Notices

My Plan of Action - Thoughts Please

Old 02-03-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

My recovery had A LOT to do with knowledge. I learned lots of new things after I decided I just wasn't going to drink anymore. I learned about different parts of the brain and how they interact, I learned about meditation, about urge surfing and mindfulness.

I also learned to put some 'emotional space' around my thoughts, to take away some of that urgency they used to have. I learned to accept that I get an urge to drink from time to time and that I don't have to react to it, and I learned that these urges get weaker and less frequent as the days and weeks, and now the months and the seasons go by.

I learned that there are all sorts of things I can do now since getting sober, so I have returned to some of my passions I neglected for a decade or two. I like the sort of things that take develop skills and mastery, and while I haven't mastered them and may never do that, I am much better at them now than I have ever been.

I learned to believe in myself, that I could stay sober for good. I believe you can do it too.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:38 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Urge surfing was really useful to me Davey:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

D
Old 02-04-2013, 03:27 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
instant

Davey

the things that helped me is that my sister and my wife support me, by knowing about my sobriety and hearing about my challenges I have faced. I think someone you know 'knowing' really helps. I have several friends who know and support me but I don't confide the details.

The other thing is daily SR. It maintains a connection with the problem and the solution. We share together.

The daily practice of gratitude helps me keep perspective- see the thread section for gratitude.

Find something to keep you interested. I have bought a guitar with my money and written a few songs. When I get to to two years I am buying an expensive acoustic guitar to go with the Gibson SG.

All that is in addition to rebuilding my life, which does take a while (work in progress)
Old 02-05-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Really getting the cravings today, watching the clock again until the shops close. I just need to hold out and I'll be past the hardest part. I keep reminding myself that it gets easier after this, oh there are still cravings but they become easier to handle.

Looking into urge surfing, interesting idea thanks.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by DaveyT View Post
...some form of plan seems a good idea.
Your initial post was about forming a recovery plan. How you coming along with that? You solicited ideas. Putting any into action?

A solid plan will account for cravings and urges, along with a daily recovery regime to maintain sobriety.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Your initial post was about forming a recovery plan. How you coming along with that? You solicited ideas. Putting any into action?

A solid plan will account for cravings and urges, along with a daily recovery regime to maintain sobriety.

I outlined my plan in the first post, that hasn't changed but I've also been looking into AVRT and craving surfing. I've already used a number of techniques like everytime I get a severe craving and feel like folding I put the money I would spend on alcohol into an envelope, when I'm 6 months sober i'll buy something nice as a reward.

So yeah I've been listening and I'm sticking to my plan and tryign to incorporate new ideas where I think they will work.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:10 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Not too great today but that's really because I'm suffering some insomnia It happens very rarely for no apparent reason that I've been able to pick out. I would say once a month it comes along and messes me up for a few days. I'll have to stay awake all today to get my sleep pattern back to normal now which is just going to wreck me. The health condition I have is affected by lack of sleep so today will be physically exhausting and very painful. Just taken some pain meds to head it off (my pain meds are not addictive).

I've been ok with cravings although yesterday they were starting to seriously creep up on me. I needed some milk and other things so I walked to the local shop and of course I had to pass the alcohol to get to the till. It was hard going but not as hard as I thought it would be. On the walk there I really was scared I couldn't resist but as I got closer to it I found myself first tensing and then relaxing once I knew I wasn't going to grab any. That's another victory for me to keep in mind.

I've been keeping a regular diary, it's interesting to read back over only the last 5 days or so. Sometimes I write in it 4 times a day depending on how the urges are. Definitely something I would recommend to others as it helps you recognise triggers better. Unfortunately for me I don't seem to have many specific triggers I can then work to avoid. I think this depends on why you start drinking.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:19 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DaveyT View Post
I'm sure people don't want daily updates but I find posting these updates and having some accountability is really good for me.
We want daily updates! They help you,and they help us too Davey.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

My reply above this one was done at around 1am or something after being awake for 24 hours or so. I've managed to stay awake for the rest of the day, so that's 36 hours awake I think. But hey it's 11:30pm so at least I can go to bed and rest properly. Almost falling asleep at the keyboard lol so that's a good sign. Stupid insomnia is really unpleasant, so happy it's a rare thing for me.

Cravings have been awful today, being awake this long puts a lot of stress on anyone but for someone with my physical problems it's a lot worse. My whol body is in pain and exhausted. Sort of wishing I had taken my doctor up on his offer of stronger painkillers but they're addictive so I don't want to risk taking them. The only addiction I've ever had is alcohol but if I can have one then I could have another I guess.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hey Davey, glad you made it through today, insomnia is a nightmare, I suffer from it a lot so you have my sympathy. I think you are right to avoid the strong painkillers if they could become addictive, cross addiction is so easy in recovery. Hope you get a good sleep and feel better tomorrow.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:35 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I think I'm at a point where daily updates aren't needed. I might start updating once a week or just when I'm feeling particularly bad. I'll stil be reading SR every day though because it really helps.

Things are going ok, I haven't been feeling a real need to drink today, coming up on a couple of weeks sober. I have done two months before so I know I can at least do that again. This time though I want to stay off for good, I know stumbles happen but I would prefer not to have one.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Glad you're hanging in there Dave, hope you got some rest too.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I look forward to your updates and hope you'll check-in again soon.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you continue to do well!
Old 02-12-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I had an awful day today, in a lot of pain and it made it so very difficult to resist drinking. The cravings came thick and fast, resulting in a headache as I had to constantly resist. I even started shaking a little because it was so hard resisting and caused some anxiety. The anxiety I think was the fear of drinking again, of giving in. It went away once the cravings started reducing.

Still sober but exhausted with the effort. The last few days have been good so hopefully tomorrow will be better again.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry you're in pain Davey - hope tomorrow is better

D
Old 02-12-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Davy- I have been posting in the feb 2013 class forum- its a great group of people you should join us there so we can help support you
Old 02-12-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hope tomorrow is better for you Davey!
Old 02-12-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Stick with it davey, you have done it before you can do it again mate
Old 02-12-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Well I think this is about 2 weeks sober so it's a good start. I'm glad I'm past the acute withdrawal.

I've come to realise that originally I started drinking just socially with friends and the alcoholism just snuck up on me, it isn't rooted in any deep psychological problem. However I developed an unpleasant, pretty painful and wearing condition (unrelated to alcohol consumption) and I've been drinking the alcohol on days when I have a lot of pain. It helps me get to sleep.

A year or so ago my doctor gave me some strong painkillers for about 2 months when I was in an especially large amount of pain but I told him I didn't want to stay on them because they're addictive (oh the irony). I stopped taking those without any problems but now I'm in a difficult situation. If I'm in pain it makes resisting alcohol harder, the temptation to drink to get rid of pain is pretty massive. On the other hand I'm in early sobriety and while painkillers would take away my pain and so take away one of the big reasons for drinking, I'm scared that I'm vulnerable to addiction at this early stage. I don't want to swap one addiction for another!

Not really sure how to proceed. I've been prescribed non-addictive painkillers before but they ruined my stomach after 3 months so I can't really use those. I'm going to have to think it over and come to some sort of decision I suppose.