Notices

Looking for a little support

Old 04-24-2004, 04:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Another Long Rookie Thread...

Looking for a little support

Hello all. I'm a mostly off-the-wagon alkie who's done recovery/rehab too many times. Had a rough night last night and looking for some folks to vet with, please help me through a miserable day.

Thanks in advance.

Man’s youth is a wonderful thing; it is so full of anguish and of magic and he never comes to know it as it is, until it is gone from him forever.
—Thomas Wolfe
Old 04-24-2004, 04:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Re: Looking for a little support

Hi there mrhodes
Welcome to SR!

if its recovery you are looking for , you sure have landed in the right place .

You will find heaps of support here

my name is lee, Alcoholic

HUGX
Lee
Old 04-24-2004, 04:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dan

No worries. Spit it! I'm listening. There's an informal men's chat at 10 eastern tonight. So what's got ya all up in knots? By the way, my name's Dan. Stick around. The gang's gonna be here any minute. Sit a spell and ease up. And welcome home!
Old 04-24-2004, 04:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Hi Mr. Welcome to SR! My name is Trish and I am an alcoholic.You will find lots of support here.I can identify with those rough nites.Ive had more than my share of those and the awful feelings that go with them.I joined a support group some months ago and it is key to my not drinking today.My heart goes out to you and I hope you find the peace that I have found.Hang in there! Trish..peace..and prayers for you,
Old 04-24-2004, 04:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

HEY MRHODES WELCOME! GREAT BUNCH OF FOLKS HERE.YOUR IN THE RIGHT PLACE IF YOUR LOOKING FOR HOPE TODAY.STICK AROUND.
STAY STRONG ted
Old 04-24-2004, 04:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mrhodes,

I'm glad you found us here at SR. We can offer you lots of support and understanding and we're a great bunch of people.

Hang around and get to know us.

Love, Anna
Old 04-24-2004, 05:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was away from the computer for a bit...thanks all for getting back to me. I'll try to give you a concise version of my situation...

My girlfriend (almost fiance, three years strong) is a life-long teetotaler, her dad died driving drunk. I don't drink too often anymore, but when I do, I do, as I'm sure you all understand. Did so last night, with a car, and she's throwing me out (as you can imagine, it's happened before). I'm kind of lost now, she's not here (we live together) and not speaking to me and my normal reaction is to get drunk today. I'm trying to stay sober, and I thank you all greatly for responding to me. I plan to use this message board in the future before I drink. Basically, it's probably better for me to end this relationship, but she's been a rock and kept me very sober. I know that if I'm on my own I'll resort to heavy drinking, missing work, etc.

BTW, my general stance is against the "usual" recovery methods. I like to take accountability for my actions and not fall into the trap of thinking that every time I drink the world will end. At the same time, that enables me to fall into these very predicaments because I think it's no big deal, when obviously it is. I'm always looking for people that share my belief that you can work hard to conquer this without having to resort to AA or traditional rehab. Thanks for listening.
Old 04-24-2004, 05:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dan

http://www.smartrecovery.org/

The above link will take you to a cool place. I use AA and NA. But I also use some of the things I have learned at the SMART website and in discussions here with other members. You stayed sober today, avoiding your usual pattern and that's a big step. The main thing for me is to be able to talk to others like me in times when I feel vulnerable to the drink or the drug. I am not a religious man but am very spiritual and I've had the good fortune of finding most of what I need in the rooms of AA. Sounds like you're at a turning point. This could be a great time for you. Best of luck my friend.
Old 04-24-2004, 05:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

heh mister
echos of my story in yours. but unlike you, i had w-aa-ay too much ego to reach out and ask for help. And, like you, AA was not for me. but then i pretty much lost anything else i had going for me, so i did rehab and they had me going to meetings and there were some pretty wild folk doing some pretty cool things with their lives and i thought "i am tired of being a loser". I picked the meetings that had lots of humor and zany energy. worked for me, but there are other methods and these forums can give you insight into 'em. We are all pulling for ya!
mackat
"as long as i keep doing what i'm doing, i'll keep getting what i've been getting"
Old 04-24-2004, 05:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks, DangerousDan and mackat. I've checked out the smart recovery stuff before, but then I went to a local meeting and found the same old stuff there. I'm a music guy, so I've often found strength in Wharf Rats (Grateful Dead) and the Phellowship (Phish). But it seems to me that most people subscribe to the disease theory, no matter how hard they try to resist. I guess I'm a classic case of denial on paper, but I'm not actually in denial. I know I can't drink responsibly, and I just suffer through each day. I realize that many before me have gone through this and have found things that work, I guess I'm still searching. Thank you for being there for me today. I'm listening to Johnny Cash right now, which can be seen as good or bad, depending on how you inpertpret it, which gets to the blood and guts of our eternal conundrum.

Nothing seems to kill me, no matter how hard I try.
—Soundgarden
Old 04-24-2004, 05:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Dan

I just found out about trey anastasio by coming here! The main thing is fellowship man, of any kind. I know of a musicians in recovery message board if you want the link. If you know inside that it's enough, you'll take the steps necessary to stay sober. By the way, only my enemies call me Dangerous!
Old 04-24-2004, 05:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Dan (w/o the "dangerous"), you've helped me more today than you could know. Thanks for just being there.

Please send me musician recovery links if you have a second.

"I'm the man on the mountain, won't ya come on up..."--Jagger/Richards

P.S. Mick's a good recovery story, but Keith...
Old 04-24-2004, 06:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Dan

Keifer... He he! I was just looking for that link. I'll ship it to you either here or in a PM when I find it. No worries! Hope things are smooth for you the next 24.
Old 04-24-2004, 06:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Dan

http://health.groups.*****.com/group...ing_Musicians/

It's a ***** thing though. Might have to join!
Old 04-24-2004, 06:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hopefully Healing Up

Hey there mrhodes

I dont believe we have met before. My name is Roy and I too am an "alkie" so to speak. I have been sober seven weeks now and did it by myself with some major support from this site, that is. I came here with beer in hand and quit the next day. I am not a twelve stepper myself nor most of the conventional methods so I chose one way for me. To quit. Thats it in a nutshell. I just quit because to me that word has only one meaning and that is to not do whatever it is again. To quit is not a temporary word for me. I stopped saying try and just decided to quit for good. This is the longest that I have made it in over ten years so it must be working. I drank for over 20 but started trying to "quit" about ten years ago. On and off the wagon many times, therefore the name "tryinagain". Anyway, it is just like anything else, you have to want it bad enough to do it. When you want it that bad, you will stop at nothing (or in this case start at nothing) to achieve it. I dont like what alcohol does to me and against me so I decided to "quit" for me and for everyone around me as well. Whatever path you choose, I am sure that you will find one that works for you. Well, nice to meet you and I hope your evening is going well or as well as can be expected.
Peace,
Roy
Old 04-24-2004, 06:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi Mrhodes,

Welcome to SR! This board was established for those seeking support in recovery. You don't have to be a member of or allied with any organization. Just wanting to quit is good enough. You'll find an abundance of varying degrees of support. Glad you found your way here.

Roy-

Kudos Man!!
Old 04-24-2004, 07:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sweet Sounds of Heaven

Hello Mrhodes,

Welcome to SR it is a great place for support & healing. It is one of my tools for staying clean.
I see you are a stones fan. Exile on main st. "Loving cup" one of my favorite songs.
You have been welcomed by some of the best. Stick around this place is magic.
Old 04-24-2004, 07:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Helo Mrhodes. I'm Marty. An Alcoholic. Great job on deciding not to drink tonight! :thumb Great job posting here! I can relate to what your going through. My wife was always threatning to leave, get a divorce. I always knew that If she did, it would be over for me. I'm thankfull to be sober here today, and that has a lot to do with what Dan mentioned below: fellowship. I personally need the support of others of my kind, with my alcohol problems. Weather alcoholism is a disease, or just caused by a weak charactor, or whatever, its still a problem. I am personally finding fellowship through AA, and also here at Sober Recovery. Best of luck to you.
Old 04-24-2004, 08:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! I'm going to sleep, sober. Please drop me a line tomorrow so that tomorrow is as good as today.

"Please see for me her hair's hangin' long..."--B. Dylan
Old 04-25-2004, 05:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Mr.Hodes... I guess I am the last one to reply, but it's good to have you here man... Stay strong, and use this forum for support.. It has really helped me stay sober !!

TG28