! Ok, I need you all parading through here right now... I need clowns, comedians, jugglers, acrobats...

Thank goodness I don't have a hangover though. I think it was lack of sleep. My son was dropped home 11.30 after babysitting, of course by then I'd already nodded off with a book. That little power nap kept me awake until about 2. No problem I thought, DD won't wake til 8... 5am. 5!!! Aaaargh. Lol.

Sorry just needed to get that little rant out. I do feel better for it. I'm going to stick some music on and have a clean up seeing as DD has gotten into my bed and is about to fall back to sleep watching a film!
Old 02-02-2013, 03:42 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Feeling better now. You can cancel the parade

Have had a good couple of hours cleaning, even found it strangely cathartic taking my Dyson apart and unblocking it (huh?!) Teenage son seems to think that it will magically hoover up anything... I've found numerous whole chocolate bar wrappers, several 2p's and a stick! A stick?!!

Going to take DD out for a walk whilst the sun is shining. Have a great Saturday everybody
Old 02-02-2013, 03:49 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Checking in on the morning of Day 5.

Went to dinner with my wife's boss and his wife last night, as their guests. Obviously, I knew there would be alcohol available at the restaurant, but I wasn't really aware that at Le Restaurante des Fancies Pants the cocktail is served like the first course. My wife told me later that I didn't look awkward declining a cocktail, but it sure felt awkward. I wanted one, also, but I know where that leads for me, and I wanted my sobriety more. The host didn't make it uncomfortable. He asked with a raised eyebrow (he has seen me drink before - but not drunk) and I just said it wasn't on my diet plan. He mentioned briefly that when he wants to lose weight he skips on the booze as well. And that was the end of it. The others had wine with dinner also, but I was fine with my still water.

My wife mentioned on the way home that it would be nice if she could have purchased just 1 glass of wine 'to go'. I showed off a little and stopped at a bar where she had a glass of wine and I had a club soda and lime. Oddly, that felt less risky to me than dinner. She seemed happy with me, and I was in the mood to put some moves on her when we got home, and there are some things I like even more than being drunk.

Slept pretty well, and now I am gonna have breakfast with my friends at SR and then go take my finance exam with my brain not sluggish from alcohol.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:09 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

You all are so cool. I had a great wake up this morning reading everyones goings on.

Its great to read about everyone doing well.... But I remember when I was not and I would not post even though I wanted to. So if thats you still say hello.

This is about being new at this and not prefect!

For me? I slept for the first time on the new bed. It seemed so much softer in the store... LOL Oh well... my back feels ok. But now need new pillows.

Trying to get an appointment for a massage today. They did not have the time I wanted but I will call again this morning. They have a program that you can join monthly and get all kinds of benefits and discounts. I think a monthly massage may be a good thing for me to to.

I realized I have a very open weekend. But the other alcoholic in the house is at least in a good mood and strong that I dont have any one tugging on me. Its all about me and spending my sober time.

Good to see you all this morning!

Ken